PDA

View Full Version : Sony cuts price of much-anticipated PlayStation 3

Paul-Angelo
09-22-2006, 06:40 AM
AP-JAPAN SONY PLAYSTATION
Sony cuts price of much-anticipated PlayStation 3, as video game wars heat up
By HANS GREIMEL
Associated Press Writer

TOKYO (AP) - Sony Corp. said Friday it will lower the price of its much-anticipated PlayStation 3 video game console, heating up the competition in the next-generation gaming war against rivals Microsoft and Nintendo.

The announcement comes just days after Microsoft announced that it would roll out an external high definition DVD player for its Xbox 360 in an effort to match the PlayStation 3, which is due to be released later this year with its own Blu-ray DVD technology.

Sony will cut the price of its basic PlayStation 3 model in Japan to 47,600 yen ($410), from an originally planned 59,800 yen ($515). That puts the PlayStation 3 in the same range as the combined basic Xbox 360 and HD DVD player in Japan, where the duo will sell for 49,600 yen ($427).

The price cut affects the basic PlayStation 3 model, which comes with a 20 gigabyte hard drive. Another upscale version of the PlayStation 3 will have a 60 gigabyte hard drive, but Sony is leaving its pricing to retailers.

The announcement could give the PlayStation 3 a badly needed boost in Sony's home market.

The launch of Sony's PlayStation 3, initially planned for earlier this year, has been postponed twice. A decision to delay PlayStation 3 in Europe for four months until March was announced earlier this month.

The PlayStation 3 will hit stores in Japan on Nov. 11 and in the United States on Nov. 17, but Sony now expects to ship only 2 million units by year's end instead of 4 million as originally planned.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4206127.html

EnlightenedPixel
09-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Hm, basic only eh? Well I can only hope retailers follow suit with the premium package and nock it down just as much.

zzacmann
09-22-2006, 07:18 AM
I dont know how they can say that retailers will get to decide the price. By saying that, they are really saying that they are not changing the price of the premium version. Ive worked retail before. Theres very little or no markup on game systems, ipods, computers, and laptops. They make all their money by charging 2 to 3 times the cost for the accessories. So the retailers are going to charge Sony's suggested retail price and not one penny less.

heavyness
09-22-2006, 07:22 AM
i wonder if this price will also drop in America?.... and Europe when they get it next year.

but remember, that's the Xbox 360 PLUS the HD-DVD add-on.

you can just get the Xbox 360 in Japan for only ¥29,800 (about $250) and it comes with a copy of Blue Dragon. you don't need a next gen dvd format to play games on the 360.

[link] (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/20/tgs-hd-dvd-add-on-hits-japan-nov-17th-for-19-800/)

ThomasMahler
09-22-2006, 08:17 AM
Wow, now that's bad marketing on Sonys side. First you piss off users with a pricepoint that is ridiculous for a gaming console (come on, 600 Dollars?), then they give people months and months to complain about it and maybe even buy their competitions product and THEN, again months before the launch, they lower the price of their console?

kojala
09-22-2006, 09:40 AM
they cant publish games on xbox360 for hd-dvd format, they have to use the dvd format
because its the standard in xbox360. Am I correct?

Squash-n-Stretch
09-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Wow, now that's bad marketing on Sonys side. First you piss off users with a pricepoint that is ridiculous for a gaming console (come on, 600 Dollars?), then they give people months and months to complain about it and maybe even buy their competitions product and THEN, again months before the launch, they lower the price of their console?

I disagree...(what's happening to this forum in CGTalk...everyone is SO negative! People are NEVER happy) I think it's a good move. Most people would have written off buying a PS3 but now it's back in their heads again. It has the potential to become even more of an impulse buy now. All they need now is some more killer in-game vids to leak onto the net.

wolfmanyoda
09-22-2006, 01:43 PM
i wonder if this price will also drop in America?.... and Europe when they get it next year.

Not according to this article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060922/ap_on_hi_te/japan_sony_playstation_10

There are no plans to lower prices in the U.S. or other markets, Sony spokeswoman Nanako Kato said. In Japan, the game will hit stores on Nov. 11.

