PDA

View Full Version : New Character Animation Reel

andrewhunt
09-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Hello,
I have recently updated my website and would greatly appreciate some feedback from you guys. www.andrew-hunt.com (http://www.andrew-hunt.com)thanks

Right click here to save the showreel http://www.andrew-hunt.com/movies/showreel2006.mpg

key_framer
09-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Hey Andrew,
I'm trying to watch your animations, but using Mozilla Firefox, I need a plugin and I'm not sure which one. Can you tell me what plugin I need?

Thanks-Tim

andrewhunt
09-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Hello, yes I have cinepak compressor on the files. And they are in avi format.
Other than that there shouldn't be a problem. I'll look into it further.
Thanks for your comment

key_framer
09-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Hey again,
Yeah, I'm not sure why I can't see it either. It looks like your avi's are embedded and when I click on your links, they open a page that looks for a plugin (It looks like the page you want us to see, but where the avi would be there is a button that tells me to "install additional plugins) that I don't seem to have installed. When I click on the "install additional plugins" button it can't find the one that you're using. Hope that helps...

I just updated Firefox recently to the latest version (1.5.0.7). Not sure if that makes any difference...
-Tim

PureMoxi
09-17-2006, 11:31 PM
I can see your site just fine. I am using internet explorer and the files (avi compressed with cinepak..I think as you stated) show up in an imbedded windows media player.

It does take a bit of waiting for it to load (and without any progress indicator, this takes patience...may also be my connection, however.)

Might want to offer file downloads or other formats of your work (quicktime, mpeg, etc.) so that more people can see it without worrying about if they have a plugin or not.

cheers...

NickWhitmire
09-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Hey...nice work. I really like the reel alot. You've got some serious talent. I thought everything fit really well together...maybe a bit long...but for the most part everything looked great. Good stuff.

-n

andrewhunt
09-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Hello,
Sorry for the inconvenience to the firefox users.
I have now updated the site so it's now compatible with firefox.
So again I would really appreciate any kind of critique from any of you guys.

Thanks for your encouragement mayazeus

And PureMoxi I will set up a save as function soon.
Thanks for you suggestion.

CoolCalb
09-18-2006, 01:27 PM
hey man, you are extremely talented, and you got a fantastic reel,
but your site is cr@@p (http://forums.cgsociety.org/cr@@p) :)

I would seriously think to upload it to youtube or something similar, and make a "save as" option
with a quicktime and/or mpeg version...

I tried watching your reel, my IE got stuck and frozen, I tried closing IE down, but it was
stuck, I got pissed.. went to watch some television, came back an hour later, and was surprised to see it finally unfrozen, and the reel running.

as I said before, you miss a huge amount of viewers this way.. and its pitty, cause your
reel is really GREAT !

Goodluck! :)

key_framer
09-18-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey Andrew,
Thanks for fixing your site man! It was definitely worth the time on my part to visit it a few times. You're a very solid animator! If I was to say anything about your style, I'd say that at times it looks like you over animate a bit. This is mainly seen in your animations that have multiple characters in. One way to clear things up a bit would be to tone down the movements on the character that isn't talking. Right now, your "secondary" characters have a lot of motion going on in them and therefore takes my eye away from the main focal point of the scene. I hope that makes some sense... But, you make your motions look believeable and so the "over acting" seems to work for you most of the time.

I work with Jason Baskin and I'll be sure to point him in the direction of your "Bloke" animation. I'm sure he'll be impressed!

Great work! I will keep an eye out for more work from you.
-Tim
www.timoberlander.com (http://www.timoberlander.com) ( I see that you are a fan of "free" characters. In my download section, I have a character for download. I plan on adding more...so keep an eye out)

PentamiterBeast
09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
thats bloody, bloody good work.

Do a better compression job on it, get a decent link to it, and that deserves a big FP imho.

FaQ3D
09-19-2006, 01:39 AM
Andrew all your animations are really really well done! your animation style is awsome.

my only crit is about the "No Pleasure" animation. When the crazy guy says I take no pleasure and there is a little pause on the dialog, after that you did a very over exagerated action of the character just before on taking your life. The action doesnt "match" with the voice sound.

Well thats my only crit on my opinion.

FaQ3D
09-19-2006, 01:42 AM
I forgot to say that i couldnt stop laughing on the entire animation of Rock song... ooh mennn thats a very awesome animation, all the movements of this 2 guys, so funny...

