PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Mac OS Market Share Rises 24 Percent Year Over Year

theCloudmover
09-21-2006, 08:32 PM
An opposing view to the Mac OS Market share starts to fall (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=407376) thread posted earlier this week --

From Switch To A Mac (http://switchtoamac.com/site/apples-mac-os-market-share-rises-24-percent-year-over-year.html)-

Several outlets this week have reported that Apple's market share is declining or has flattened out, especially when compared to December 2005 data. At first glance it may appear so but there's more to the story and the data. This post will clear up the confusion by analyzing Apple's market share on a month to month basis during 2005 and 2006. We'll also extract relevant metrics from Apple's earnings reports and product launches over the past several quarters to provide further insight into the matter.

Here's the real story folks, Apple's market share is not declining. In fact, it's on a dramtic upswing. In fact, it's up 24.4 percent year-over-year from August 2005 to August 2006

Click to read the rest of the article (http://switchtoamac.com/site/apples-mac-os-market-share-rises-24-percent-year-over-year.html)

almux
09-21-2006, 08:49 PM
WooAff wooaff! ;)
No! You're wrong! Apple looses 0.2 percent... sometimes! lol

ThomasMahler
09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Hmmm, that's sounds more correct in my ears. I know 3 people who've never bothered with Macs before, never in their life, who've bought Macs (2 Macbooks and a MBP) thanks to the Intel Switch and, of course, OSX.

I also never used Macs before, but just bought a Mini for multimedia and internet stuff.

I think Apple really build up the status that Sony had back then - they're "cool" now, thanks to the "i" Products like the iMac or the iPod. And probably even Jobs.

And OSX is a darn fine OS, no doubt about that.

swardson
09-21-2006, 09:38 PM
wasnt the other thread about a loss in market share for OS X, the operating system. Not apple as a whole?

Myliobatidae
09-21-2006, 10:19 PM
This might have something to do with Ipods selling like hotcakes...

3DDave
09-21-2006, 10:24 PM
Does an Apple for Apple replacement constitute an increase (i.e. a user of an old Mac buys a new one and chucks the old one). I don't think so.

Does an OSX upgrade constitute an increase, again I don't think so.

Numbers like these are less than accurate, in my opinion.

If Apple really wants to make noise and gain market share they need to release OSX for the PC platform. Although that would probably kill their hardware sales.

(P.S. I own a Mac and several PC's)

Zarf
09-22-2006, 04:23 AM
If Apple really wants to make noise and gain market share they need to release OSX for the PC platform. Although that would probably kill their hardware sales.

I'm not sure how kiling their hardware sales would be in their best interest? Especially considering that for each lost hardware sale they would have to move 10-20 seats of OSX to just break even.

It would actually probably be worse than that, since they would have to defray the massive development costs associated with making OSX run reliably on a wide array of generic X86 hardware. So maybe around 50 copies of OSX for every lost hardware sale.

Not sure how it would be to their advantage.

Cheers
Xarf

almux
09-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Does an Apple for Apple replacement constitute an increase (i.e. a user of an old Mac buys a new one and chucks the old one). I don't think so.

Does an OSX upgrade constitute an increase, again I don't think so.

Numbers like these are less than accurate, in my opinion.

(P.S. I own a Mac and several PC's)

May be not kill hardware sales in particular... would probably just kill Apple. Look of all these guys knowing, by now, that Macs are cheaper and better with a much better OS than Windows... they still stick to their habbits and beliefs. Some still think that the 95% of Windows use has anything to do with a proof of quality...
Actually, the only reason not to buy a Mac is to be screwed to blind dogmatism...

lllab
09-22-2006, 10:11 AM
well i just bought a macpro, bacuse of the hardware and its good price:-)

osx seems to be a very nice os too.
and as stated above i also know 5 other dia hard pc user that just bought intel macs.

so to my world,where apple wasnt there for a long time, i feel they are growing.at least become more important to 3d pro users.

cheers
stefan

Kai01W
09-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Yes, "switch to a mac" sounds like a fair and balanced source concerning these questions.
:thumbsup:
I guess its just pretty hard to accurately measure this (same with browser stats). I do think that these 0.02 precent was probably just within the error margins of these stats.
So I don't think it changed so much. That would take much more time.
And using the relative percentage (24+) makes it sound much more than the absolute percentage. I don't really trust both statistics.

-k

CiaranM
09-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Actually, the only reason not to buy a Mac is to be screwed to blind dogmatism...
...My software doesn't run on a Mac....

cresshead
09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
my software does...i tried it today at a apple store...3dsmax 8.0 running on a imac 20" using windows xp pro...and bootcamp of course!

so your softweare must be linux?.....go get parallels software and linux will run on a mac as well!

matter of fact...i think that only irix doesn't run on a mac...but sgi a phasing that o/s out in 3 months time anyway...

ahh i see your a xsi artist..well good news xsi runs jusr dandy on winxp and win xp runs without a glitch on a intel imac/macpro using bootcamp which is the dual boot system for running max osx AND windows xp....even xp64bit runs fine too....

CiaranM
09-23-2006, 03:04 AM
That's all well and good, but I'd rather for the moment save for the next iteration, than shell out for and be dependant on expensive 1st generation hardware, running on a beta system (boot camp).
There are also issues with XSI and dual core intels that don't appeal to me.....:sad:

Best to wait for myself.

almux
09-23-2006, 06:35 PM
That's all well and good, but I'd rather for the moment save for the next iteration, than shell out for and be dependant on expensive 1st generation hardware, running on a beta system (boot camp).
There are also issues with XSI and dual core intels that don't appeal to me.....:sad:

Best to wait for myself.
I plenty agree with you on a point: XSI looks great (and I'm real sad that there's no demo running natively on Mac) and if this is your main app, don't focus on buying a Mac pro.
The other thing is: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/11023/
As this is still in a very beta (if not alpha) state, you'll better wait though.
Maybe next year, or next time you'll come around a hardware upgrade...

cresshead
09-23-2006, 11:45 PM
hi again, is the thing your alluding to with xsi and dual core mac's got something to do with mental ray ''seeing'' the cores as physical cpu's so will only use 1 core for rendering on a xsi foundation liecence?...or is it that xsi is not multithreaded as a app that can use the core technology?would be interested to hear just 'what' is the problem with xsi as i have xsi 4.2 foundation as well as lightwave 9 nd 3dssmax.

almux
09-24-2006, 10:35 AM
hi again, is the thing your alluding to with xsi and dual core mac's got something to do with mental ray ''seeing'' the cores as physical cpu's so will only use 1 core for rendering on a xsi foundation liecence?...or is it that xsi is not multithreaded as a app that can use the core technology?would be interested to hear just 'what' is the problem with xsi as i have xsi 4.2 foundation as well as lightwave 9 nd 3dssmax.
Would be sweet to see XSI come along with a UB version like Lightwave's (already there or only anounced?)

Fredl
09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
The new Macs can run 3 operating systems (Windows / Mac / Linux) and you can install them all simultaneously on one machine, and run them natively without requiring any virtualization software.

I would have thought this would mean the new Macs can run more software than any other computer.

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2006, 10:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.