PDA

View Full Version : Mr.CityMen

EricLerner
09-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Hello.

Here is my graduation project. It is Called "Mr.CityMen" and was inspired
by the Children's book series "Mr.Men". I Hope you will enjoy it.

To view the different videos, Please follow this link:
http://www.ericlerner.com (http://www.ericlerner.com/)

Thank You Very much,
Eric.

http://www.ericlerner.com/MrCityMen.jpg (http://www.ericlerner.com/)

AsaMovshovitz
09-21-2006, 09:48 AM
loved it:) great mode to it, is this Tel Aviv?
where did you study?

Asa

PureMoxi
09-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Saw this a week or so go when I came upon your site. Great stuff and very original...a lot of work to be sure.

Out of curiousity how much of the footage is simply a still frame that you animated to simulate subtle camera movement?...or did you use live footage on all of it? I thought you might have used that trick to save time and comping and am curious as I cannot tell one way or the other. You did a great job.

I particularly like Mr. Dreamer from an animation standpoint...he has so much personlity and I am a sucker for a little 2d animation mixed in....very whimsical.

I also dig the Mr. Deja Vu...the light interaction on him when he is on the bus in one of the scenes is comped so well...very nice.

Keep it up man.

SamBe
09-21-2006, 10:45 AM
I've seen it a week ago to, it's a very great job, I love especially Mr. Fortune!:D

CBAnimator
09-21-2006, 11:57 AM
I just watched the video of the orange guy, and i really liked it.
the shots of him playing the guitar are very well thought out, and look terrific.

if i had to say something bad about it though, id say that its a little odd how his legs bend backwards (i know hes a made up character) but if he were human that would really hurt!
it also tends to pop a little bit as he walks.. it may look better if they dont bend so far back at the knees.

But aside from that, Id say youve made something pretty special here. Its simple, yet looks really impressive. awesome job.

Ranimate
09-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Mr. Lerner.

I really enjoyed watching it!
I think there is a naive feel to it all that charms me, the music is working great with it.
Love it.

Even though the animation needs work, it doesnt disturb the viewer, the design, music and great tracking and compositions compensate that.

Awesome work man, I think alot of ppl should be exposed to these cool clips (Plz get plugged :) )

:thumbsup:

Ranimate

sachin3d
09-21-2006, 12:44 PM
good stuff man. thou there r some glitches in animation but over all look and feel is great. keep it up man.

mattmos
09-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Really nice work. There are a couple of minor things, like improving the rigging of the arms/legs to get nicer shapes on mr dreamer, and the animation could be a touch snappier on mr scared, but as Ranimate said, the overall production is excellent.

They're a great set of short stories, would love to see this plugged.

merlyn00
09-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Love it! love it!

I hope I can get a copy of this on the next picto plasma DVD.

My only coments are that the leg movements are vere IK-ish, but who cares if you get the story across. :)

(P.s the active X coding causes the web explorer to crash? what am I doning wrong here?)

mynewcat
09-22-2006, 12:59 AM
I love Mr Stuck. What agreat uplifting message - the whole thing is genius mate, well done.

yencaray
09-22-2006, 01:55 AM
I really liked it! good motion Matching and lighting. it blended in well and the sync with the music was awesome! question? How long did it take you to get the shots motion matched and placed in correctly?

Whitmire
09-22-2006, 02:36 AM
Really really amazing work man.....just fabulous. The work will pay off

xDarkvisionx
09-22-2006, 03:54 AM
Sweet work! Were all those environments rendered or compositing was used? Amazing stuff, I really loved the moods being portrayed in each one.

AndrewChang
09-22-2006, 04:25 AM
Hi! I really liked your shorts, they all have very unique personalities. It must have been a lot of work to do all the compositing and matchmoving and tracking, etc but it looks great and the sync to the music is terrific too!

monkey-sage
09-22-2006, 04:29 AM
thanks for posting, those were pleasant to watch.

Mr. Fortune has a lot of knee pops if you want critique.

All in all I like the daydream guy the most, just because of what he was doing, and how it was put togather. I like the rabbit fading in and out with sparkles... hmmm, that sounds a bit overly girly... oh well.