In the U.S., it will go on sale Nov. 17 at $499 for a 20 gigabyte hard drive version and at $599 for the 60 gigabyte version.

DaveKW
09-22-2006, 01:51 PM

People complain when it's too expensive; the price gets lowered and people still complain. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't! Grrr! :sad:

RuinedMessiah
09-22-2006, 02:12 PM
I dont know how they can say that retailers will get to decide the price. By saying that, they are really saying that they are not changing the price of the premium version. Ive worked retail before. Theres very little or no markup on game systems, ipods, computers, and laptops. They make all their money by charging 2 to 3 times the cost for the accessories. So the retailers are going to charge Sony's suggested retail price and not one penny less.

Playstation has always had open pricing in Japan. How much profit the company wants off the console is up to the company itself. Which makes situations like a 100,000 unit launch suddenly turn into gouge city. But it doesn't just happen to Sony, recently the FFIII DS bundles went as high as $450 through various import stores.

Greentea|
09-22-2006, 02:15 PM
People complain when it's too expensive; the price gets lowered and people still complain. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't! Grrr! :sad:

Even though they lowered the price it is still too expensive for many to get. The announced price of the Wii is the absolute maximum id ever spend on a console i cant justify spending more than that.

DaveKW
09-22-2006, 02:35 PM
I agree that the PS3 is expensive. But that's because it does the most. The 360 can't do HD movies straight out of the box and the Wii doesn't do HD at all! If you add up the price of a premium 360, the HD-DVD player and an XBox live 12 month subscription, it's not far off a PS3, only a PS3 has a 60GB hdd and a free online service!

Kaostick
09-22-2006, 03:19 PM
I agree that the PS3 is expensive. But that's because it does the most. The 360 can't do HD movies straight out of the box and the Wii doesn't do HD at all! If you add up the price of a premium 360, the HD-DVD player and an XBox live 12 month subscription, it's not far off a PS3, only a PS3 has a 60GB hdd and a free online service!

And for those of us who don't have an HDTV... :shrug: Also, Sony's free online service, I havn't heard anything about it really.. Is it going to offer "mini" games for download like Microsoft and Nintendo does/will? Its hard to get excited about something you don't know anything about.

ndat
09-22-2006, 03:21 PM
I disagree...(what's happening to this forum in CGTalk...everyone is SO negative! People are NEVER happy) I think it's a good move. Most people would have written off buying a PS3 but now it's back in their heads again. It has the potential to become even more of an impulse buy now. All they need now is some more killer in-game vids to leak onto the net.

Yeah this makes me happy, I will get one at launch and sell it on ebay and hopefully use the profit to buy another one later on. At 500 usd and 600, I don't think I would have but 400 isn't too bad.

EnlightenedPixel
09-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Yeah this makes me happy, I will get one at launch and sell it on ebay and hopefully use the profit to buy another one later on. At 500 usd and 600, I don't think I would have but 400 isn't too bad.

I bet you could sell one for $10k if you get it up early enough.

JDex
09-22-2006, 04:18 PM
1UP has gotten some confirmation that the price drop will only be seen in Japan.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3153875&did=1

talos72
09-22-2006, 04:37 PM
How many people here actually have HDTV? Some probably do, but I have a feeling most don't. So, is microsoft and Sony betting on people to rush out and buy HDTV sets just to play with their consols? High def is still pricy, and even avid gamers would think twice before shelling out thousands for additional hardware in order to take full advantage of HD. Until the pricepoint of HD drops drastically, which will not happen for at least another few years.

heavyness
09-22-2006, 05:12 PM
they cant publish games on xbox360 for hd-dvd format, they have to use the dvd format because its the standard in xbox360. Am I correct?

