PDA

View Full Version : Futuristic Bunker

Legopirate
09-17-2006, 12:54 PM
http://www.stag-nation.net/tmp/bunker_web.jpg

Low poly project I just finished. I'm pretty happy with how it turned,
It would be great to hear your opinions on it though.

Here is the wireframe :0

http://www.stag-nation.net/tmp/bunkerwire_web.jpg

thoughtlesswhisper
09-17-2006, 01:08 PM
im not the best person to give crits, and you may even consider this irrelevant, but the very first thing i noticed, is how that gun on the back wall is perfectly horizontal.

it just scream fake. have the barrel angled downwards slightly and have the top of the gun angled towards the wall more. Maybe model 2 simple brackets for it to rest on, or try and paint it into the textures somehow.

Legopirate
09-17-2006, 01:35 PM
hrmm if you look at the wireframe you can see there are two little notches that the gun is resting on, one at the stalk, and the other one is infront of the mag (but it is harder to see :(.)

It's nice to have a fresh perspective on the work, looking at it now after you mention that, I could have definatly made that more clear. Thank you for your input :D

thoughtlesswhisper
09-17-2006, 02:23 PM
hrmm if you look at the wireframe you can see there are two little notches that the gun is resting on, one at the stalk, and the other one is infront of the mag (but it is harder to see :(.)

It's nice to have a fresh perspective on the work, looking at it now after you mention that, I could have definatly made that more clear. Thank you for your input :D

If you already have brackets there, then please angle the gun more. I guarantee that in life it would never be so straight. Even if it would, then it would make it look realistic by making it look like someone put it on the stand wrong. You know what i mean? anyway yea. good stuff.

frostee
09-17-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm pretty happy with how it turned

and so you shuold be, it looks fantastic, good job!
only cirt i have is the lighting, it looks like its being lit by the lights on the inside but they dont look like they are turned on, no other comments apart from that. Any idea how much time you spent on it in total? modelling time, texturing time etc...

Gamedev
09-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Its looking good but there are a few things. The first is your light source or lack there of. The lighting is nice however I can't see the outside lighting the bunker the way it is. Simple bulbs with a wire cage or something similar would do the trick on the ceiling (EDIT - the current light fixtures are a bit out of place). A different light color would be nice too - a slight yellow tint. As well, I think the outside environment color is a bit off or could be adjusted to really make the image. Maybe a night time shot with glows from bombs or shells dropping. The orange is just kinda boring.

Lastly, the ladder down throws me - are we in a bunker or scout tower? If its a bunker I would think a ladder up to a 'man hole' or even just a heavy door. Just a thought.

Legopirate
09-18-2006, 07:26 AM
I have no idea how to light well in maya :{
I wanted to do alot more with the lighting but it wasn't my main focus.

Total time was about 12 hours

2 Hours to model everything.
8 Hours of Uving and Texturing.
and about 2 hours of playing with lights and renders in Maya.

Also for the ladder i was thinking of underground tunnels that the troops would travel in.
We all know walking out the front door, or climbing out on a roof makes you easy sniper bait :) so that was my thinking behind that. also the sign above the ladder says "Caution! Do not play on or Around"

Thank you again for your crit, I think my next scene will be alot better based off the feed back you have been giving me.

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2006, 07:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.