PDA

View Full Version : What's the Différence in Octane Hardware ?

PostHuit
01-30-2003, 09:14 AM
I wonder what make the Octane 2 system so STRONG.

What are the Hard Discs caracteristic. (more than 7200t/min)?

What kind of hardware can play Real Time 2K or 4K footages (with effects !) ?

I'm still French .... excuse my English.
J.

Aruna
01-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Octane2s are spec'd a little differently than previous Octanes. They contain a better graphics subsystem, allowing for realtime HD playback and much fast hard drive arrays. I'm pretty sure the CPU modules can get much quicker than an Octane as well. Also higher memory availability.. Check out the SGI Octane 2 Workstation (http://www.sgi.com/workstations/octane2/) page for current specs.
Also, Flame 8 won't run on an old Octane, since it uses the new graphics system( V10, V12, etc).

eudemonie
01-30-2003, 08:13 PM
---

i think he is asking for differences between octane <-> "pc"

I/O ... graphic sub system etc.

--
eu

Aruna
01-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Ooooh.. heh. Compared to a PC eh.. The hard drives which reside in an Octane 2 are SCSI drives, which typically run now at 10K rpm or 15K rpm. They also have proprietary graphics hardware which intergrates with the system as a whole, allowing you to get images off of disk very quickly to display on the screen. In a visual effects environment, most Octanes and Octane2s are mated with a 'stone' which is a discreet HD RAID array. These 'stones' typically can stream HD in realtime (depending on the type of stone), as well as 2k to a certain point. If you get a top of line Octane, you would be able to stream HD realtime with the right I/O. The discreet arrays connect to the Octane via fiberchannel, although some older ones have SCSI arrays. I hope that helps a bit!

PostHuit
01-31-2003, 01:41 PM
Thank you for reply Aruna,

It's more clear for me now.

I saw a Flint an Flame 8 workin' on an Octane station in Satis at Paris (audiovisuel meeting). And the system is very very fast !

Maybe a day I will try ? :(

J.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.