Microsoft said they won't put games on HD-DVD.

personally, when i buy a game console, it is to play games on... not watch movies. also, lets not praise Sony's online service since we know absolutely nothing about. hell, they promised us "a Matrix-like" online environment for the PS2 (http://ds.ign.com/articles/695/695790p1.html)...

pixelmonk
09-22-2006, 05:17 PM
How many people here actually have HDTV? Some probably do, but I have a feeling most don't. So, is microsoft and Sony betting on people to rush out and by HDTV sets just to play with their consols? High def is still pricy, and even avid gamers would think twice before shelling out thousands for additional hardware in order to take full advantage of HD. Untill the pricepoint of HD drops drastically, which will not happen for at least another few years.

Nothing wrong with developers being forward thinkers. Cable companies and broadcasters bought equipment for developing HD content knowing that not every household, or even a significant number would have HD capable TVs. The point is.. they had to start it sooner or later. It's the chicken vs. the egg debate. Which comes first. Do people buy an HDTV with no content, or do the developers start producing HD content with the hopes that people will buy an HDTV? The same goes for the console developers. These current (not really next gen anymore) consoles will have HD capability (Wii too?) and will probably remain on the market for about 5-7 years, at which point more and more people will buy HDTVs. So it's plainly easy to see how by adding HD components in these consoles that it's a win win for everyone.

Buzzoff
09-22-2006, 05:24 PM
How many people here actually have HDTV? Some probably do, but I have a feeling most don't. So, is microsoft and Sony betting on people to rush out and by HDTV sets just to play with their consols?

A lot of people went out and bought an xbox just to play Halo. This would just be an extension of that.

JDex
09-22-2006, 05:27 PM
A lot of people went out and bought an xbox just to play Halo. This would just be an extension of that.

Yes because buying a $300 system to play a $50 game is very much like buying a $1000 television to play a $400 system to play a $60 game.

tozz
09-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Yes because buying a $300 system to play a $50 game is very much like buying a $1000 television to play a $400 system to play a $60 game.
That doesn't make much sense.

Buying a $500 console to play a $50 game would be the correct term (360 and PS3 titles are the same)
Now if you would like to play in HD it would be

$1000 tv, a $300 360 and a $50 game. (360)
$1000 tv, a $500 PS3 and a $50 game. (PS3)

I have no idea why people seem to thing HDTV is a requirement, it's an option, and a very nice one at that.

Turboff
09-22-2006, 06:48 PM
I along with 80% of my friends already have HDTV's, and we're all just middle class. The price of HDTV's has fallen low enough that the difference is negligible from a normal TV, not to mention that HDTV's are usually much larger.

Right now, I would not even think about buying a new console without an HDTV. The low resolution of a normal TV is just horrendous. A big reason why I have never been excited about consoles was due to low-res TV (especially here in the US where NTSC is much worst than PAL). Now with HDTV, I'm excited.

RuinedMessiah
09-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm suprised that no one mention that, in conjunction with the price drop on the PS3, the cheaper version (20GB) model will now receive the HDMI output as well.

iC4
09-22-2006, 07:19 PM
I along with 80% of my friends already have HDTV's, and we're all just middle class. The price of HDTV's has fallen low enough that the difference is negligible from a normal TV, not to mention that HDTV's are usually much larger.

In america/japan maybe, but here in europe hdtv's are still expensive.

SheepFactory
09-22-2006, 07:31 PM
In america/japan maybe, but here in europe hdtv's are still expensive.

So what? they are going to fall down in price eventually. HDTV's and standart def tv sets are like LCD monitors vs CRT. The latter is being phased out. I am glad sony is planning for the future instead of catering for the present which is on its way out.

JDex
09-22-2006, 07:44 PM
That doesn't make much sense.

Buying a $500 console to play a $50 game would be the correct term (360 and PS3 titles are the same)
Now if you would like to play in HD it would be

$1000 tv, a $300 360 and a $50 game. (360)
$1000 tv, a $500 PS3 and a $50 game. (PS3)

I have no idea why people seem to thing HDTV is a requirement, it's an option, and a very nice one at that.

Tozz... if you had actually read the conversation, you know, what I quoted, and then what that quote had refered to... you'd see what I was talking about.

