PDA

View Full Version : monitor callibration

3rd Dimentia
01-31-2003, 12:35 AM
How do you callibrate all your monitors so everyone in the studio is looking at the same thing? We have a mixture of different cards and monitors and want to make sure that what we are seeing is at least close to correct. In the past we've mainly done work for TV so we could make sure it looked right on the presicion PAL monitor. But we're doing more and more games work these days and need some way of standardising what we're looking at. Anyone got any tips on utilities? hardware? etc etc...

TIA,

Cg.

elvis
01-31-2003, 01:28 AM
standard trick is to get something that is by printed colour identical (pantone colour wheel, etc), and calibrate the monitor against the colour wheel to the best accuracy your eye can give. do this with your three primary colours (RGB, not RBY) and you should be alright.

the same goes for print media. print something out from a particular package with a particular colour setting (use one of adobe photoshop or indesign's many defualts - we use euro prepress here for our CMYK) and colour calibrate all screens to that print out.

life becomes a little more difficult in print studios where you have different types/brands of printing devices and you have to start calibrating printers and plotters. we've got a lexmark C910 and a HP 800 PS 42", both of which spit out very different colours from calibrated machines. pain in the arse, i tells ya!

singularity2006
01-31-2003, 01:57 AM
eh... this probably isn't the best advice, but if ur doing only digital media w/ photoshop as one of your components, their gamma correction calibration stuff works somewhat okay. But once ur out of the realm of adobe color management, ur on ur own... =T

elvis
01-31-2003, 08:22 PM
it depends entirely if you are calibrating an entire system, or just one application.

if you're only working with photoshop, then yeah use it's internal colour correction systems. if you want your entire system calibrated (and from the "games work" quote above this is what i assumed), then you're going to have to use your video card's calibraion tools.

danhua76
01-31-2003, 08:34 PM
or you can do it the expensive way and make sure everyone uses the same brand and model monitor with the same video cards installed on their respective systems. give everyone in the office a 20" apple cine-display and you should be happy :drool:

one trick i was shown by a graphic designer was to use a gray scale strip that photographers use and match up the grays on the strip to what you see on the monitor. that method seems to calibrate brightness and contrast really well, and did a decent job at color matching.

i'm sure there's many other ways too. this is just one way that i know of.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.