PDA

View Full Version : More GI tests

Martin Kay
09-17-2006, 12:56 PM
More GI tests on my site. EI is roughly 1.8x faster than c4d for a comparable set up.
If I've got it right, EI doesn't support dual core for rendering stills? Pity, cause it would be even faster...

http://www.martinkay-3d.com/Global_illumin_index.html

Martin K

PaulS2
09-17-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm really enjoying your tests and posted examples - I especially like your abstract "Pots" at the end of the page.

Good looks and ease of use is definitely there. The caustics look fantastic too and are just as easy to set up.

Paul

Martin Kay
09-17-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm really enjoying your tests and posted examples - I especially like your abstract "Pots" at the end of the page.

Good looks and ease of use is definitely there. The caustics look fantastic too and are just as easy to set up.

Paul

Gee, thanks, its a lot of fun working with it. The manual said not to use luminance as a light source too much, but I'm glad I tried it as its the only thing close to an 'area' light. Lots more ideas to try out. I like the look of Paralumino caustic shader- might get that. So much to try out I'm not getting much work done...

Martin K

Reuben5150
09-17-2006, 07:12 PM
If I've got it right, EI doesn't support dual core for rendering stills? Pity, cause it would be even faster...

Martin K

Dual core and Hyper-threading does work although you need to use Renderama and split the image into strips (1 strip per thread), its under network render settings.

The problem is a lot of times one camera will finish rendering before another leaving "wasted" CPU time, but yeah it does work.

Reuben

Reuben5150
09-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Gee, thanks, its a lot of fun working with it. The manual said not to use luminance as a light source too much, but I'm glad I tried it as its the only thing close to an 'area' light. Lots more ideas to try out. I like the look of Paralumino caustic shader- might get that. So much to try out I'm not getting much work done...

Martin K

Using geometry with luminance its not a very efficient way to light the scene and it don't work that well IMO, this is the reason Igors created the Lightplane shader and its a much better solution for area lights and interior lighting, it can seem pretty slow to render but if you look at some of the work Tomas Egger has done with this shader you'll see the results can be excellent.

Reuben

Martin Kay
09-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Dual core and Hyper-threading does work although you need to use Renderama and split the image into strips (1 strip per thread), its under network render settings.

The problem is a lot of times one camera will finish rendering before another leaving "wasted" CPU time, but yeah it does work.

Reuben

I suppose its not worth messing with unless you have a real long render.

Martin K

Martin Kay
09-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Paul, I know you are immersed in guitar playing these days, but talking about EIM (which we weren't) have you tried the demo of 3D Concepts? This is an amazing bit of gear. Very similar to the capability of EIM and definitely very non Rhino. There's also a beta just out of the latest 3D Concepts Unlimited.

Martin K

PaulS2
09-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Paul, I know you are immersed in guitar playing these days, but talking about EIM (which we weren't) have you tried the demo of 3D Concepts? This is an amazing bit of gear. Very similar to the capability of EIM and definitely very non Rhino. There's also a beta just out of the latest 3D Concepts Unlimited.

Martin K

Yes, guitars and music are a large part of my life. Music, actually is my first love...back when I was 13 I started playing drums. Tough way to make a living though.

I tried Concepts a couple of years ago and wasn't too inspired. It looked good but would have required a whole relearning. At this point Rhino and EIM are more than enough...I also received the beta invitation.

My free time is being spent playing with and trying out a new pluggin....which is just too cool!! I get lost in it for hours at a time trying different forms and options. It's very, very unique and produces geometry which would be very difficult any other way. It's like a one button 'make art' pluggin....but everyone will look different as there is such a variation of form which can be created with it. First piece of 3D I have been excited over in a long time......It is very uniquel!

Paul

manuel
09-19-2006, 03:20 PM
My free time is being spent playing with and trying out a new pluggin....which is just too cool!! I get lost in it for hours at a time trying different forms and options. It's very, very unique and produces geometry which would be very difficult any other way. It's like a one button 'make art' pluggin....but everyone will look different as there is such a variation of form which can be created with it. First piece of 3D I have been excited over in a long time......It is very uniquel!
Is this a plug-in for EIAS?

tjs61822
09-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Paul, is this another new Paralumino plugin? Their other geometry plugins are great.

Tim

Vizfizz
09-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Maaaaaayyybe

Martin Kay
09-19-2006, 10:18 PM

Paul

I can't think what that is.

Martin K

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2006, 10:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.