PDA

View Full Version : The Price Of Magic, Stahlberg (2D), (2D)

Stahlberg
01-30-2003, 08:52 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/Stahlberg_magic_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/566/Stahlberg_magic.jpg)

Title: The Price Of Magic, Stahlberg (2D)
Name:
Software: Photoshop

http://www.androidblues.com/priceofmagicsketch1.jpg
Original sketch
http://www.androidblues.com/priceofmagic.jpg

typeA
01-30-2003, 08:59 AM
ahh..love it..we need more 2d from you sir..

Physion
01-30-2003, 01:35 PM
Wow, that looks really good.

Zukum
01-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Jaw-droppingly impressive.

Really like the treatment of light on the clouds and the work with the water. The only thing that I don't like is the treatment of the raven. He seems to be part of the drama of the image but is left looking rather stonelike in pose and detail. Perhaps a refinement of the fethers and a bit of reflected light on them and his eye.

Truly an impressive piece though. :thumbsup:

wildsheepchase
01-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Really great image.:love: I think I would like to see some more highlights on her left side....her skin color is almost too grey/green. Excellent work on the background and water.
:beer:

PsychedelicMind
01-30-2003, 02:41 PM
This is so beautiful... when i saw the sketch, i wasn't prepared to see the actual cged work. It really was a plesent and inspiring surprise! :D you rock!

Sleepless
01-30-2003, 03:13 PM
You're a true champion of 2d & 3d work. Those clounds are very cool.

Kirt
01-30-2003, 04:17 PM
Your 2D work is equally impressive as your 3D stuff. I really like the lighting on this the way it is. I wouldn't change that at all.

The only thing I would reconsider in this piece is the orgins of the water ... it looks like it's coming out of her backside. :surprised

Maybe add an altar in front or just leave it trail off while in front of her? :shrug:

Titan
01-30-2003, 04:30 PM
impressive texture anfd lighting work on those clouds...you really are good!!! and the girl is beautiful as usual;)

Slacker
01-31-2003, 12:43 AM
I agree. excellent painting. :thumbsup:

dmcgrath
01-31-2003, 01:29 AM
Freaking amazing work again, Sthal!

One crit, the fingers are too short, from what I can tell. Also the perspective of the top of the arch is a little off.

Amazing work , nevertheless.:beer:

robcamp
01-31-2003, 02:01 AM
holy cow! Stunning paintetly style. Everything is masterful.

My only tiny gripe is with the clouds toward the bottom of the sky, where they form some kind of lines that appear a bit too regular in shape.

ironbearxl
01-31-2003, 02:18 AM
Holy McMoley!!!! :eek:
That's very beautiful and I love the water effect.

sonix
01-31-2003, 02:18 AM
Inspirational work as ever.:bounce:

Every time I see some of your work I have to try and improve my techniques.

Indirectly you even forced me to by a graphics tablet.

The 3D version, if modeled, will look stunning I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing that.

Sonix.

Stahlberg
01-31-2003, 02:27 AM
Thanks, excellent feedback! I just uploaded another tweaked version (sorry but I keep over-writing the first one, otherwise I'd have too many files on my disk I do it so often...)
I worked on the raven, the top of the arch, her face (enlarged the nose, reddened the lips, added hair etc), added a shadow across her chest, and added a ruby necklace (which the raven gave her, and which will later extract the price from her...)
I'll work more on the hands later.
Kirt, about the water from the backside... :) I don't really want to add an altar... in my first idea I had her holding a vase or something, but I thought it would be even cooler to have a loop of water just appearing from nowhere, just hanging in midair, water going round and round... I also wanted it to encircle her completely... maybe I'll just reposition it a bit.

Zukum
01-31-2003, 04:17 AM
Gorgeous.

Very nicely modified. The lips, nose and hair seem to give her a fuller and stronger personality. Thanks for the tweak to the raven as his eye is now perfect and he has become a major player in your visual story.The shadow from the water across her chest adds depth, nicely done.

You're going to think of this as nit-picking but the necklace to me should be toned down just a touch.

