PDA

View Full Version : Gamasutra: Brain Wave Games for Learning

RobertoOrtiz
09-22-2006, 03:54 AM
Quote:
"When I strap on the IBVA4 headband and settle into the electrode studs, I become that “brain wave chick,” a name coined by a former colleague in music, now assistant professor at Stanford, Dr. Mark Applebaum. Then I focus my attention in the 3D gaming environment. I work to calm my thoughts and filter out noise factors in the mind. As I become calm, and the mental chatter ceases, a magical connection is made to another time and space. Simultaneously, I observe that objects in the gaming environment begin to move with the rhythms of my brain waves. If I check a raw data window in the software, I can see the frequencies and amplitudes of the neural signaling. I watch as the predominant frequencies begin to lower from the high beta activity I experienced when I first started the game. Frequencies are monitored from 0 to 40 Hz, which is within the normal range of human neural activity. The peak values of the amplitudes of the signals have also lowered, and when I observe the coherence data, I see there is greater balance between the right and left hemispheres of the brain. Now I have tuned my brain to a degree sufficient to interact with the objects and sounds in the gaming environment.
"
>>LINK<< (http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/272/brain_wave_games_4learning.php)

-R

PS BTW Paras Kaul is a member of DC SIGGRAPH that relates to the presentation she gave at SIGGRAPH

Signal2Noise
09-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Oh! It's "brain", not 'bain'. I understand now. I originally thought the post title was about a guy named Bain Wave who makes educational games. :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2006, 03:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.