PDA

View Full Version : How to improve AMs render

binder3d
01-31-2003, 02:56 AM
Im on v10c which seems to be stable. Which is finally nice to say. I use netrender. What ways can I make - or fake - some of the renders from Hash to look like Lightwave and EI and Max. Are there lighting tricks? How can you use After Effects to sweeten an animation? What plug ins can I use.

Cheers -

JoeW
01-31-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by binder3d
Im on v10c which seems to be stable. Which is finally nice to say. I use netrender. What ways can I make - or fake - some of the renders from Hash to look like Lightwave and EI and Max. Are there lighting tricks? How can you use After Effects to sweeten an animation? What plug ins can I use.

Cheers -

First, you can't make them look exactly like LW's or EI's renderer. AM has some fundamental flaws in the way that it treats light on surfaces, so, the best you can do is beat the hell out of it and adjust your materials/maps/lights on a per-scene basis.

Some things to keep in mind - your light values, specular values, diffuse values, etc can often be much higher than 100%. I rarely use a bump value under 200 on a map, and my main light usually starts around 110%. If you have transparent items (glass) you can easily have a specular value of upwards of 1000.

For sweetening, I use 4 duplicate layers in AE - no fancy filters required. Your layers from top to bottom are set to Screen, Screen, and overlay, and then your "normal" footage. Run the "threshold" on the first layer and a gaussian blur to give your specular a bloom. The next overlay layer is also blurred and dropped in opacity to soften your image just a tad. The 3rd layer is set to overlay to resaturate your image - also run a noise filter on this to give a little grain (tweak opacity). You'll need to mess with opacity and settings on all filters until you're happy.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think there is a renderer out there that I don't do SOME post processing on. Mental Ray is close, but I still tweak it to what I want.

Joe W

runejw
01-31-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi,

The ToonNation plugins are very good, but I think most are included in AM (?)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/toonnation/plugins.html

Is Blinn-shader standard in AM now? (Iif not they are in the above plugins) Blinn gives very nice metal-reflections, where the highlight follow the shape and not just a circular highlight, like with Phong.

Also the Darktree Simbiont shaders/materials are very nice but somewhat slow due to the procedural nature of these textures. BUT they are now FREE (used to cost $50) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.darksim.com/html/download_simbiont2.html
(only 8 and 9.5 versions are listed though)

Commercial: http://www.eggprops.com
... but haven't tried these products.

Cheers,
Rune

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.