Truly impressive and coloured with feeling and great talent. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LucentDreams
01-31-2003, 06:57 AM
Those clods are awesome, and the water effect really nice too, would loe to know more about the clouds though.

Shame you don't suck at 3D so we could encourage you to stick to the 2D stuff, but as usual 99% praise 1% crit, the necklace just doesn't meld into the rest of the image, and hteres a subtle bit of rim lighting on the beak of the bird, perhaps just a little on the feathers?

lildragon
01-31-2003, 07:22 AM
Another masterful piece of work Steven, the only things that stand out for me however is the bottom right on the altar, what's happening there? As for the water effect umm it looks really good but for some reason a bit too much like an Eye Candy PS filter, I think the prob is that it has too much "body" if you know what I mean, but I dig the highlights on it. Maybe it could be a touch more transparent depending on what you're aiming for.

The woman is beautiful, don't touch that, but can you explain to me how that cloth is staying wrapped around her? :p And if its going to be wrapped that much around, maybe the piece behind her that we can see, needs to be pulled more into that direction, cause as of right now, the part that's around her has no visible effect of force on the clothing behind her.

Anyhoo enough rambling, damn inspiring piece, I'm just nitpicking because it's stellar heheh.

You have received the CGtalk choice award (what's this like your 3rd? :)). Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! very inspiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/award_jan_2003_2.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

New
01-31-2003, 08:12 AM
Wha! morbid picture. Especially ilumination is perfect and all, composition, theme.. and the water.

You are fckng god. ;D

haslingerDesign
01-31-2003, 08:18 AM
whow, thats really impressive - a giant step from the scetch to the painting. You must have the imagination of...

dsigna
01-31-2003, 08:50 AM
hey... how do you made the water?.. with real-flow-painter ;)

AJE
01-31-2003, 09:00 AM
At this point, I honestly think making this into a 3D work would be a shame. Some things don't NEED 3D to look great...

and this looks great.

And for all those out there that say you don't need to be able to do traditional art to be excellent at 3D, look at the first page of this thread again.

Gilgamesh
01-31-2003, 09:36 AM
golly. who needs 3d?

moroten
01-31-2003, 09:55 AM
Awesome. The only thing striking me is the flying fluids, which looks quite a bit like the Samsung color celphone TV ads lately. you know the one where the models "paint" the air with splashing colorful jets of liquid from their colorscreen phones.

-D:)

Leydecker
01-31-2003, 11:03 AM
I think her left arm needs refinement. IŽd say *rotate* the
elbow a bit back and also have her left hand come forward
a bit. Would add the needed volume compared to her right,
lovely structured and lit arm.

(To make sure, seen from viewer, her right needs adjustment)

Also, her stance looks slightly twisted. One of her breasts
should be reworked to change the angles. IŽd say rework her
right one. The hole on her stomach (my english fails me) isnŽt
in place.

The chain on her neck draws attention from her face. Her mouth
is too blurry. IŽd like to see a haircurl on her forehead. Seen
from the viewer, her right forehead looks cut off. I think this
curl would add( backlit?).

After all, IŽd say waste the 3D idea and do it enirely 2D.

Looks great.

tim

Ah, and since IŽd never be able to achieve this quality, a
tutorial would be great. Also showing how you reworked the
clouds.

mv
01-31-2003, 11:11 AM
Great work Mr.Stahlberg. Very sensual, I like that water very much, it adds tension to the scene; I just imagine the cold water so near to the warm skin..it gives shivers.
Eagerly waiting for the 3d version...if you could post your progress in the W.I.P. section, that would be a great gift for the 3d community !(if I may ask)

wgreenlee1
01-31-2003, 11:12 AM
Sweet!

xLonewolfx
01-31-2003, 12:31 PM
great art man

only think i notice is that there is too much shade under her nose

its like she have a mustash :surprised

HapZungLam
01-31-2003, 01:37 PM
You may need to lighten up or more saturate on the character. What i'll do if i work this on CG is that i will increase the intensity on my fill (blue light which shoot from the bottom, which is great, i like that) light to bring more contrast of the character and get more obvious shadows.