RyanVII
09-22-2006, 04:36 AM
great work. the color, setting and shots of your characters are great. perhaps a little more human and cg character interaction or acknowledgement. but otherwise great work!

shy-guy
09-22-2006, 05:42 AM
Woa.. very cool little short :) . The camera tracking is spot on, and the compositing work is very clean; i like the color sheme you use, and how you synchronize the character animation with the music.

Groovy :thumbsup:

b-lame
09-22-2006, 06:45 AM
just...gorgeous. i like that they don't talk and how you really made their attitudes transparent by using music only. also lighting and rendering is great. if i had to critizise anything, i'd say that the deformations on some of the men (i.e. mr.fortune) do look a little weird here and there. but that might as well have been intended. hey, i really really love these movies and i appreciate dedication when i see it.

Oink
09-22-2006, 07:50 AM
All of them are good but i like Mr fortune the most. Must be the music and his walk ;)

smoluck
09-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Really impressive.. like the Mr "fortune" (narrative style) and MR "deja vu" (music video style) and the pretty cute one Mr "dreamer" :) ... !!I love that short film !

EricLerner
09-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Thank you all so much, and thank you for front page apperance :)

Jadetiger
09-22-2006, 08:58 AM
These are so great. Its bizarre, but all those characters just look like they belong in the real world. I feel like I might run into Mr. Fortune on the street somewhere. His walk is totally cracking me up. Everytime I replay it, I laugh harder. Great job with these.

Cobster
09-22-2006, 09:23 AM
Congratulations on your unique and well-executed work. A brilliant exercise in character animation, rendering and compositing. I'm full of admiration.

Throbberwocky
09-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Love'em!

Great idea, great atmosphere, great animation, great integration into the reallife footage.

Love them all, but Mr Déja Vu is my personal favorite. Also loved the music in this one the most.

Your place has to be in the music video industry ;)

nethus
09-22-2006, 12:17 PM
wow I really like this..

my favourites were Mr.Deja Vu, Mr.Fortune, and Mr.Dreamer... Great presentation, animation, story and general feeling in these..

Compositing is brilliant in all of them..

great job. love it :]

lo
09-22-2006, 01:30 PM
simply amazing

nice to know some people in this country are pure quality. where did you study?

manx
09-22-2006, 01:57 PM
that made me happy, great work. really cool character

JeffrySG
09-22-2006, 02:00 PM
great job on all the videos!

i really enjoyed the overall look and feel of the animations and the compositing and matching - moves and lighting were really nice! i had many of the same questions about the videos that many of the people asked earlier. we'd all love to know some of what went into the production of the animations. do you have a "making of" web page some where?

did you use any HDRI lightdome lighting techniques to match the lighting on these?

cheers!

snowkiwi
09-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Gold. I think Mr. Dreamer is a really cute character.
I really liked Mr. Men too when I was a kid. :)

Djampa
09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
OMG ! Wow.

Mr. Dreamer is my prefered !
Very creative work, original, simple, well animated, well lightened, well composed, great music score, whatelse ? I'm saving all of them on my 'best picks box'.

Congratulations ! Keep on this track, sky is not a limit for you.

Cheers

Chems
09-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Great stuff, they were all fantastic, I havent got a bad word to say about them.

TomBurns
09-22-2006, 06:02 PM
These are all incredibly, wonderfully beautiful.

The choices of music for each character, the camera angles - everything!

Such beautiful ideas - especially Mr. Dreamer.

RedXR
09-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Mind blowing stuff, really loved everything about the animations. Simple yet complex, fantastic work:buttrock:

Selpakius
09-22-2006, 09:55 PM
hehe brillant as concept ! :)
It could be better with better animations. But I liked the animations of Mr.Dream,sweet walk, though :)

congrats :)

~Serkan

P.s: Wht not writing a tutorial about how you composited your 3d renders with live footage? I'm sure everybody would be very grateful if you did that :)

ido
09-22-2006, 10:22 PM
just great :) loved them all :D

peachstapler
09-22-2006, 11:38 PM
I enjoyed this very much.

paultheplumber
09-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Very cool!

gavinwhelan3d
09-23-2006, 01:02 AM
I loved it! brilliant work and really imaginative. i have nothing but praise. well done.
g

GoGoMango
09-23-2006, 04:45 AM
I had to turn the music off for Mr.Dejavu. the beeping sound reminded me of an alarm and pissed me off. But other than that, im extremely jealous. Well done

Zodiac
09-23-2006, 05:26 AM
The theme and the mood are going so well together not to mention the comping work is incredible . frontpage stuff.

