PDA

View Full Version : Facial rig problem

lifire
09-18-2006, 06:36 AM
I've been working on a new facial setup in Maya that I saw here: http://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/character/276.html

I decided to test it to see how I liked it. However, some steps in that tutorial are a little hard to understand.

The face setup is using curve influences. There are clusters for each vert on each curve, parented to the child control curves. The child control curves have a parent (parent constraint) curve for SDKs for general shapes, and then the animator can tweak those child curves individually. The system works great, except for one small problem:

The weighting on the face is destroyed when the anything below the head (including the head control itself) and above the waist influences the position of the head. The face looks fine when you translate the whole rig, so I know for a fact that the verts that are exploding are not weighted to the world at all. The influence curves, the clusters, and the control curves are parented to the head joint, so they all follow. The verts painted to the control curves, however, do not in extreme poses.

The scene file is included in the link if anyone would be kind enough to take a look at it and see what the problem might be. The problem still continues to elude me.

The problem isn't with the face controls themselves, but the stray verts that seem to have no weight to the head or the control curve that is following the head. See image for example of what I mean. As you can see, the control curves are in the same exact place, as well as the clusters. However, the face deforms when the head is rotated...

Thanks much.

http://www.rhodes3dsetup.com/orcRigAlmostDone.zip

Edit: Problem solved. Even though the clusters were parented to the control curves, and the control curves followed the head, that wasn't enough. You would think parenting both would create a double transform, but it is actually the opposite. So by parenting everything but the baseCurves (created when adding the curves as influence) it now works. This post can be deleted.

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2006, 06:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.