PDA

View Full Version : Newbie please help

weeksa
09-21-2006, 02:34 AM
Hi, I just saw vue in a store today and it looked much better than Bryce 5 (which i have been usign for over a year now) and when i brought it home and installed it i could tell its way better... harder too :P

ANyway I was wondering if vue can do something that ive always wanted to do. Can it make a forest with different height levels (hills and stuff) thats dense and goes on forever without much work. What I want to do is make a camera fly straight through a forest for awhile but i dont want to do alot of setting up and strecting the terrain i want it to be endless.

Also is there a way to make like clouds that the camera can go trhough like the start of some movies. if any are yes then can someone please explain in a noobish way?

Thanks so much.

chippwalters
09-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Sounds like what you want is Vue-Infinite, not Easel or Esprit. Check out:

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_5_infinite/

weeksa
09-21-2006, 12:28 PM
I have infinite

chippwalters
09-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Sorry, I didn't know Vue-Infinite was actually sold in stores as the price ($895) is a bit high. You'll have to wait for Vue 6 (tentatively due in October) before 'flying through clouds', but if you're working with Vue-Infinite you can make a forest now. Check out the eco-system material "Forest and Green Fields". Apply it to a terrain and instantly you have a forest you can fly over. This image took me literally seconds to create in Vue-Infinite.. It has over 43 million polys.

http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/test/foresttemp.jpg

weeksa
09-21-2006, 07:21 PM
yeah its a private specialty shop visit every once and a while. They have everything from ms word to 3d studio and more.

weeksa
09-21-2006, 07:23 PM
lol forgot my question.

Thats cool. But how do i make it "infinite". Like i pressed terrain and then went to ecosystems and choose a forst. Now how do i do it so when i animate the camera to fly straight that forest is seamless and endless and infinite.

chippwalters
09-21-2006, 09:14 PM
You really can't make it 'infinite', that's not how it's done in those Vue demo animations-- aka the ones at:

http://www.belino.net/

But you can make them go a long way into the distance using multiple terrains or just stretching out the terrain you have. Try adjusting the scale of your ecosystem smaller, then you just need to search for a view which makes the trees look like they go on forever.

-Chipp

weeksa
09-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Wow those demos are amazing! Such great graphics and amazing directing. This guy is a genius.

Will vue 6 make infinite terrains? So how can i make it look infinite when the camera has to go one way for liek 4 seconds and it still goes forever that will be so much work to do.

Umm... I went to lynda.com and noticed there is nothign there to teach vue. Is ther aywhere that has vue training available?

Wabe
09-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Infinite planes with forest on have one problem - they are infinite. How many plants would you place there? How does a program know how many are needed?

Infinite in the real sense is simply impossible. But finite that looks infinite is possible of course - as some show in animations. You for example can populate a large terrain and then fly on that in a way that you do not see the borders.

One more thing. As in real life for excellent results you have to pay. With blood sweat and tears. Experience is the magic word here. I am sure Phoul (belino.net) is not just clicking onto a button and gets his films, they are the result of hard and highly experienced work.

weeksa
09-22-2006, 12:37 PM
thats interesting thanks for the tip.

Now I wonder how i can make the edges of the terrains like hills or something. Bryce couldn't do them either so (this is stupid and i know but im a noob and thanks for all the help so far) so far I dont see the big difference between bryce and vue other than price so could someone enlighten me?

Also does anyone know anywhere good to go online to find training or beginner to advanced tutorials that teach you everything?

IvanB
09-22-2006, 01:27 PM
Check this link...You might have missed it..it was 6 threads down..You might want to invest in the AiselFX video tutes..really good for begginers.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=387199
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=373529

AsileFx videos
http://asilefx.com/products_tutorials_download.htm

You also might want to do a google search on Vue tutorials...
Ivan.

cajomi
09-23-2006, 12:08 PM
sounds, like you are looking for a terrain comparable to infinite planes. That does not exist.
But there are some good technics for given an infinite impression:
First you need a great terrain, or some great terrains, which would be much better.
Second, you need some haze or fog, which let the terrain fade out near the horizon, this gives a infinite impression.
Third: If you really want a forest, you need small trees, standing with short distance between one another. A forest can have over some million trees, so, a real forest is not possible, you will run out of memory.

