PDA

View Full Version : Do Lightwave and Combustion Work Together?

chrisWhite
01-30-2003, 05:51 AM
Do Lightwave and Combustion Work Together?

I have Lightwave and Iím looking into getting some Compositing software, how does Combustion work with Lightwave, especially with things like the depth tools. I know itís more of a 3D Studio Max friendly program, but can it import Lightwaveís RPF files with all the meta data useable. I saw a Lightwave presentation where they used Digital Fusion to add things like Fog, DOF and other such effects, I really canít afford Digital Fusion and Iím heard Combustion is awesome, I hope I can use it.

GrantKay
01-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Hi,

the integration you saw with digital fusion is based on the file format from lightwave... such as RLA and RPFs

The integration you saw is entirely dependant on the file format not the programme.

Combustion was actually the first programme to support these files in their entirety so the answer to your question is yes. You can do 3D depth of field, fog etc in combustion.

There is additional integration with max such as using combustion for materials and as a paint tool. However the format integration is what you are after and that works...

Regards
Grant

Discreet UK

chrisWhite
01-30-2003, 07:43 PM
Thanks for your help, I had been told the Discreet was the makers of the RPF, but I have also been told that 3D Studio Max writes those files slightly differently and Combustion only likes files written that way. That's why I wanted to check it out before I buy. I did see that there was a Maya script that fixes this, so maybe it just doesn't like Maya?

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.