PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody tell me what the size of the human iris is in diameter please?

mercuryrex
09-18-2006, 03:00 AM
Can anybody tell me what the size of the human iris is in diameter please?

Every time I try to model a human head using correct dimensions and size, I just can't get the eyes to fit properly.

I know that according to what I find on the net, most sources say that a human eyeball is about 25mm in diameter.
I get an image reference of the full body knowing what height it is.

As I can't test if the eye is 25mm in diameter as most of it is hidden behind the eyelids, I presume that the human iris is 12.5 mm.

But it can't be.
Either the iris can't be 12.5mm, or the human eyeball can't be 25mm in diameter.
Because I always have everything else measured up correctly, in correct real world scale....
...yet the damned eyes never fit.

The eyeball is always too small in comparison to everything else. I am always left with the eyelid shape having too much space at the ends with holes at either side of the eyeball where just eyeball should be.
I try to improvise, but I always end up trying to fix it with my eyes ending up looking too beady.

Does anybody else have this problem trying to model to correct scale but ending up with the eyes not correct?

The only assumption I can make is that the human iris cannot be 12.5mm in diameter.
Because if I model the eyeball using that measurement for the iris then it throws everything else out.

If anybody can help me out and let me know what the correct dimensions of the human iris and the human eyeball are I'd be more than grateful.
I'd really appreciate it if somebody can help me out here.

tedzbug
09-19-2006, 01:33 PM
well.......with calipers and a mirror.... mine measures almost exactly 1/2" = 12.7mm

and from what i hear......it doesnt need to BE right, it just needs to LOOK right, so if it looks good, who cares about actual measurement.

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2006, 01:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.