PDA

View Full Version : Auto port activation

cbowyer
09-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Hello

If I drag a number of objects into an xpresso window from the objects manager (in this case all identical objects) is there a way to select all of nodes and activate the same port in all of the nodes at once? Or do I have to select each node activate the port one at a time.

tcastudios
09-21-2006, 10:46 PM
I guess you could use the SetDriver/SetDriven for that.
Start by not move your objects into a xpresso .
Then set the Master(SetDriver) controller.
Select all the (equal) "recievers" and in the AM (showing all at once) select the parameter to be SetDriven.
A new xpresso tag is now made in the OM.
If you want the nodes in another xpresso tag, copy and paste (and delete/deactivate the original xpresso).

Mind you, I have had problems selecting a very large amount of objects doing this, so save your scene before trying!

Cheers
Lennart

cbowyer
09-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was looking for something like "hold the control key down when you activate a port" and it would automatically activate that port on all selected nodes.

I am rigging the tracks on a little bulldozer animation today and I had the same rotation data going to 10 separate but identical little rollers. As I was painstakingly selecting each object node and activating its 'rotation.b" port I thought there should be a way to activate the same port on all 10 nodes at the same time.

Guess maybe for the next release.

Thanks again for the reply.

tcastudios
09-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Ah. Maybe if you don't use Mograph, you can while you "hold the control key down when you activate a port" go to:
www.tcastudios.com -> x-files and dload "NullyBoy".
It's a simple xpresso setup.
Create a master object (anything) and drop it in the Master link field and drop your rollers under a parent in the GroupSlave link field and only tick "Rotation".

Rotate your master and the rollers will follow.

Cheers
Lennart

cbowyer
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Wonderful! Thanks Lennart. MoGraph would be useful in this instance. I have my own copy but we haven't acquired it here at here at the office yet.

And thanks for the xPresso expression. I've spent more time in xPresso this week than ever before, NullyBoy will be a welcome addtion to the workflow.

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.