PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Contest: World of Warcraft - The Bearenstain Beast

MILES00
09-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Although I am a newcomer to the cgtalk forums, I would hope you won't mind me sharing my Blizzard Art Contest entry with you all. There have been some really amazing submissions shown on these boards!

Inspired by Blizzard's World of Warcraft and in tribute to the authors of "The Berenstain Bears" children's books:

http://www.milesharrison.com/ImageDump/TPB/BearenstainBeast.jpg

JimmyMac
09-18-2006, 09:44 PM
Probably the most inventive concept I've seen so far. Loved the show when I was growing up. Looks great. Awesome job!

blacker
09-18-2006, 09:51 PM
That is AMAZING!! :)

I have a question though, the black outline, is that from compositing or have you set up the 3d program to hardware render that way? The reason I ask is that the outline doesn't seem to penetrate the shape at all (on the legs for example, it doesn't taper off all the way up at the shoulder).

Quite nice though! Good work!

Titan369
09-18-2006, 10:28 PM
I agree, this thing is just too cool, i love every part of it, how do you do that black outline around your character like that?

Espen
09-18-2006, 11:38 PM
hi MILES00, I really love this piece! thanx for sharing.
On the Ar Contest page it says that "All submissions will be judged on originality of vision and technical execution". On the originality side your creature beats a lot of the technicaly more advanced submissions. But on the side of presentation and execution I think that your Beast could have been presented a lot better and I wished that you would have presented some of your WIP before so that all the forum guys could have given you some advice. I don't know the children book that was a reference to you and I am wondering why you decided to do everything without any shading? This makes the character very flat and it is difficult to understand the volume of the body. There are some white cracks in the bark and I would rather think them to be black because if the bear is hollow it should be dark inside, shouldn't it? The overall contrast could be better and you should have added some color variation or at least some variation in brightness to the texture to make parts like his belly a bit different to let's say his back...

Sorry for going so much into details. I really love this Beast. And nice to see that you are working with modo too. You seem to have pretty much the same workflow as I normally use.

Keep up the great work! I am looking forwared to your next idea.

Best Regards
--Espen

scorpion007
09-18-2006, 11:50 PM
is this 2D or 3D? At first i thought this was a 2d concept art, but now im not sure?
Looks great though.

if its 3d can we see a wire or texturemap perhaps?

MILES00
09-21-2006, 05:37 AM
Thank you for the positive feedback. Here is an updated version that includes the wireframes and painted diffuse texture.

http://www.milesharrison.com/ImageDump/Blizzard/BearenstainBeast.jpg

BoBo-the-seal
09-21-2006, 12:41 PM
One of my favorites from the comp. I love the style and idea. Good luck Miles!

- BoBo

onelung
09-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Fantastic, i think this piece actually would fit into the WoW world, and the texture size is alot more appopriate than the others i've seen. Great idea, and presentation, love the little touches, like the bees and the honey dripping.

smurfbizkit2
09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Very well done. Something to note though, you could easily have used a 256x512 map for this which would've been more impressive. The mirrored top and (largely) mirrored sides could've been mapped together, you could've just used 1 bee, etc.

All in all though, a very clever concept and excellent texture. :)

Woyman
09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
I really love this. I think it would fit in the world so perfectly. Great great work!

SPIDER2544
09-22-2006, 08:16 PM
fanatsic concept and model, i thought it was adrawing at first the texture painting on this is amazing. really awsome work

dnorth
09-23-2006, 12:10 AM
Nice work - haven't seen any Blizzard entries quite like this. I really like the way the presentation page is laid out too.

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2006, 12:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.