PDA

View Full Version : Tonemapping in Fusion

asche
09-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Hi there. I wonder if there are any tutorials that are about tonemapping in Fusion.
Would be very handy to do that in post.

beaker
09-21-2006, 02:34 AM
Key of the luminance and use that as a mask to turn down the brightness.

PeterSanitra
09-22-2006, 02:07 PM
nice feature that U can use too is histogram matching. just connect reference image to you color corector and play with setting in histogram rollout.

techmage
09-26-2006, 12:09 AM
I imagine you mean tonemapping in terms of ctrl_buffers or vray or any of the new fancy tonemapping methods that had white papers released on them in the past year or so. Fusion doesn't have any of these right now. The only thing you can do is put in a 128bit exr and play with the various histogram tools.

beaker
09-26-2006, 01:00 AM
I dont get why people keep treating this tone mapping "feature" as a new thing that we need special tools to do. We have been doing this in compositing for years.

Look at the equations and other links for doing basic tone mapping on wikipedia.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tone_mapping

To sum up the math(and simplify it some). All it does is look for values above 1 and creates a matte in which it uses to bring down the exposure.

It's just that 3d people didn't start dealing with HDR images till a few years ago where people doing film compositing have had the ability to work in float for 8+ years.

asche
10-05-2006, 05:11 PM
thanks a lot for the answers guys ...
and beaker, you are probably right ... in 3d you got other ways to to stuff like that so noone was really concerned about it ...
but as the "realistic" lighting technics get more and more popular and speedwise acceptable u get closer to the realworld and can/have to deal with the same problems

i will try our your suggestions :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2006, 05:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.