The cloud and the sky work out perfectly, it is very fantasy kind of feel. Hum... The sky can be little more purple since the cloud is very red(orange).

One thing that very bugs me is that there has a dark area on the lower left corner that keep pulling my eye towards it. If i force my eye to your character, i feel that some how the scene is very crowed. Later on i found out that the lower left corner dark spot is an eagle. Then i think you put in there on purpose. For this part, i don't have any good suggestion for you.

Please forgive me on my non hold back critique.:p

noktUp
01-31-2003, 01:53 PM
INSANITY!!!!!

crazy insane!:beer:

(noktUp(teenSlut))

noktUp
01-31-2003, 01:55 PM
weak with the pop up on your site though:(

GUMP
01-31-2003, 02:27 PM
Very Impressive piece of work.

draconix
01-31-2003, 02:28 PM
To get the crits out of the way:

I can see what Tim Leydecker means. The hands look like she's facing me while the body is at an angle to me. Also, either drop the right breast or raise the left one to balance it. Also consider adding a bit more water globles along the length of the water effect to give it a barely holding together look, the ones at the top are great.

That said, sweet pic!

The clouds are awesome, her face has a cherubic look, peaceful yet a bit stressed. The colors are awesome, the water looks awesome. :thumbsup

Ckerr812
01-31-2003, 02:39 PM
Your talent always amazes me Mr.Stahlberg, awsome stuff.

With that said I have no real critques, because I could not do any better, but I would like to ask a question.

Why would you want to model this image in 3d if your not going to animate her?

I mean I think the painting itself conveys the idea beautifly, and with a little touch up with detail would be just as good as doing it in 3d.

Unless you would want to animate it, what's the point of doing it in 3d if you can get your visual idea across by digital painting? If you were going to animate her and the water then I think it would be well worth the effort doing it in 3d.

*just my 2 cents*

Gamoron
01-31-2003, 03:06 PM
Shit! Too bad your too busy to enter the 2d challenge. Beautiful and very accomplished image!:beer: :thumbsup:

Crapstick
01-31-2003, 03:49 PM
Amazing - at first glance the PS repaint looks like a 3D render, even though it's quite gestural/painterly - you have such a good understanding of optical effects.

Please model/animate/render it - imagine that liquid thing drifting in thru the window..interacting with the character..

The Magic Pen
01-31-2003, 03:58 PM
Steven excellent work my freind , the onyl thing I would add is some kind of effect ..making it look as though the water were being moved magically , rather then looking like flaoting water . I think the composition looks great and it's a very nice illustration ...can't wait to see it translated to 3D :buttrock:

Bane
01-31-2003, 04:04 PM
This is amazing, I love it. Its so realistic, yet so fantasy...aaaaaaah. It totaly looks inspired by the wheel of time, like shes channleing some water weaves around herself or somthing.

The only thing i cold crit on is the face, the shape is very nice, but the colouring seems to have blurred it. I know its super hard to unblur somthing beyond redoing it though.

I want to see more!

Boone
01-31-2003, 05:33 PM
Very good work, indeed...consider yourself a true artist.:cool:

Julez4001
01-31-2003, 06:55 PM
I interested in the skin color for the woman. She seems to have darker skin than the usual fare so with the high red-orange sunset reflecting and lighting the skin woukld make for a "different" illumination piece or at least a rarely covered topic. Sorta studying for the next level of sub light scattering on humans.

LOVE the 2D

stephen2002
01-31-2003, 07:13 PM
looks very good, a completed work in itself.

JA-forreal
01-31-2003, 07:40 PM
I was wondering since you are a commercial art veteran how software 2D pre-viz work fits into a hectic 3d modeling, texturing, rendering and and composting workflow shedule for a 3d Shop. Maybe you don't have the time for it either.