Edit: And btw... Xbox360 are $399 here (unless you want the one with no networking or harddrive) and over 70% of the games in stores are $59.99... so basically your post is http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/kirtstanke/notuseful.gif

tozz
09-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Tozz... if you had actually read the conversation, you know, what I quoted, and then what that quote had refered to... you'd see what I was talking about. I know what the discussion was about, it still doesn't make any sense. It's not like the console is gonna disapear after a year. Buying the 360 or PS3 for HDTV might just as well be in the term "I'm gonna get a HDTV within 5 years". So just because someone is buying the PS3 to play in HDTV it doesn't mean it's a $1000+$500 one day purchase.

I used your prices, if you can't keep to your own words, don't blame me.

Johny
09-22-2006, 08:30 PM
so according to some people, they want to spend 600 usd on a console because it ahs : HD , blu ray , etc ...before that , did you really need it ? and i bet that if there was a version that had a toaster for more 40 bucks people would still buy it with the same argument.

heavyness
09-22-2006, 08:47 PM
And btw... Xbox360 are $399 here (unless you want the one with no networking or harddrive) and over 70% of the games in stores are $59.99... so basically your post is http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/kirtstanke/notuseful.gif

no networking? you can save your profile and play online without a HDD [just use a memory stick]

SheepFactory
09-22-2006, 09:05 PM
no networking? you can save your profile and play online without a HDD [just use a memory stick]

You might as well spend $50 more and get the HD. The memory card is pretty useless. Xbox 360 without the HD is a joke since you cant possibly take advantage of the marketplace.

ParamountCell
09-22-2006, 09:05 PM
ok let me get this right...

the ps3 price has been reduced in Japan, but there are no plans to reduce it in europe and the US? am i right?

RuinedMessiah
09-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I have to wonder what this entire arguement is about and what possible outcome could come from it.

1. Sony drops price of PS3 in Japan (unconfirmed either way for US yet and no, 1up is not a reliable news source so give it about a week before SCEA makes a statement for the US)

Arguement A: Sony is doing a good thing by dropping the price AND putting HDMI in the cheaper console.

Arguement B: Sony is just being bastards again because it's all stuff we don't need in a gaming console. Which defeats it's own purpose because who NEEDS a gaming console. Not to mention Nintendo has gone through great lengths recently to change their position from being "wii are a game console" to "wii will be the center of the living room with photos, news, the only subscription based browser business model (last I heard, after June 2007, you pay for Opera), and weather."

2. HDs are expensive.

Arguement A: All of this doesn't matter because HDTVs are expensive anyway.

Arguement B: HDTVs, like dual monitors, surround sound, high end graphics cards, comfy couches, Pepsi instead of Shasta, etc, all stand as a premium to the experience, not the experience itself.

RuinedMessiah
09-22-2006, 09:11 PM
ok let me get this right...

the ps3 price has been reduced in Japan, but there are no plans to reduce it in europe and the US? am i right?

I don't expect official word from Sony in this regard for at least a couple days.

JDex
09-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I know what the discussion was about, it still doesn't make any sense. It's not like the console is gonna disapear after a year. Buying the 360 or PS3 for HDTV might just as well be in the term "I'm gonna get a HDTV within 5 years". So just because someone is buying the PS3 to play in HDTV it doesn't mean it's a $1000+$500 one day purchase.

I used your prices, if you can't keep to your own words, don't blame me.

The $300 was referring to an Xbox, not a 360, and xbox games were typically $49.99 pre-360 release.

Again, if you had read the conversations you would understand... but since you're incapable, I'll just quote it all together.

How many people here actually have HDTV? Some probably do, but I have a feeling most don't. So, is microsoft and Sony betting on people to rush out and buy HDTV sets just to play with their consols? High def is still pricy, and even avid gamers would think twice before shelling out thousands for additional hardware in order to take full advantage of HD. Until the pricepoint of HD drops drastically, which will not happen for at least another few years.

Then quoting the above:

The quoting the above:

Perhaps the sarcasm was just missed, but does it make sense now, or should I paraphase it all as well?

