PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard contest Diablo

arshlevon
09-17-2006, 10:29 PM
Well i finished up, i just hope i can submit, i have been trying for almost 2 hours with no luck, i am sure the server is going through hell now on the last day. to grab the full submission with orthos and maps go here http://www.arshlevon.com/images/Sharit_final_diablo.jpg

http://www.arshlevon.com/images/poster_final_diablo.jpg

http://www.arshlevon.com/images/poster_detal.jpg

katzeimsack
09-17-2006, 10:38 PM
hmm I don't know why, but I think the normal only version looks better :/

I tried more then 4 hours and it didn't work... there is an email for contest questions..
I send it to them and hope the yount me in...

Espen
09-17-2006, 11:27 PM
excellent work! rich detail, perfect pose, good silhouette, fantastic normal map details without any seams or distortions and all this with a AAA presentation. five stars without question - and this is what I voted! I am deeply impressed. only crit: well, the idea - I mean it's diablo for the diablo contest... see?

Best Regards
and good luck for your category
--Espen

Gadric
09-18-2006, 12:21 AM
holy shit! That's Diablo 3! :thumbsup:

nothing else to say.

dpizzle
09-18-2006, 04:02 AM
looks awesome dude
love the pose, and great work with the normal map

nibbuls
09-18-2006, 04:30 AM
Tell me how you like the job at Blizzard. :D

My favorite game asset...by far. The attention to detail is astounding. 5*!

(Mine wouldn't submit, either.)

scorpion007
09-18-2006, 05:59 AM
wow! amazing piece. By far the best i've seen so far. Lol, you hit 5000 tri's exactly.

mindrot
09-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Supurb work arshlevon!!

Love the simplicity of this. Lovely and clean textures.

Best of luck with the comp. I really can't wait to see the results of this competition :twisted:

Now post this in the finished gallery.

~M~

kakikukeko
09-18-2006, 09:20 AM
nothing to criticize.. very good work..
(ok if I have one thing to say, I don't really like the glow in the eyes.. not additive enough to me.. ;) )
good luck!

Extase
09-18-2006, 03:05 PM
wow really great work!!! the pose looks kinda peacefull to me though

MindTraveler
09-18-2006, 03:19 PM
So bad ass that it hurts. -Mind Traveler

ChAoS_O
09-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Great Model and Textures, but i dont really like the lighting, i think its not dramatic enough ;)
Oh, and maybe it would be nice if he could open his mouth.
Maybe this helps to make him the best diablo on the World erm... Hell.

arshlevon
09-18-2006, 05:25 PM
thanks everyone for the comments and the stars!
kakikukeko, i totally agree about the eyes, a frined of mine did a paintover and they looked so cool, unfortuanatly it was after i submitted :(

the pose is hit or miss, some people like it, some dont. i wasnt trying to make him in a evil pose, i wanted a dynamic pose that was compositionally balanced. Latley i have been really going back to masters for this stuff, really been big on michelangelo latley.

I went back and forth with lighting a few times before i submitted. At first i had some really strong underlights that were orange and it looked evil as hell, but the low poly category of the contest seemed more for 3d model and texture skills, not composition or lighting, and while i wanted strong compostional elements i also wanted all the work i did in the textures and normal to be fully visible. What makes dramatic lighting so dramatic is usually contrast, and very saturated lights, both of wich would of obstructed areas of the model i really wanted to be seen. So i went with more equally lit piece so nothing was obstructed with shadows or colored lighting. but it was somthing i totally considered and thought about.

oh and i would of LOVED to model the mouth, unfortuanly with the 5000 poly limit i would of had to sacrifice the silhouette for the mouth and it was somthing i felt wasent a fair trade, the coolness i would of got from the mouth would not of been as cool as having all the spiky bits on in the silhouette.

smurfbizkit2
09-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Very well done. I do have to agree that the normal mapped render looks better than the fully beauty shot. Not that your texture is bad, it is quite good...the problem is with the render itself. The bone particularly scream "i'm too shiny!", and it really doesn't look very realistic.

veteehrri
09-19-2006, 12:41 AM
i love it. awesome job.

erilaz
09-19-2006, 01:46 AM
arshlevon, you should submit this to the finished works gallery, it's damn impressive.

geron
09-19-2006, 10:35 AM
can't see . could u upload it to another place pls ?

WHW
09-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Sweet work Arshlevon! Haven't seen any stuff from you in a while (though that could be my infrequent visits to CGTalk - I tend to poke around on ZBrush Central these days).

Love the character design and the final model... Some solid work there. I'm a little unsure about the bone sticking out of the thigh area, but that's a VERY minor niggle.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2006, 11:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.