PDA

View Full Version : NormalMaps/Displacement Maps Question

mahpiya
09-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Hi All,

Forgive me if this question has been asked, continously.
I am just starting to learn normal mapping in XSI 5.0. I have downloaded the ultimapper video clip, plus the caveman obj file with it's texture file.
I have also plugged the normal map node to the bump in the render tree.

Basically, I still the lowrez model is not picking up the hirez details and the outer silhoutte of the lowrez mesh, is not generaing the smoothness of the outer edges of the hirez?
Being new to this technology, I am bewildered as to what I am doing wrong. Is there any tutorials available - updated tutorials - to achieve with proper result?

I am hoping to learn Zbrush, but if XSI 5.0 has problems, I feel stumped and feel I cannot display/render the final model (with ZB), if I cannot get the nodes to work.

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thanks!

spj
09-20-2006, 12:54 AM
The outer silhoutte will never match the smoothness of your high-res model.(if this is what you're asking)
There is also a pdf on the softimage site that goes through normal mapping. I don't think its one of the latest ones but it should still be relevent.

JakCarver
09-26-2006, 03:53 AM
The outer silhoutte will never match the smoothness of your high-res model.(if this is what you're asking)
There is also a pdf on the softimage site that goes through normal mapping. I don't think its one of the latest ones but it should still be relevent.

can you provide a link please, if its not too much of a bother?

i too am havign some difficulty making nice normal maps in XSI. I think ZMapper is the best and easiest to use, but its so limited because you cant just bring in a low and hi res model from XSI unless they hve the same vertex count which stinks. So far the XSI normal maps that the ultimapper makes are horrible even at the highest quality settings; they loose all the detail and put some detail in wrong places.

spj
09-26-2006, 07:44 AM
http://www.softimage.com/education/tutorials/tutorials_arch/default.aspx

The pdf I'm talking about is at the top of this page. I've only skimmed through it but hopefully you'll find it helpful.

oglu
09-26-2006, 08:44 AM
maybe this little normalmapping tools helps..
http://santyhammer.blogspot.com/

jason-slab
09-26-2006, 11:33 AM
but are u using a displacement map? normal maps don't break your silhoutte!

js

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2006, 11:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.