PDA

View Full Version : thermo-electric cooling?

kwshipman
01-30-2003, 02:01 AM
Have you guys heard of this, sound cool but I am unsure of how effective it truely is.

Thermaltake "Thermo-electric cooling" (http://www.thermaltake.com/products/subzero/subzero4g.htm#k7)

Chris
01-30-2003, 02:15 AM
Ha ha, 'Sounds Cool' :beer:

Thats exactly what I've been looking for! Thanks for the link!

kwshipman
01-30-2003, 02:19 AM
hey if you get one let us know what its like

elvis
01-30-2003, 02:25 AM
oh dear...

nothing scares me more than beginner tweakers investigating TEC cooling.

peltier elements (as they're commonly known) create a temperature difference between their two plates. if you do not have adequate cooling on the hot plate, then the "cold" plate won't work.

typically, a TEC with a heatisnk on the top is pretty innefective, especially if your cpu gets quite hot. also, if for some reason the TEC dies, you end up with an extremely hot CPU in a matter of seconds. you need all sorts of safety cut-out switching to ensure your system shuts down it time.

you'll find the majority of peltier users will team a peltier up with a watercooling system to try and get temperatures below zero degrees celcius. the obvious disadvantage there is frost builds up over your CPU. this isn't so bad (as pure ice is non-conductive) until of course it starts to melt, combines with impurities and becomes conductive. also it takes a heck of a lot of power to push one of these setups, so expect your system costs and power bill to rise sharply.

long story short: make sure you read up on peltier and TEC cooling before you decide to jump head first into it. check out your local overclocking websites for hints and tips on minimising the errors that can occur when deciding on what units to buy, the power supplies they need to run, and most importantly how NOT to destroy your entire system with an idea that sounded good at the time.

Chris
01-30-2003, 02:36 AM
but it looks so cool!

one of the fans has blue leds!

I just likes the idea of having all my case fans automatically adjusting speed.. :shrug:

kwshipman
01-30-2003, 02:38 AM
okay that being said, this is not for me. (I am looking for as much stability/reliability with the minamal amout of effort) This is why I always ask here before I buy something that "looks cool".

Guess I will just get their new Xaser III case, That is one sweet case!

singularity2006
01-30-2003, 03:30 AM
just get a lot of fans w/ a lot of bloooo LED's like me. Peltiers are too risky for me to use.....

Bradf0rd010
01-30-2003, 01:20 PM
elvis, no offence, but did you actually check the link?

We've had our eye on this since we spotted the work by the original Israeli developer (not that the idea hasn't been in the public domain for a while). Now that Thermaltake have picked it up for distribution, we will be testing one soon.

How it works is this.

It doesn't work like a normal TEC setup in that it doesn't go below ambient (ie it doesn't freeze). It's no more difficult to install than a normal HSF and a PCI device.

The PCI device acts as a power input which powers the TEC, the HSF (and it looks like you have the option of running case fans of it as well). Hooked up to the PCI device is a temperature sensor. This regulates the TEC so the hotter the CPU gets the harder the TEC works, keeping the temps as close to ambient as possible (also leading to quieter cooling at lower temps). The regulation means that if the TEC fails, the machine shuts down.
As for your electricity bills shooting up, it's no different than running a second computer (a small one at that).

The thing is designed to be used by a complete novice.

GregHess
01-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Hey kwshipman, [Edit oops hehe]

Thanks for the link, very cool stuff!

elvis
01-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Bradf0rd010
The thing is designed to be used by a complete novice.

old saying:

"make something idiot proof, and they'll make a better idiot".

i'll stand by my (admittedly biased) opinions: anything more advanced than a heatsink and a fan is not designed for the unwashed masses. tweakers only, thank you very much.

elvis
01-30-2003, 10:24 PM
on a similar topic, however, thermaltake are also makeing "simple" watercooling kits. here's their latest one reviewed by OCAU:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=135720

Bradf0rd010
01-30-2003, 10:51 PM
lol, yea I heard that one before elvis.

I think TT are in a bit of a grey area with this one. Are the people who are going to spend the sort of cash on cooling that this thing will cost the sort of people who buy off the shelf solutions? I doubt it.

Maybe they can find a market in the l337 crowd. :shrug:

GregHess
01-31-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm really surprised we haven't seen retail systems using an external fan duct system yet.

From most reviews and mods, adding an external duct directly over the cpu fan seems to really help temps...like a riced up honda civic with a cold air intake :).

See lots of internal ducts on the dells though...

off topic...

After reading about the TT stuff, I found my old PII450 runnings a step-thermodynamics (company went down the crapper) dual peltier unit. Chip cost 700 USD, plus another 75 for the cooling. (I was insane)...but it did run at 550 megahertz...:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.