PDA

View Full Version : Superman vs Darkseid 3D animation

Willustrator
09-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi All. This is my first animation of my own.
Everything was built and animated within Max

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tThA2iPU17U

I've been working at 3D studio Max for a year now.
I was wondering how am I coming along now. Should I be better after a year.
All I can see are the problems and I'm looking forward to moving on and trying something new.
Also, if anyone has any advice on what I should improve that would be really helpful

PentamiterBeast
09-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Well, assuming you've been teaching yourself all this, id say its about par for a year in. So here's some advice.

One of the mistakes, myself, and others trying to teach themselves have made is this, we try to learn too much the software, and not the things that we're trying to accomplish with it.

I would recemmend that the main problems lie with the quality of the animation, which is very static, floaty, and lacking in weight, etc. So try not doing any kind of story based piece, or complete project, and just work on some good ol fashioned animation exercises, walks, runs, lifting things, jumping, landing, going up and down stairs, etc, etc, and repeat, and repeat, and repeat them, then take the lessons you learn, and try to apply them to something where the characters have a motivation.

bon chance.

ParamountCell
09-20-2006, 12:20 AM
I know the scene that you emulated, and that is quite a faithful representation in terms of camera angles and things like that, I would love to see the flash vs luther in season to get a remake.

yencaray
09-20-2006, 02:09 AM
hehe i liked watching that! It was good! I couldn't animate something like that! I'm not an animator though. But Some things i noticed was that some of the movements seemed restricted and held back not emphasized enough and some were rather stiff! like when he windes his arm up to punch i though it was put in a rather weird position. if that was any help to you! but awesome piece! and not to shabby modeling either!

Willustrator
09-20-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks guys.
To be honest I have definately overlooked Animation and concentrated on modelling as I've learnt.

PentamiterBeast - On your reccommendations I'v sat myself down with a Biped this morning. Would you believe its only now that I'm learning the importance of the Ease From / Ease to keys.
Gonna spend a few days just getting ol Bip to run amuck about the place.

ParamountCell- If I ever was going to do another JLU scene. The flash one would definately be it. That is an incredible piece of film.

yencaray- You're spot on pointing out the awkward placement of the arms. in retrospect I can see that I saw the endline a bit early and rushed some parts. I was too keen on finally finishing something out

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2006, 10:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.