PDA

View Full Version : topology help

benkashmir
09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
hello, i am modelling this little creature, but i am a total beginner when it comes to organic modelling.. so if anyone can tell me hows the topology here should look i would be happy.. i've been cutting and connecting many edges but i just cant seem to make it right.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/benkashmir/berzerkadvice.jpg

MacManiax
09-20-2006, 10:22 PM
your topology isnt bad considering you havent modeled that many organic objects. There are a few things that could be changed.

1. Near the left eye there is an edge coming from the horn that intersects with what looks like another edge loop. This is giving you triangles but you can easily turn it back into quads which is usually better (not saying triangles are BAD but). If you are going to animate and rig this model you will want to put more edge loops into the elbow area and knees. This will let it deform nicer and will let you put more detail into the arms. Lastly it looks like your mouth area is looking good but it would look even better if you could make your edgeflow more circular around the lips, it already is circular but make it even more so, do the same with the eye area and you have a good start on your way to a great model.

benkashmir
09-21-2006, 05:00 PM
thank you for your reply.. its just the kind of reply i needed..

so basicly.. more round edge loops around animated parts makes it deform less.. did i get it right? i can see the reason to it also.. more loops less vertices, edges and faces get affected on the other parts...

and it made me realise something also, that his mouth is too big and too close to his arms.. which i also intend to make smaller too.

i've got a questio.. you see where the leg is attach to his body.. where should i take his edge loops up to? his arm.. his mouth? does it matter?

MacManiax
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
the edge loops do not neccessarily make your model deform "less" they make it deform better. yourr right about how the edge loops can sometimes help isolate the deformation of a certain area. For the elbow and knee edgeloops all you really need to do is use the polygon split edge ring tool to help the knees and elbows deform smoothly.

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.