PDA

View Full Version : Modelling earth?

jbvoges
09-20-2006, 06:00 AM
You know those animated globes you see where the orb itself is a wireframe structure (longitude and lattitude lines), then it has the (opaque) continents stretched over it? But the inside is totally empty - no oceans, so you can see through the wireframe to the other side.

No I know I can model this using opacity maps, but it there a way to wrap a poly (with thickness value) around the orb shape, so that the continents can have a little thickness?

Cheers,
Bernard

Vilku
09-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Hello

I think a way would be to make a copy of the sphere, make it a little smaller and flip normals.
Not a perfect solution, because both sides won't be connected, but i have no idea how to do it without any more timeconsuming edit

Edit:
oh, to make my post not-so-useless

If you really want to you could 'cut' the continents, then extrude them - and leave oceans half transparent

frothlord
09-23-2006, 04:57 AM
If you use Maya you can convert a displacement to geometry. That combined with an opacity map should get you what you want.

merterkin
09-23-2006, 07:25 AM
If you use Maya you can convert a displacement to geometry. That combined with an opacity map should get you what you want.

Hi,
can you please explain how can we do it? Or any link or something will be ok :)
Thanks...

jbvoges
09-27-2006, 09:46 AM
Hello

I think a way would be to make a copy of the sphere, make it a little smaller and flip normals.
Not a perfect solution, because both sides won't be connected, but i have no idea how to do it without any more timeconsuming edit

Edit:
oh, to make my post not-so-useless

If you really want to you could 'cut' the continents, then extrude them - and leave oceans half transparent

That sounds like exactly the kind of thing I had in mind! How would you cut from an image map though?

[Working with Max]

* Thanks for all the help - much appreciated. :thumbsup:

frothlord
09-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi,
can you please explain how can we do it? Or any link or something will be ok :)
Thanks...

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tutorials/transparency_shadows/trans_shadow.html

This is a Gnomon tutorial to get around trans maps not casting shadows, by turning a displacement to geometry.

newellteapot
Hello

Max has the Shell modifier that does this beautifully.

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.