Did you did entire animation without any motion capture??

andrewhunt
09-19-2006, 03:52 AM
Hey guys thanks for all the input.
I realise now that my site is a little slow at the moment. I'm looking into fixing it now.
Thanks for bringing that to my attention in an a nice subtle tone CoolCalb ha ha ha .
But I do appreciate the time you guys have taken to see my work.
And I do agree that I overanimate, sometimes less is more right??
And there is no mo-cap on my reel. All keyframed and used some referance footage for some.

Thanks again guys.

kevinw
09-19-2006, 03:56 AM
Hey Andrew,
I'd say that at times it looks like you over animate a bit. This is mainly seen in your animations that have multiple characters in. One way to clear things up a bit would be to tone down the movements on the character that isn't talking. Right now, your "secondary" characters have a lot of motion going on in them and therefore takes my eye away from the main focal point of the scene. I hope that makes some sense... But, you make your motions look believeable and so the "over acting" seems to work for you most of the time.
-Tim

I totally agree with Tim. I think toning down the more subtle dialogue pieces would help to get your point across better. Right now it doesn't feel like the character matches the tone of the voice. And that's pretty consistant throughout your reel... with the exception of the first clip. I thought that was great! Also, the two shots with theo and that beast were spot on, extremely well done, and very engaging.
Keep up the hard work!
-kEViN

AndrewChang
09-19-2006, 08:17 AM
I really enjoyed watching your reel. I have to agree with some of the other comments though that it does seem a little overacted at times, but I kind of attributed it to your style of animation. I think it was the "gopher" animation that made it seem that way the most to me. Your poses and expressions are very readable and there's actually not much else I can think of to critique. Great job and good luck!

cakeypigdog
09-19-2006, 09:31 AM
hey there welshy!!

jake here, been a long time since you left us . when you gonna come on back to blighty to visit us schlubs eh?

good to see you have been busy mate, excellent stuff as usual. love that beast chase round the corridors. you are a superb talent mate!

3dcga
09-20-2006, 03:13 AM
Awesome animations man :D Personally, I think you should make your site more accessible to others. Maybe provide links to your demoreel and other animations.

So for those having trouble viewing his reel, here is a direct link.

http://www.andrew-hunt.com/movies/showreel2006.mpg

Hope you dont mind, Andrew. :)

andrewhunt
09-20-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for your crits guys, I appreciate the time you have all given to look at my work .
Thannks for the link 3dcga, of course I don't mind.

Hey Jake good to hear from you. Hope things are still going well :buttrock:at Frd!!!

freakmoomin
09-21-2006, 05:32 PM
I totally agree with Tim. I think toning down the more subtle dialogue pieces would help to get your point across better. Right now it doesn't feel like the character matches the tone of the voice. And that's pretty consistant throughout your reel... with the exception of the first clip. I thought that was great! Also, the two shots with theo and that beast were spot on, extremely well done, and very engaging.
Keep up the hard work!
-kEViN

100% agree with these guys, a lot of your chars just seem to have ants in their pants, they dont pause or stay still for any amount of time. They are just constantly moving and gestures being thrown here there and everywhere, i found it a little hard to concentrate with all the movement. As someone mentioned before especially have your secondary character not doing so much it really is hard to focus on the 'main action'.

dont get me wrong tho! solid reel. looks good.

Squash-n-Stretch
09-21-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with this lot. This was pure pure animation, I love it; some of the best I have ever seen on here. 4 stars from me. Welcome to the forum, and I hope to see more of your work real soon.

Gehof
09-22-2006, 02:21 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with this lot. This was pure pure animation, I love it; some of the best I have ever seen on here. 4 stars from me. Welcome to the forum, and I hope to see more of your work real soon.

QFA.

This was some really outstanding stuff. Especially the shots with the man and the monster; everything was about as close to perfect as I'd care to see it. Awesome work.

baofengming
09-22-2006, 01:53 PM
HI,man,I really like your reel,especially like the part of the black monster wants to catch the big head boy,that part is really cool.Very nice movement and overlap.And the black skirt girl is nice as well.I think some great company should hire you and give you more chance to create more wonderful works.

eowyn_deng
09-23-2006, 04:00 AM
you are very popular in here, because you did a incredible work, I like it too. Hope you have more wonderful works which can give me to learn.

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.