PDA

View Full Version : Something New and Fun coming

PaulS2
09-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I can't say much but I can show a little.

It's fun, it's great...it makes your bed if you want it too:-)

http://homepage.mac.com/sherstobitoff/PhotoAlbum37.html

Paul

tjs61822
09-19-2006, 03:31 PM
Very nice! Always enjoy viewing your experimental images.

Tim

Reuben5150
09-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Umm that does look good, if its non-dependant on model topology, even better..

Reuben

Vizfizz
09-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Well I can tell you that he's using the plugin in combination with Braider...but that is only one aspect of what this thing can do. It certainly doesn't need Braider to work.

PaulS2
09-19-2006, 11:19 PM
There are a few more up - different variations on a theme.

Yes, this pluggin has much practical use in day to day work...just realize my fooling around is going to take more of an 'arty' approach to it....intentionally un-practical. I'm more interested in some of the unique and unusual forms which can be created rather than more practical/useful imagery. I'll leave that for others.

Paul

richardjoly
09-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Beautiful Paul. Thanks for sharing.
If the Plugin is as good for practical work as it is for "arty", it will be great.

Vizfizz
09-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Beautiful Paul. Thanks for sharing.
If the Plugin is as good for practical work as it is for "arty", it will be great.

Richard.... but of course it will be practical. :) Its the last 2 plugins in our "Core" geometry line. It has some of the powers of Scrim but its not a lofter, works great with Trestle or by itself, takes advantage of all our geometry plugins so far, gives you nice animation capabilities, has independant graphing functions to alter the generated model's appearance, has cool beveling functions, motion graphics folks will definitely appreciate it, its unassuming at first but then you realize what you can make with it, so yah...its practical.

Martin Kay
09-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Very impressive Paul

Martin K

PaulS2
09-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Thanks all.

I have become a believer in the modular, procedural modeling approach these geometric pluggins offer. While not a complete substitute, in some cases, for a dedicated modeler they do have tremendous power.....especially when stacked on each other. The ripple down effect has opened up much spontenaity and is great for coming up with fresh ideas.

This non-destructive approach leads to much experimentation and many 'happy' accidents....many of which are actually useable:-).

....and no doubt about it, the Igors and Brian know how to make good tools!

Paul

Vizfizz
09-20-2006, 08:10 PM
Paul...

You should really see what happens when you add Trestle into the mix. Much more control over your profile & construction curves. You're doing all of this work without an internal 2D polyline editor. Pretty impressive though your life could be so much easier... :)

Vizfizz
09-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Oh... and I should point out that all of Paul's work has been tied in with Braider. This is what is giving him that "wire mesh" look to his work. However, the new plugin isn't dependant on Braider to work. It's completely capable of producing "traditional" types of objects. :)

PaulS2
09-21-2006, 04:03 PM
A couple of new abstract images.

I can honestly say, I haven't had this much fun in years working with 3D tools - even getting up at 4:00 am because there is so much to try and can hardly wait to get at it:-).

I added Trestle into the mix and find that it really was a missing piece in my work-flow with these pluggins. Great tool and really expands any of the geometric pluggins one already has by providing a good non-destructive curve creation and instancing tool. Nicely developed and well thought through.

I am using Braider for the general look of what I am doing but it is only a piece of the work-flow....an essential one though. In some of these I'll have Trestle, then Braider, then X (new pluggin), then Braider again and finishing off with X and Trestle feeding X. Much simpler in real-life than my description ...this stack gives very fast visual feed-back and tremendous control and variety.

These tools have given me an expanded range of options and am able to create new and interesting organic geometry. These last examples (and remember they are fairly quick and I could see much exploration done to really refine what I am after) have a very lyrical, organic but orderly feel to them. I love the accuracy and orderliness of digital media but cringe at the coldness it can produce....these tools open up huge possibilities of getting in some random warmth.

Remember again though, these images are only my take and use of them and am purposely going away from anything recognizeable - just some exploration of new forms and techniques. I hate for anyone to get the idea they only do abstracty kind of things.

Paul

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2006, 04:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.