PDA

View Full Version : Shrink wrap isn't staying stuck for me

yourteenidol
09-20-2006, 11:47 PM
Hi,

I'm pretty new to XSI and I'm trying to use the shrinkwrap function so that I can rebuild and re-topologize a mesh.

My problem is that I'm finding that the shrinkwrapped object does not seem to stay stuck to the surface. I know I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what, I seem to be going round in circles.

Arrrgggghhhh ;-)

For example, say I've got a poly sphere with a good amount of subdivisions. Now I get a poly grid also with a good amount of subdivisions and s-wrap that to the sphere.

Ok so far so good, the grid now conforms to the surface of the grid.

Now I activate the move tool and start to move points, edges, etc.

Now I notice that the grid is no loger sticking to the surface, I can move it off the surface and it doesn't seem to be staying locked.

But why?

Again, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong -- but what?

Hope someone can help me out here.

Thanks.

Jay

JDex
09-21-2006, 12:01 AM
This is because each time you move the points, that "operator" is being inserted above the shrinkwrap operator. Open the explorer and expand the object (the one being shrink wrapped to the other object). Move the shrink wrap operator into one of the other construction modes above the one your in -- typically you'd be in modeling construction mode, and any of the other 3 modes would be okay for this purpose.

Now do all of your manipulating in modeling construction mode.

yourteenidol
09-21-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi JDex,

Thanks for helping me :-)

I think I understand.

Umm - would it be better if I applied the s-wrap op while in the shape model C mode, and then switched back into the model C mode before moving any points?

Would that help at all?

Jay

JDex
09-21-2006, 12:13 AM
It's basically the same procedure... you can move the shrinkwrap manually, or switch to the different mode, apply the deformer, then switch back to the lower mode... the result is the same.

yourteenidol
09-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Ahhhh, ok super cool.

I will try that out.

Thanks very much for your help.

Greetz,

Jay

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2006, 12:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.