PDA

View Full Version : Animation in Games

j5ive
09-18-2006, 08:33 AM
Can you guys explain to me something, when animating sequences in games...

Basically I'm not even sure how to word this, do you create all of the anims, (walking, crouching, fighting etc) in the same timeline? are they set key driven? I'm wanting to get into the industry, I can model/texture/animate, but can't find the answer on how to make the animation in games. I'm struggling to get my question across here. do you create one anim sequence, then export it as a driven movement?

Gadric
09-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Hi,

It's not easy to answer you, there are so much engines out there, most of them work different, the animation system of them, too. Maybe try to work with one. E.g. try the Torque engine, it is an engine for indipendent game developer. With such engines, you could make experiences. You could also try to work on a mod for a game, often here at cgtalk i see online projects were you can help and learn.

best regards, Gadric

PS: currently i work with the vision engine and you can make all animations export out of one max file, but also every anim in an extra max file. Both things have their good and bad sides. I make one file for each animation, cause we have so many anims and in one file, i would lost overview....

j5ive
09-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Ah thanks, I'll be using an engine that a friend has created so best to ask him whether its supported. Thanks for replying.

NikLG
09-18-2006, 12:22 PM
Exporting anims is, as said above, entirley down to the game engine.
In the past I have exported individual cycles ( ie just animated a run from frame 1 to frame 16 or wahtever, then exported that, and saved the file ) and also exported sequences of cycles ( everything from breathing, and idles to walks and runs in the same sequence. The export tool had to be told what frames in the sequence represented what action and could be named therein also ).
It doesn't really matter. You'll have to do it all anyway... :)

Nik

Headless
09-18-2006, 01:33 PM
As the other guys have said it's all dependent on the type of game you're making, the engine that you're working with, whether you're doing full body animation or seperate upper and lower body animation, or whether you're doing keyframed animation or motion capture.

If you can be more specific on the type of game animation you're going for then i'll explain how i'd go about doing it, but how to implement animation in a game is too wide a subject for me to do a general overview.

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2006, 01:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.