I am a one man shop so at most I can just scetch out an image, scene or storyboard on an artpad with color pencils. Then I start the 3d developement process. I would love to have the time to draw a wonderful 2d software pre-viz of my projects to "draw" from throughout my developements. I know that most of the 2D work here on this forum is from students that may or may not be working on a 3d production of some kind. I think back to the "Anibite" 3d animation project as the first time I begin to even consider doing more a advanced 3d project for the small screen. But even then, that project was done by a team of 3d and 2d artist. I know I'm "fishing". I haven't given myself the time to do a personal 3d project in years. I should get on that.

Anyway , love your work man.

JA-forreal

Xaint
01-31-2003, 08:27 PM
The water could illuminate the body through it's sheer, instead of shadowing it like a solid object. This would give the image a more mistical touch. It would worth a try IMO. What dou you think ppl?

No problem with the even clouds at the bottom. This adds rhythm toward the act!

I feel there's too much hooks in the water, thus distracting it's elegance, balance & breaks rhythm.

BTW, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gfx
01-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Hi, it looks quite nice, but that crow really seems out of place and also seems really big (weird scaling).

I really think it would be better if you omitted it entirely, or maybe have it (or even a few) flying toward the girl from farther away.

Gotham
01-31-2003, 11:04 PM
Just simply: Mmmmmm

akela
02-01-2003, 12:38 AM
Stahlberg: it's really amazing find that you not only master 3D women modelling, but also you can give a beautiful expression to a 2D image. And I also will be very happy to see it translated to 3D. I know that this is the ultimate goal: to surpass the technical proficiency and reach the artistic pleasure that relies on the imagination gettin materialized.

Oh, by the way: if you want feedback, I'd say that the only things that are a bit strange are the position of the right breast and the crow, that looks like a "hairy" bird than a "feathered" bird (I donŽt know if I'm expressing myself right). Both details were more acquired on the pencil sketch. In the colored image also the bird doesn't look as expressive (looks statuary, rigid) and like a crow as in the sketch.

Well, thanks for a beautiful and inspirational work :) I truly admire your work.

Ocean Size
02-01-2003, 03:57 AM
NICE, you obviosly have art skills, I have a suggestion, for me the background horizon looks too low and flat. Also, it's nice too see you put some normal looking (non-HUGE grafity defying oddly shaped) breasts on a woman character, thanks!

:applause:

Stahlberg
02-01-2003, 04:48 AM
Thanks! Just uploaded another update:
Right shoulder & elbow less muscular
'Moved' arms away from breasts, tilted right hand up, moved head forward
Reddened/darkened orange bricks slightly
Reduced saturation on necklace
Moved navel & right breast & left arm
Lightened water, added 'light' FX from hands
Sharpened face
Reduced and refined raven, added red light
fiddled with the horizon

Some question why I should even bother doing this in 3d. Basically it's for a 3d contest... two actually.
And anyway, doing it in 3d will definitely help with the lighting and the anatomy, and raytracing the water will definitely make it more real than I can paint it. But rest assured that if any part of the 2d looks better than the 3d, I'll retouch it in Photoshop... :) What I'm after is a kind of synthesis of the two ways of producing an image - I suspect the 2d helps make the 3d better, and vice versa. I may end up with a mix of the two. Not sure yet what will happen. Maybe I'll run out of time, if so then I'll be content to leave it in the 2d realm. But I want to try at least.

JA-forreal - it's the first time I'm trying this, I've 'stolen' a couple days cause I didn't really have the time... :) I'm not really sure how it will turn out, but it's something I've been wanting to try for a long time.

awnold
02-01-2003, 06:39 AM
you have to be kidding me! you need to write some books quick. You have really mastered artistic understanding and coupled it with computers. I cant wait for the first book...

Matt

Risibility
02-01-2003, 07:15 AM
dearest lildragon of the lildragonpeople -

the cloth is staying wrapped around her because it is draped over her head and falling heavily onto the ground, but i think the clumping on the right side (her left) is a lil exaggerated but still well done.

kill the crow plz. thx

LordEzzat
02-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Wow this os one of the most beautiful pieces i have ever seen...Its just very gorgeous with the color and the mixture of content very beautiful...doyou have a website with more work like this?

ninja noodle
02-01-2003, 11:01 AM
beautiful work!!! i'm so jealous! wish i could draw and model like you!!! will have to practice more!!! you have such a high standard of work! how long does it take you to usually finish a model? i had a nose of your web site and the models were highly detailed!!! again.. you are an amazing artist!! :bowdown:

future14
02-01-2003, 11:59 AM
it's gorgeous man!!!!
it's so nice................great job man~!!!!

kwshipman
02-02-2003, 06:11 AM
You can draw too:eek: :eek:

Ah crap.