:rolleyes:

Chome
09-22-2006, 09:57 PM
I still don't understand how people still get sucked into buying newer and newer tvs.

Comeon we all know that you already get HD on your computer monitor, let alone a NEW CRT monitor will have a better quality than most LCDs. I mean what a big accomplishment to Sony, Pioneer, etc. for figuring out to put video cards in tvs.

Sony, microsoft is just milking money from consumers to get them to the point they can already be at, "COMPUTER CONNECTED TO TV". They act like their the only ones who can do it, and that its a new concept. And microsoft has been trying to sell us WEBTV for years and now they know they can do it through a video game console. I remember countless PS2 fans complaining that XBox is just a computer and now were here 5 years later and PS3 has followed suite. And now everyone seems to be arguing computer power, hdtv, and not games.

If only the majority of consumers realize they can just put a computer under their tv. And how important is 1080p to 1080i, do we really need to see that difference in quality?

Also HD DVD, and Blue-Ray. I predict Failure for both. Digital will win. Wait for TIVO to make a deal with comcast or Verizon and look at what apple is doing with their new ipod tv adapter, and microsoft is going to be doing the same thing.

We need to stop looking at these games systems as fan boys and in a bias way. We don't get paid from either company for helping them market/advertise their products. Because in the end its a product and leave it at that. If its a crappy product so be it.

Does it really matter that the kid next to you has a different game system? or a different brand PC?, or a different brand DVD player? You sound immature when you start complaining about things like that.

Once Sony or Microsoft starts sending me a pay check weekly to go on internet forums and try to convince people to favor their product then thats when I'll stop looking at their products as products.

tozz
09-22-2006, 10:12 PM
The $300 was referring to an Xbox, not a 360, and xbox games were typically $49.99 pre-360 release.

Again, if you had read the conversations you would understand... but since you're incapable, I'll just quote it all together.

Then quoting the above:

The quoting the above:

Perhaps the sarcasm was just missed, but does it make sense now, or should I paraphase it all as well?

:rolleyes:
If you read the first quote it specificaly states Microsoft pushing HDTV. And since they're doing that with the 360 only there can't possible be any other machine. Unless you know of a xbox in between the first and the 360. In the same first quote the issue of pricing is brought up. "Until the pricepoint of HD drops drastically, which will not happen for at least another few years.".
Buying a console today doesn't mean you have to buy everything for it today.
In the end it's still only console + game, not +tv. Microsoft and Sony are both hoping for HD displays during their respective consoles' lifes. The "extension" in this case isn't really directly related to the console, so making it a part of the price again, makes no sense. If you only could play PS3 on your HDTV, then sure, but we all know this isn't the case.

Turboff
09-22-2006, 10:15 PM
Also HD DVD, and Blue-Ray. I predict Failure for both. Digital will win. Wait for TIVO to make a deal with comcast or Verizon and look at what apple is doing with their new ipod tv adapter, and microsoft is going to be doing the same thing.

Um, both HD-DVD and Blu-ray are digital, as is the current DVD.

Neil
09-22-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm not an expert on the whole HD issue.
Is xbox's HD output the same quality at ps3 HD output?

Does an lcd monitor have the resolution to accurately display a 1080 screenshot?

Shaderhacker
09-22-2006, 10:38 PM
The problem with being forced to buy an HD comes from the fact that the games will support HD resolution. Who wants to spend money on a console that can display games in HD and yet the display medium can't? It's like buying a PC game that boasts high resolution graphics, and you have the latest and greatest video card but an old VGA monitor that only displays 640x480. Since I just bought an HD flat screen monitor and my DVI-D input is already used, I'll need a HDMI->VGA adaptor. My monitor also isn't HDCP compliant so this may pose a problem in future BluRay/HD-DVD movies.

I'd rather stick to the console just playing games.. and since my computer monitor can display 1080p just fine, all I need is an adaptor.