AndHolzmeister
09-23-2006, 06:55 AM
Fantastic! you should submit it to stash dvd magazine... great work man!

EricLerner
09-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Thank you everyone, again.

The reason i didnt write about the process yet is becuase i'd really hate
to disappoint everyone, becuase its really quite simple. but since
everyone has been asking, here are the very few stages.

first of all, i designed and modelled the characters. OBVIOUSLY,
you might say, but its importent to stress that one thing that makes
the characters work in real life is exactly how much they DONT
fit in real life... i mean, if i were going for realistic characters,
i probably would have failed. the simplicity of the characters is
probably what makes them believeable.

ok now i wrote down all the scenes i needed and went off with
a DV camera, i used a Sony TRV900 which is a 3CCD DV cam,
nothing too fancy or anything.

once i got the shots i wanted, it was time for the most importent
stage, and this is where the "magic" most people are unaware of
happens: i run the shots thru automatic 3D tracking software.
this process is so automatic its scary. if you have good shots,
aka no motion blur or non huge passing objects, your shots will
be tracked easily and it will WORK. this produces a 3D cam which
you can then import to any 3D software package. i used Maya.

once in Maya, you import the cam, which imports a image plane
of the video shot you are working on. then import your character.
its importent to plan exactly what will happen for each shot so
you dont find out you have too little time or too much time for
the character to do what it has to do.

oh, i forgot, before you start moving things around, its importent
to set up the different "planes" of the scene. that is, put down
a floor, whatever walls are there and so on and so forth.
this is importent for the animation and the lighting.
i just used simple planes for objects, unless i needed more
complex shadowing or masking, such as railroad tracks
or handrails, then i would use more complex geometry.

ok now everything is animated and in place. if you misunderstood,
having the virtual camera there makes sure that no matter
what you put in the scene, it will look as if it was there becuase
it moves with the camera. i cant stress enough how magical this is :) .
so now lighting. if anyone just got excited, dont. i used point lights.
i used the image plane to figure out the direction of the light, set up
a light or two, and then used Final gather rendering to make it all
work. with the planes set up, the light came out right.

HDR wasnt needed becuase things werent really reflecting anyways
and point lights were working well enough... it might have been
better with HDR but who knows. final gather did an amazing job.

is this getting long?... anyways, once the shots are rendered
to targa sequences, i put the original video shot and the animationg
together in AFTER EFFECTS, in capital letters for no reason, and
then i work the color correction a bit. then another importent part
comes, where i dump a big color layer on both of them, which flattens
them down right away, makes them fit together. this wont work
if your going for natural looking video. since i was doing a more
"film type" film, it was ok. i also add fake noise. it helps.

There. thats the process. i hope i didnt ruin it for anyone.
take care.

Eric.

GoGoMango
09-23-2006, 07:51 AM
Thank you for the knowladge sir!

wurstwasser
09-23-2006, 11:43 AM
first of all: i love your work and the style your charakters move and "live"... first time i saw "mr. fortune" (who i like best) i asked myself all the time how you realized your work (people moving infront of your charakter). i'm not used to the huge amount of different software that exists and i'm suprised what seems to be possible with new programs.. but even though software simplifies the creation of scenes it can't make up a story or a style for you. therefore your magic hasn't gone, be sure :)

cheers, DaZeD

carmelhadinosaur
09-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Wow, these videos are all really impressive and nicely done. It's great to see you saying that it wasn't as hard as it looks, because combining video shots with 3D seems really interesting.

