PDA

View Full Version : combustion farm problems

lux
01-30-2003, 04:25 PM
Greetings All,

Has anyone experienced problems setting up more than a couple machines in a combustion farm? At my company we parse the cws file to alter the start and end frames into sets of ten then distribute that to the watch folders of several machines. This is usually the C:\temp folder.

The problem is each machine will process the file or files as long as it does not run out of cws files in the c:\temp watch folder. When there are none left it goes to sleep and will not pick up another file when it is placed in the watch folder. If you go and hit the process button again on the render queue it picks up the new file but that involves a lot of human labour in a 24 hour period. We are creating an all CG TV special and would like to use combustion if the "render farm" will work.

I am working with or technical producer to solve the problem but we are a little stumped. Have people had better results using one large watch folder in a common network location instead of local watch folders on each machine. I personally thought the watch folder should be on the network but this was setup by a programmer who has since left the company.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lux

Chris
01-30-2003, 07:17 PM
I'm assuming you are on a Mac network? If you are on PC, you should use Backburner - you can then just assign a job to the Manager & let it automatically distribute the frames amongst the servers.

I havent used the watch folder since I had a brief stint on Combustion1, but at that stage I think you could start the render queue with a flag, so that it would process any new job automatically - the info was in the online help somewhere from memory. Sorry I cant be of more help... :shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.