-M

thoughtlesswhisper
09-23-2006, 03:57 AM
If you read the first quote it specificaly states Microsoft pushing HDTV. And since they're doing that with the 360 only there can't possible be any other machine. Unless you know of a xbox in between the first and the 360. In the same first quote the issue of pricing is brought up. "Until the pricepoint of HD drops drastically, which will not happen for at least another few years.".
Buying a console today doesn't mean you have to buy everything for it today.
In the end it's still only console + game, not +tv. Microsoft and Sony are both hoping for HD displays during their respective consoles' lifes. The "extension" in this case isn't really directly related to the console, so making it a part of the price again, makes no sense. If you only could play PS3 on your HDTV, then sure, but we all know this isn't the case.

dude.... uv missed the point COMPLETELY. someone was saying, people bought an xbox to play halo, and that poele would do the same with hdtvs to play 360.

jdex was saying that they are not the same thing... understand now? jeez. your on an autopilot for saving sonys ass, even when people arent even talking about sony!!!

RuinedMessiah
09-23-2006, 07:10 AM
And now, officially, this topic is complete.

BillSpradlin
09-23-2006, 11:29 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,25689-2371220,00.html

RuinedMessiah
09-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Oh god, this is gonna be fun...

For Sony, it was a chance, after a series of embarrassing mistakes, to prove that PlayStation still deserves to dominate the video games market.

This just in, Microsoft extends warranties of defective Xbox 360s... again. Maybe someday soon, they'll give up the lie of "3-5%"

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/734/734126p1.html

Ouch, what's embarassing?

But fans and analysts were united in the view that the PS3, despite the superiority of its technology, has failed to demonstrate its “wow” factor.

O RLY? Between MGS4, White Lunar Knight, FFXIII, Lair, and GT5, I haven't really heard too much of this complaining. In fact, no website I've visited so far has issued word one on the analysts side of things, let alone fan responses. The only thing known, as of right now, is that Sony wasn't lying when they said superior graphics and of all impressions, that's the one mentioned most.

Fans criticised a lack of innovation. The controller was almost exactly the same as the one that came with the original PlayStation and PS2.

Fans complained when it changed, fans complained when it went back. Odd how this article didn't mention the whole tilt thing though.

It also relies heavily on recycled hits. The games set to be released with the machine bear tell-tale “more of the same” titles such as Everybody’s Golf 5, Virtual Fighter 5 and Ridge Racer 7.

I find it completely odd that some of the biggest gunners on PS3 are new series but not mentioned. Meanwhile, they talk about Wii as if nothing but new content is coming. If that was the case, how come a horrible term is already floating across the net? Wiimake. I mean, when Trauma Center came to Wii, it couldn't even be new surgeries, just a reimagining of the original game. Trauma Center!

The new sword-fighting game Bleach, where players swish the controller around the room and their actions are mimicked by armour-clad knights on the screen, may convert newcomers to Wii.

And this is where I begin to doubt this jackass was even at TGS. Anyone who knows what Bleach is will be amused by this comment. Those who don't? Wikipedia is your friend. I haven't watched an episode after the Soul Society saga but as far as I could recall, not even a single Knight was in the series. Let alone people with armor. Armor was rare outside of the Hollows.

I could go on but I think I'll leave it at that.

thoughtlesswhisper
09-24-2006, 04:24 AM
Fans complained about the changed PS controller because it was a totally crap design. it was an unergonomic boomerang with no new benefits at all. Sony changed it back because of the terrible feedback. Adding a crappy tilt feature and removing the rumble does not solve the issue of the crappy boomerang pad.

People are complaining about the lack of innovation from sony with regards to the pad. Its a 10 year old unergonomic design. 10 YEARS. You would have thought the design would have gone through some sort of evolution process by now.

Your flimsy arguments like 'Fans complained when it changed, fans complained when it went back.' doesnt really get to the core of rhe lack of innovation. You also appear to be deluded by sonys SUPERIOR graphics.

I dont know if your aware that both consoles are capable of the same shader/lighting effects and resolutions. Things such as dynamics d.o.f, mtion blur, hdri etc. are possible on both consoles. There is no way the graphics can be superior. Only more on screen at a time. couple more fps.