This together means: If you really want a convincing, nearly endless fareness, it is not done with some simple clicks. You will have to plan the flight root, position terrains in the route, with high density eco, and for the other sourrounding, fare away terrains, you can work with less eco, or just with texture.

"Infinite" is related to the details of the terrain. You can go as close as you want, without getting visible faces.

Johannes Rosenberg

BUZZFX
09-24-2006, 06:01 AM
My advice: Don't use World Standard mapping mode as it won't allow you to use image maps to place trees.

Does anyone out there use "World Standard" mapping mode for animations or flythroughs? I suspect the World Standard mode is largely useless as you can't use ecosystems wuth them very well.

I'd be interested in knowing what size other people make their terrains for flythroughs and what mapping modes, settings they use?

weeksa
09-27-2006, 01:01 PM
okay thanks alot guys. I guess im just gona have to crack down and learn. Its still better thyan Bryce right?

cajomi
09-27-2006, 01:50 PM
much better, but the first steps are not so easy.

IvanB
09-27-2006, 01:51 PM
Hey Paint Guy..

World standard comes in very handy when creating procedural terrains..
Basically when you create an ocean/Mountains using proc terrain, you can enlarge the terrain (X & Y leaving the Z) to almost meet the horizon line and your initial detail (waves or Mountains) dont change from your original size, it just ADDs to the existing terrain...
With regards to a fly over, you can get very close to the terrain and the detail is still there, you can make a FO go for ages...If you were to streach out a standard terrain the detail streaches aswell. I have streached out a proc terrain 5000*5000 x,y for an animated ocean.
An ocean video tute will be uploaded very soon.
I'm not sure about ecos, but i'll give it a go.
Ivan.

weeksa
09-27-2006, 07:05 PM
ah okay.

now this may sound stupid or be hard to answer. but can anyone tell me why its better?
Also is it better than CInema 4D?

Wabe
09-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Procedural terrains are something what in 2D are vectors. The resolution (of procedural terrains) - and therefore the quality - is calculated in relation to the camera distance. The closer the camera is to a procedural terrain the finer the resolution is. Means that you do not have to care about those things. Of course it means a little more calculation and some other estrictions to sdtandard terrains, but the result is worth it i would say.

The Cinema question i do not understand. What do you mean?

weeksa
09-27-2006, 09:34 PM
is vue better than cinema 4d?

cajomi
09-28-2006, 05:01 AM
At least you should use the demo versions and get to your own opinion.

Vue - Cinema? With xstream Vue works like a plugin for cinema. So there is nothing to compare. They are simply different and it depends, on what you want to do.

Wabe
09-28-2006, 07:00 AM
Yes it is.

No it isn't.

You can not really compare those two - you even can't compare any sort of software in my eyes. You only can say - one suits me better and does what i want to do while the other does not. Has nothing to do with "better" or "not so good".

The intentions behind Cinema and Vue are totally different so not to compare. I would propose you download the demos and try out. And then decide for yourself.

BUZZFX
09-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Hey Paint Guy..

World standard comes in very handy when creating procedural terrains..
Basically when you create an ocean/Mountains using proc terrain, you can enlarge the terrain (X & Y leaving the Z) to almost meet the horizon line and your initial detail (waves or Mountains) dont change from your original size, it just ADDs to the existing terrain...
With regards to a fly over, you can get very close to the terrain and the detail is still there, you can make a FO go for ages...If you were to streach out a standard terrain the detail streaches aswell. I have streached out a proc terrain 5000*5000 x,y for an animated ocean.
An ocean video tute will be uploaded very soon.
I'm not sure about ecos, but i'll give it a go.
Ivan.

IvanB,

It's been my experience that you cannot use an image map to drive the placement of trees or other things in World Standard mapping Mode. If I remember correctly the image map tiles repeatedly, so you need to use Object Parametric. Am I correct!

IvanB
09-28-2006, 11:39 PM
Paint guy
Spot On...I gave it a go, and your right...You cant use an image map to control your terrain, using "World Sandard".

weeksa
10-04-2006, 12:57 PM
npw im confused you guys :P

image maps, and more?? wow

CGTalk Moderation
10-04-2006, 12:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.