PDA

View Full Version : speed up "motion designer" motion

Werner
01-30-2003, 01:09 PM
How do I speed up the end result, so it doesn't look like it's in slow motion. I'm talkin about wind and gravity motion.

let me know if I need to upload an example if it's unclear.

Chagidiel
01-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Hi... its me again :)

Increase the value of gravity and the target surface´s weight. You might try to increase the wind-values as well, but I think (not entirely sure) that increasing the weight works somewhat like particles; that is they show higher response to the wind the higher the weight value is. Since you can combine MD with PFX wind and gravity I find it logical they use wind in a similar manner.

Werner
01-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Chagidiel
Hi... its me again :)

Increase the value of gravity and the target surface´s weight. You might try to increase the wind-values as well, but I think (not entirely sure) that increasing the weight works somewhat like particles; that is they show higher response to the wind the higher the weight value is. Since you can combine MD with PFX wind and gravity I find it logical they use wind in a similar manner.

hey, thanks for aal the help...do you ever leve these forums? :beer:

I tried that, but just got less hair motion...it still took to long (frames) for the hair to fall into place. The motion works beautifully, but it looks a bit in slow motion...would probably look right if I played the avi back at twice the speed.

Chagidiel
01-30-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Werner
do you ever leve these forums?

Hehe... Lately I have always had a window open here in the background... so I´m kinda here, even though I am not browsing.

I´m still a relatively new member so I still find it fun to hike around when I´m bored with other work.

But well... ok... you can always try increasing the values further. They have no limit (for good and for bad)

But I came to think of an important issue here! All parameters in MD are in one way or another related to the scale of the object. This is easy to forget; especially when just experimenting.
If that is the case here; make clear how large you imagine your hair-thing to be in reality and rescale the model to something like that. This will alter the way MD´s motion appears and perhaps be closer to what you want. From there you certainly will have to tweak the weight and gravity-parameters and hopefully you will get it as you want it.

Good luck

Maxx
01-30-2003, 03:27 PM
An idea - check out the section on mdd dumping in the manual. I seem to remember something about doing the calculations, saving off the dump file, and then you can load the object and dump into another scene - it should start any new movement at the end of the calculations. I think. It's been a while since I've messed with Motion Designer (personally, can't stand it. But, that's a totally different rant :p ), and I don't have the manual sitting in front of me right now, but I *seem* to remember that...

maybe....

a2reason
01-30-2003, 03:51 PM
Under object properties/deformations there is a md-plugin for md-activated objects. Clicking there you get an option to change the playback speed of the mdd-file.
This will help if you animate the whole sequence in slow motion and then speed it all up.

sprogger
01-30-2003, 06:05 PM
You could try lowering the resistance value for the hair, which will speed up the motion of the hair.

Cheers
Sprogger.

DaveW
01-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Assuming everything is to scale, set the gravity to -9.8 on the Y axis to match Earth's gravity. That alone goes a long way towards making md calculations look more realistic.

Werner
01-31-2003, 06:50 AM
thanks ya all. I'll try this, and post again. :beer: :buttrock:

twidup
01-31-2003, 07:06 AM
another option is to scale all the motion in your scene by 2, and then AFTER you record you MD and reload the scene, scale everything back and open the MD deformation plugin and set the speed to .5 if I recall correctly, that will speed up your motions.

alternately, if the motions appear too fast, scale your scene down(this only needs to happen if there is collission int he scene) by .5 and record your MD, then scale back to normal and set your MD playback speed to 2.

that will slow it all down ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.