Youve been engulfed in the hype and truely think that your going to see something that you havnt already seen on a pc or 360 before. Its only hardware at the end of the day. Not a magic gaming machine that Sony can do better than anyone else.

RuinedMessiah
09-24-2006, 05:54 AM

I'm just going leave that tripe alone.

DDS
09-24-2006, 06:15 AM
It also relies heavily on recycled hits. The games set to be released with the machine bear tell-tale “more of the same” titles such as Everybody’s Golf 5, Virtual Fighter 5 and Ridge Racer 7.

yeah...PS relies completely on "sagas" like FF, Tekken, MGS, dozens of successful japanese developer RPGs, PES, GoW, DMC, PoP, ICO/SotC etc.

what's the problem with that? this is not hollywood, 2nd, 3rd & nth parts can be awesome! Even more, I can't wait until the remake of FFVII gets done, haha!

note: I'm not defending Ps3...just critique the quote

Squash-n-Stretch
09-24-2006, 12:00 PM
yeah...PS relies completely on "sagas" like FF, Tekken, MGS, dozens of successful japanese developer RPGs, PES, GoW, DMC, PoP, ICO/SotC etc.

what's the problem with that? this is not hollywood, 2nd, 3rd & nth parts can be awesome! Even more, I can't wait until the remake of FFVII gets done, haha!

note: I'm not defending Ps3...just critique the quote

Hi. How's the Ward model coming along? :thumbsup: Can't wait to see it finished.

We don't know if they are actually remaking VII yet ;) And PoP finished with 3. But I agree with you kind of, I do enjoy some sequels. And what would we call Mario at this stage? Just because he will be running around 3D planetoids this time round doesn't make it original. But most of the time, Sony and their developers fail to inject originality within the sequels. Like Devil May Cry, Gran Turismo, dozens of racing games etc. And to be honest, when I do buy a PS3, it will be for MGS4, FFXIII, Killzone 2...:D

Now what are you doing out on these forums? Get back and finish that model! :applause:

RuinedMessiah
09-24-2006, 08:18 PM
There will be a Prince of Persia 4, that was part of the huge Ubi leak

But most of the time, Sony and their developers fail to inject originality within the sequels.

This can be said of any studio though. If anything, Sony has really gone from being a bit of a joke within the games industry to one hell of a source of innovative game designs and concepts. And then there is 989.... and this arguement gets shot to hell.

God how I wish 989 would just die. That, or get their asses to work on Jet Moto 4.

Squash-n-Stretch
09-25-2006, 02:15 AM
Good god what are you talking about. When were Sony ever considered to be a joke by the general public.

And 989 produced the Cool Boarders games and the Syphon Filter games; some of the PSOne's highlights.

But by all means, keep embarrising yourself by postin. But I won't be replying.

RuinedMessiah
09-25-2006, 03:00 AM
Good god what are you talking about. When were Sony ever considered to be a joke by the general public.

I said Gaming Industries. And for every Jumping Flash (which is an often debatable qualitywise game but I enjoyed it), there was an NHL Faceoff or 2xtreme. Early on, in gaming circles, it was said Sonys only strength was the third parties. Their first and Second party stuff was largely hit or miss, mostly misses. And when Sega dropped the Saturn leaving Sony to spar solely against Nintendo, the first party efforts appeared even more laughable. There is no denying that, during the playstation era, Sony had gathered a reputation as a subpar developer among the gaming communities. Often the main reason to own a Playstation WAS the third parties.

And 989 produced the Cool Boarders games and the Syphon Filter games; some of the PSOne's highlights.

But by all means, keep embarrising yourself by postin. But I won't be replying.