It's also cool to see that you're from Zichron :D

KIDI
09-23-2006, 03:57 PM
I know this guy ... :eek:

R-E-S-P-E-C-T eric, i'm really happy for u. :thumbsup:

Squizmek
09-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Really awesome stuff! My favorites are mr. Dreamer and mr. DejaVu! The DejaVu 2d stuff fits perfectly to the music and the whole theme, just incredible!!

Shin-Hing
09-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Dude, Mr Guitar playing man is awesome! Much respect!

feeesh
09-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Awesome work man. Is that all filmed there in Israel? I wasnt realy hot on Mr. Scared of ANything.......... But the others were awesome. Especially Mr Deja Vu. Thats far the best one to me. Great editing with the music. Ad gret effects with the mirror and odd angles of imlementing the CG into the bed and office chair and all. Great working on matching the lighting inside and outside too!

When does Mr Death go on a rampage? :eek:

feeeeeeeeeeesh

P.S. I am a student at Gnomon and we are going into a MAtchmoving and Integration class starting Monday and this is exactly the process we will be doing. You really inspired me, Im fired up now for it. Great tip about the not-too-realism of the characters making it a bit eaier to pull off too. Might be something to consider when planning mine.

liboiloveyou
09-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Interesting. Haha. Fun.

adriendebos
09-23-2006, 11:58 PM
I had such a great time watching these videos. Thank you!

ts-falcon
09-24-2006, 01:02 AM
Great work! loved the music for mr. fortune :D is there anywhere we can snag these catchy mp3s? totally awesome

MattVogt
09-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Hi thanks for the process! I used to get the Mister books read to me as youngster and my Dad and I got a blast out of watching these vids - great work. I found your storytelling awesome through your interpretation of the character's feelings and how you used the city to your advantage - eg, Mister Sunken walking in the shadows - kick ass!

Question, what animatic softwae did you use to create the tracking import stuff?

keep up the good work and thanks for recalling my childhood memories of the mr books.
cheers,
Matt

Victoria
09-24-2006, 01:32 AM
These made me happy. I wish there were more :)

requiem
09-24-2006, 05:16 AM
Fantastic concept, great music. Some of the animation could use some refinement, but the animation concepts themselves, like the orange guy's walk or the subtle bouncing of the guy on the bus, are awesome. Thanks for the inspiration.

GOTgraphic
09-24-2006, 07:00 AM
Seemingly so simple, yet so increadible. The audio...! The gestalt is fantastic!

gpepper
09-24-2006, 12:00 PM
They are all nice ! Every character have their own atmosphere their own story.
You have found some cool effect for each of us. I have a preference for Mr Fortune and Mr Deja Vu... Their compo fit to the music very well.
Mr Dreamer, yes, reminds me a dream, very poetic...
Thanks for this !

staniol
09-24-2006, 03:56 PM
really good work and i like animation to the music, very good idea

sapienz
09-25-2006, 08:39 AM
This 3d renders on live action footage animation style reminded me of a clip i saw sometime back - laletsbefriends inspired by JeffSoto's work.
Haven seen all them yet but so far I like Mr fortune the most. Really like the upbeat music and his bendy knees.

gringer
09-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi there Eric,

You're very talented indeed. You should not detract from your work because of how you went about making it, in fact I would say that the end result is all that matters. I really enjoyed those movies, thanks!

:D

JDMedia
09-25-2006, 09:49 AM
OMG I have exactly the same picture of a Porsche in my hallway... only it doesn't say: Stop Dreaming :eek:

MrDev
09-26-2006, 02:43 AM
I absolutely loved it, awsome concept, music fits it so perfectly! Mr. Fortune happens to be my favorite keep on rockin :D

matty2x4
09-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Very nice work!

"i run the shots thru automatic 3D tracking software" .........................

Mind if I ask, what is the software called? :)

dunsoner
09-27-2006, 12:09 AM
I like what you did with it...the animation looks good and the composite was awesome though on some parts when people where overlapping the guy with the guitar it made him seem 3D and not within the clip.....but other then that awesome work!!:thumbsup:

EricLerner
11-13-2006, 06:52 AM
i would like to thank everyone.

* AniBoom Link * (http://www.aniboom.com/Player/?v=1557)

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2006, 06:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.