But Seriously very good painting here. Only crits are the bottom left corner seems strangly out of place. Cant tell if there is a reason for the distortion.

Second is the upper lip. It kind of looks like her mouth is closed which would make the lip rather big. So if it is supposed to be open, a little more clarity would fix it.

Last one is very minor. The croshatch texture on the upper right. It should either be fadded, or more texture added elseware on the alter. Probably fadded, with like a chipped look would be best.

Just some ideas. Keep it up, all of your work is very inspiring.

Abe
02-02-2003, 06:59 PM
Firstly Steven you keep saying that you've uploaded an up date but where is it i carn't see it.This is so good its almost 3D as it is .Anyway i'm off to your site to see if you've got it up there .First Class as always Abe.PS like the composition its very Pre -Raphalite in its mood and setting

Stahlberg
02-04-2003, 04:17 AM
lildragon, about the cloth and being naked - she used to be ugly duckling, or at least the rather plain one, part of what lured her to magic was the possibility of making herself truly desirable. Another large part was the ecstasy they said enveloped the practitioner... and here she is, beautiful, rich and powerful for the first time in her life, transported by the euphoria of it all... she's not wearing much because she wants to a) see if it worked, and b) flaunt it cause now she's got it... I think what's about to happen here could be called a 'night on the town', and I think it will be a memorable one, for both her and the town... :)

LordEzzat, my website http://www.androidblues.com

Abe, I keep uploading the same file with the same name, and over-writing the older file. May seem silly but I just can't keep all the intermediate ones around, I just tweak too much.
In fact I just tweaked again, made the mouth and the lower left corner a bit more clear, thanks for the crits. :)

Someone asked for a tutorial on the clouds, here's a quick one:
http://www.androidblues.com/cloudtut.html

mrZack
02-05-2003, 03:24 AM
ha ha just kidding

i wish i had your painting and modeling skillz.
so jealous.

:drool:

Abe
02-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks Steven I will no where to look now also how about changing the news date on your site its been the same for ages now

Stahlberg
02-06-2003, 04:51 AM
Hm? Last update on the News was January 23?

forve
02-06-2003, 07:01 AM
Great painting. As always. But, I think, it would be more interesting to see her in 3D ;)

And about your site. Frankly speaking I wonder to people who don't know this address :)
But why one link not works? From news section.

feerik
02-06-2003, 10:47 AM
Superb. You are really a complete artist. Still cheer.
:thumbsup:

Abe
02-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Whoop's sorry Steve guess iv'e egg on my face, I my defence I visit your site often and when you moved from the US it was a long time before you updated the news link on your home page so I stopped looking and jumped right in.I'm on my way back now to look at Rhayne although I have a feeling Iv'e allready got it as I have almost everything on disc that I think you have done !.Only for my own pleasure that is, I enjoy collecting and veiwing them at will , thanks for sharing Abe

pestopedo
02-06-2003, 11:14 PM
The colors are all perfect. This is a really good painting or whaterver it is. Good job.

Leydecker
02-07-2003, 08:48 AM
Hi Steve,

thanks a buch for posting your cloudtutorial.

tim

grassonbrain
09-27-2004, 10:52 AM
I really light the skin colour , ..just like the wat those old master did ,...amazing~!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TiCool
03-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Cool, that's how a female magician having her shower:applause:

zoren
03-21-2005, 08:58 PM
wow, that water effect is great!! I'm a beginner and want to learn how that is done!

pearl3d
03-21-2005, 09:39 PM
what can i say...all of your work is amazing...fantastic work...

congratulations :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2005, 09:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.