For the record, turns out 989 Studios is now defunct and redistributed across Sony. Most of the staff went to the now in effect studio with the familiar name 989 Sports. Which, in a way, explains why Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror was supposedly so good although I have never been a fan of the Syphon series. And, incidently, Syphon Filter seems to be their sole hit. Because Cool Boarders was originally developed by UEP systems. But hey, don't take my word for it. Here's what Wikipedia has to say...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/989_Studios

989 Studios had gained a reputation for releasing sequels to popular SCEA titles that were inferior to their predecessors (Example: Twisted Metal III/4, Cool Boarders 3/4, 3Xtreme, Jet Moto 3). Their Twisted Metal titles came under great critical and commercial fire for being completely inferior to the first two games. This was mostly due to the change in developers [989 developed TMIII and 4 instead of SingleTrac (now Incognito Entertainment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incognito_Entertainment)), who developed TM 1 and 2].

But in all honesty, I don't know why I just posted all that. Other than, when you bash Sony, it's all good. But when I defend Sony from your bash, you jump on my case as if I was the one bashing em.:shrug: I try to civil and I get this. I bash a company that most people remember as the "killer of franchises" and I get this. All I'm really asking for is some stability in the attacks if nothing else. I mean, hate me because I defend Sony or hate me because I bash em but please, make up your mind.

Tarrbot
09-25-2006, 04:08 AM
RuinedMessiah?

Can we hate you because you won't buy us all a PS3/Xbox360/Wii combo?

I mean, if you're the messiah, that should be easy enough for you right? :thumbsup:

RuinedMessiah
09-25-2006, 04:16 AM
Ah, but you forget, I'm a runined messiah. Too many japanese RPGs confused me as to what messiahs really are without the giant robots, huge towers, power crystals, fallen angels, genetic cloning, and androgynous leading characters.:D

I joke because JRPGs tend to be my favorite genre. :love: Currently working through Okami but nothing cliche and typical about that one.

As for the 360/Wii/PS3 combo, god I wish. I'm having a hard enough time trying to find it for myself. Thankfully, more and more launch titles are being pushed back on both PS3 and Wii so that gives me a little more to work with. And to think, I still have to purchase the game engine for my own game that, maybe, three different people will buy.

RobertoOrtiz
09-25-2006, 03:45 PM
GAMASUTRA: PS3 Price Cut Is “Ridiculous” Claims Analyst

Quote:
"Reaction to the Japanese price cut of the basic 20GB hard drive version of the PlayStation 3 has been unexpectedly negative according to analysts quoted in an article by the Bloomberg news agency (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=a87JZlB8hFkE&refer=home).

The price cut, which will only affect Japan, was announced yesterday (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10966) by Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutragi. The cheaper of the two hardware variations was originally priced at ¥59,800 ($515) but was reduced to ¥49,980 ($430), at the same time as a HDMI video port was also added to the unit.

Although price cuts before a launch are certainly not unusual in the history of the games industry, Yoku Ihara, head of equity research at Retela Crea Securities, commented that: “It's ridiculous to decide to cut the price before they start selling the PlayStation 3.” Adding, “They may cut the price again if sales don't go well"

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10972 (http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10972)

-R

RuinedMessiah
09-25-2006, 06:00 PM
And from my stand point, the price cut bodes well for Sony. Especially since Microsoft finally seems to be getting some decent titles lined up for the Japanese market. PS3 would have a hard time justifying the system in most markets as it stood. But the 20GB version is meant to stand toe to toe with 360 specs and, unlike the 360s core variant, isn't severely neutered. The mian features for the 60GB PS3 at this point seems to be the hard drive space, flash memory port, and wireless. One of three, I actually care about but could easily be upgraded should it become a problem.

Seriously, I'm having a hard time finding a bad side to the price cut.

RuinedMessiah
09-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Okay, this sucks....

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/735/735079p1.html

"
Speaking to GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6158499.html?sid=6158499), Sony Computer (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/735/735079p1.html#) Entertainment America President Kaz Hirai said, "In the US, we're comfortable with the pricing that we announced at E3 -- $499 for the 20 gigabyte version and $599 for the 60-gigabyte version. There are no plans right now to adjust the pricing for the US market."

Hirai did confirm, though, that the 20GB model would ship with an HDMI port in the US, as it will in Japan."

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 01:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.