PDA

View Full Version : Tips/Questions for anime/bodyarmor model

bblanar
09-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Hi,

I have some questions I'd like to figure out before I procede much further. Also, any tips would be GREATLY appreciated. I usually model cell phones and simple stuff for work. This is a side project for my own pleasure.

1. I plan on rigging her and having her do some poses and turns. She's not going to do an action scene, but i would like her turning to the camera and clenching her first or kneeling down. I am concened about her joints ( knee, etc ) where there are pieces of hard armor that do not bend, and where she is in a soft skin-tight cloth body suit that does bend. Should I merge and connect? How should I procede?

2. Her shoulder pads. They are hard and do not bend. however will need to kinda shift and move up. As far as riggin a human char, from reels ive seen people build their chars with arms out. I'm wondering about how her pieces should be laid out and a good way to go about this, so I dont end up remodelling most of her when I'm knee deep in rigging her.

3. I'm worried about funky poly's and moves I think I might be doing to achieve edges of armor. Is there a site or place where I can download, open, and examine a model that has similar geometry?

4. Rig or Texture after model is 'done'?

When this nears completion, I'd be happy to upload/send the model to some geometry jedi, and get a critique.

Thank you.

http://www.twilighttactics.net/screens/3d/modelhelp.jpg

CaptRuss
09-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Bubblegum Crisis... a classic.

1. Well that depends entirely upon what software you'll be rigging and animating in. They all will handle "soft parts working with rigid parts" slightly differently. I'd model the soft parts in place next to the rigid, but as non-connected geometry. That'll give you the most options.

2.Well, what *I* would do is to model them seperately to be parented to the skeleton at rigging time, then drive their position with expressions or SDK or whatever.

3. There's a decent render of Priss' hardsuit on one of the old (like 10 years ago!) Anime Expo program guides. Might google for that. Other than that, just experiment, look at the results in OpenGL and rendered, from many angles, and tweak until you're happy. Best way to learn.

4. Yeah, more or less.

Have fun, good luck.

bblanar
09-20-2006, 01:22 AM
thanx, im working on this every minute i can. i havent really rigged anything before so im not sure on my limitations when i get there. im wanting some of her armor to build on and such down the road. currently working on the helmet tonite. blocking it out. other than this diagram. i do have action figure models i imported for reference. of course they dont exactly match up.

big new question tho.

????? Does anyone use Set Crease/Hard Edge value? i want this girl super photo real, and able to go up close to any part of her body with the camera and look flawless. should i just use extra edges to reinforce and create harder seams? I use XSI not sure if they are a problem or not ????

MacManiax
09-20-2006, 07:35 AM
when you bind you can select the character mesh and leave the armor unselected(if its all one mesh just seperate it). Then all you need to do is parent the armor to the correct joint, box, locator or whatever. And like the above person mentioned SDK's would probably be the easiest way to get the movement you wanted.

bblanar
09-20-2006, 07:58 PM
thanx, that makes sense. didnt know i could do that really. i will create a partial leg/kneel to fill in the between the armor gaps on the leg and wherever and make them soft and parent alot of the rigid armor.

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2006, 07:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.