PDA

View Full Version : Glove data in Motionbuilder ?

Sentenza
09-20-2006, 02:41 PM
What the ... is this true or do I understand sth. wrong? Again a question from me ;-)
Now that everything worked fine for our digital puppet - for our digital puppets body to be more concrete, the next thing I tried to figure out is how I'am able to map the data we captured with the datagloves to the actor! And here is the problem: do I really have to manually constrain the markers to my final characters skeleton instead of beeing able to map the data directly to the representing actor? Because the cells in the marker set only allow five markers maximum? That would mean I would only have one marker for all the five fingers which means that I'am not able to use the data for the missing two joints of the fingers? Is this true - but then what's the best solution if my markers do not perfectly fit the actors hand/figners? That constrain idea seems not the best in my opinion but the only one I can think of in the moment? Any clues from someone here ... ?

Anssi
09-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Hi,
are you using some particular glove?
I have tested CyberGlove and the all I had to do was to drop the Glove Reference in the slot found in actors fingertips (MarkerSet). Other than that I have no experiance in that sector.
Anssi

Sentenza
09-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Maybe I'am not too sure about the definition of the glove reference but we use the gloves integrated in the Fullbodytracker System from noDna - those gloves will not directly be supported by MB from what I understand correctly? Anyway I too put the the root of the glove markers in the glove reference field but nothing happened ;-)

By the way - those markers were put under the general reference from all the markers. Means I have the following hierarchy:

- Marker Ref
- - Spine
- - Hips etc.pp.
- - Hand L
- - - Middle
- - - Index
- - - (...)
- - Hand R
- - - Middle
- - - Index
- - - (...)

etc.pp.

Did this cause some kind of problem? But I think that's correct so far, or ...?

Anssi
09-21-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi,
thing with the CyberGlove was that there is a Device/direct support for them in MB so it was straight forward process. I am not familiar with the system you are using so can't help you there. Good luck!
Anssi

Sentenza
09-21-2006, 12:23 PM
Jepp,
That's true - there is a direct support for that ;-) Makes live (hopefully) much more easier!
Anyway ... I think about if its' possible to connect our system via network directly to MB? Dont' know if this is possible at all but I cant' imagine there is no way to use gloves that are not directly supported - ??? Hhm!

Sentenza
09-21-2006, 03:26 PM
Anyway, if anyone can provide me with a kick in one possible right direction how to map the recorded glove data markers to the digital actor - really appreciate :-/
The solution to create the marker set without the glove data and then create constraints seems to be not the best, cause it looks like we can not manage to have all the important parts overlapping ... And there it is not such an option like maintain offset when constraining like in maya, or am I wrong?

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2006, 03:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.