PDA

View Full Version : Resetting object coordinates to world?

vroom
09-20-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi,

I have a polygon object that has a squashed object coordinate system - the y axis has a smaller scale than the world system - 10 x or z world units are 10 x or z object units, but 10 y world units are only 8 y object units.

My questions are:

1) What causes this? I suspect non-uniformly scaling a primitive before converting it to a poly object - but are there other operations I should be aware of? So this doesn't continue to happen.

2) How can I reset the scale to the world, without changing my object? I can't find a function that resembles "translate coordinates" or similar, and a search on google and on here wasn't too successfull - yet I guess this would be a very common task?

Thanks in advance...

tcastudios
09-20-2006, 12:43 PM
There might be another way but this works.
Add a new Polygon object (From the Main menu->Objects) or a regular Null object.
Select your squashed object and the Polygon/Null Object and use the "Connect" command.
Scale are normalized and your object keeps its shape.

Cheers
Lennart

tcastudios
09-20-2006, 12:46 PM
Oh, the reason to use a Polygon object instead of a Null is that the new object will have a Phong Tag attached. Using a Null you'll have to add one.

Cheers
Lennart

vroom
09-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks! Works great.

Any idea for my first question? This tends to happen now and then, and it's easily overlooked. So not having it happen in the first place would be nice :)

AdamT
09-20-2006, 01:19 PM
>I have a polygon object that has a squashed object coordinate system -
>the y axis has a smaller scale than the world system - 10 x or z world
>units are 10 x or z object units, but 10 y world units are only 8 y
>object units.

>My questions are:

>1) What causes this? I suspect non-uniformly scaling a primitive before
>converting it to a poly object - but are there other operations I
>should be aware of? So this doesn't continue to happen.

The only thing I know of that will do this is if you scale with the Object Tool rather than the Model Tool.

>2) How can I reset the scale to the world, without changing my object?
>I can't find a function that resembles "translate coordinates" or
>similar, and a search on google and on here wasn't too successfull -
>yet I guess this would be a very common task?

Enable the Object Axis Tool. Then go to the structure manager and set the dropdown menu for the scale column to "scale". Change any x/y/z value that isn't 1 to 1 and then hit "apply".

vroom
09-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Thanks, but I can't find anything about scale in the structure manager, neither a column, nor in the menu or the context menu (see attachment). The Object Axis Tool is enabled and the object is selected...

This is the German version, but that shouldn't matter. I also tried to switch the modes ("Modus").

AdamT
09-20-2006, 02:03 PM
Doh! Did I say structure manager? I meant coordinates manager.

vroom
09-20-2006, 02:08 PM
That's it, thanks!

Sneaker
09-20-2006, 03:30 PM
There is also a helper doing this:
menu>functions>reset system
chose from the options there
normalize axis and reset sub objects

-Michael

AdamT
09-20-2006, 04:18 PM
But the reset system method will resize your object.

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2006, 04:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.