PDA

View Full Version : Acting Challenge #1: Deadline 9/30/06

dudeacle
09-16-2006, 05:59 PM
This is the first Acting Challenge :scream:

The topic is "Child gets a new toy"

This is a two week deadline which should give everyone enough time, being the first of these challenges.

Remember that having a scene and props is not necessary. You probaly dont have enough time to model anything (i know i wont :) )

Have fun!!!

Junerahe
09-17-2006, 03:59 AM
How long does the animation have to be?

dudeacle
09-17-2006, 04:52 AM
There are no time limits for theses challenges. How ever long you feel you need to get your idea across. Remember you have two weeks and for some that might not be alot but for others it may be plenty of time.

SAN-X
09-18-2006, 08:02 AM
**** hmmm... could smb explane me how to delete this needless post? ****

SAN-X
09-18-2006, 08:04 AM
MAIN CHALLENGE POST
------------------------

9/18/2006
:bounce:
Yeah!
I'm in!
Updates are coming soon!

9/27/2006
very late start, but doesnt matter )

I decided not to use smb's model and create it myself...

1. rough model (max+zbrush+max again, about 1.5 hrs)
http://san-x.nextmail.ru/graphics/challenges/cgtalk.com/animation/child_gets_a_new_toy/child.jpg

2. rough rigging (about 3 hrs... but its bad so far...)
Thats a lot of bugs, especially at underarm and at the neck, but i havent any more time to fix it... so let it be -))

here is a test basic pose

http://san-x.nextmail.ru/graphics/challenges/cgtalk.com/animation/child_gets_a_new_toy/child-pose.jpg
if we'll change the deadline and i'll have some time - I'll probably return to the rigging and will fix it...

The next is:
- rough toy
- rought scene
- and (finelly!) animation

10/01/2006
Damn! Absolutely have no time!
Anyway thats what i have today:
http://san-x.nextmail.ru/graphics/challenges/cgtalk.com/animation/child_gets_a_new_toy/cgnt_80preview.avi

thats not a final animation, just a draft...
if we'll change the deadline - I'll finish this work... i hope -))

dudeacle
09-19-2006, 06:08 AM
Hi everyone, here is my progress...

These are all the keys (except for breakdowns). Keys 5 and 6 are a little dance move, i am going to add more keys to this. It is late and i dont feel like doing it now :rolleyes:

All of your critiques are welcome.

~Matt

EDIT: I added breakdowns and changes to the keyframes.http://www.geocities.com/matt2morrow/CGSociety/MiniChallengeAnimatioin/KeyLayout3.jpg

Vood
09-20-2006, 08:03 PM
I know the Generi face is a little hard to animate with, when you want specific facial expressions :p ... but in keys 3 through 6 he looks a little bit evil :)

i'd say it's in his eyebrows, but that's probably difficult to change because of Generi's big fat brow that will change his expression based on camera angle heheh :p

i'm getting a late start but i'll post my progress soon! :D

EDIT: I love what you did with the mouth though! nice!

dudeacle
09-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the crit Vood. I am having difficulty with Generi coming off evil. I think your right about it being in the eyebrows or i should say unibrow. He actualy looks good with the unibrow set to normal most of the time. I am going to add an animatic of the animation later today, let me know if he still looks evil :)

EDIT: Its also a thin line between a controlled exhuberent smile and a dasterdly evil smile. Let me know if you think of reference for the two.

blurgh
09-25-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey guys !

>.< Ive barely had a cnahce to start mine, re-enrlling at college and stuff :( hopefully ill get it done tho :)

Hey Dudeacle ! i really liek the Keyframes of the hands that youve got.. cant wait to see some movement :)

-Darken

Juancheitor
09-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Hi there,
I will have a go even though I start with only a week.
My key poses, I wanted to make a baby, although some poses were impossible for this rig, very long body and very short arms and legs.
C&C very welcome.

http://www.arrakis.es/%7Emapfre_918507345/keyframes.jpg

blurgh
09-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Hello again guys !

ive started keying some stuff out my self not done all yet will post whn i have !

Hey Juancheitor, yeah i see what you mean with the rig limitations.. or tho it does have quite a child like gormless expression ! :p

But im not sure what kind of toy is it hes reacting with ? heh my eyesight is pretty bad !

I think your last 2 or 3 keyrames are really nice poses cant wait to see this !

-Darken

dudeacle
09-26-2006, 01:36 AM
Juancheitor i really like your keys so far. From what i can tell a baby is given a toy, tries to eat it, tastes bad, smacks it on the ground, then finds his foot more amusing. Do i see it correctly? I like the big movement the baby does when he throws the toy on the ground. Babies use over exaggheration.

Vood
09-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Juan your keys make me laugh!! :)

so far my progress is only some reference footage i shot of myself acting out what i want the kid to do. work is taking up my time! :hmm: but i'm scheduling in certain time each night for animating heheh... i'm gonna go for like an 8 year old kid... using Generi heh, so hopefully i can make him look non-evil too :)

great work guys!! hopefully we can all meet the deadline hahahah.

EDIT: i was just thinking it might help to use Generi's eye controls to reduce his evil factor ... namely the one that tilts his eyelids outward or inward... maybe tilting them outward (outside corners come down, inside corners come up, almost like a 'sad' expression) ...

actually let me demonstrate ...

http://www.davidjmurphy.net/animation/generi01.jpg

in the left image, eyes are banked inward, and on the right they are banked outward.

SAN-X
09-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey, nice start everyone!
But I'm not sure that anybody have a time to complete his work to 9/30/06...
So maybe we should prolong it?

Anyway, thats my progress.
(I've placed it at my main challenge post, according the rules we passed)

blurgh
09-26-2006, 11:58 PM
hello again guys ive nearly finished my keys, I been so busy this week :'(

Thanks for the tip Vood, tbh i always find genri looks pretty goofy.. i wish the lowmax rig was available for maya.. he looks so much cooler than the maya one :) but beggers cant be choosers i guess :D

im using Hogan my self... not that he looks at all child like buuuut we will just overlook that one ;)

Um I would be up for prolonging... however only for this challenge I think its important we make a firm deadline as a general thing and try not to set a presedent of moving the goalposts :)

I like your character San-X has it got cloth on it ? or is it just modelled?

but any way back to finish my keys ^^

blurgh
09-27-2006, 02:18 AM
Rightio

have my basic keys.... the timming is er.. well WAY off ! and theres no face stuff done yet *man im bieng slow with this* but i thought i should put up some progress ! lol.
Looki lookie (http://www.gimbal-lock.net/cgtalkchallengeblockin1.avi)

To avoid confusion the truck toy is rolled on and hits his foot (its not so obvious with the steped key mode :) and at then end its rolled at the camera and bounces off it

cheers guys

-Darken

SAN-X
09-27-2006, 07:52 AM
2Darken-R
heh, nice -)))
i just cant understand the last key - why he hangs his head down?

about my character - its just modelled
i thought about using a cloth to hide the rigging bugs, but with my PC it will take too much time...

blurgh
09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
heh tbh not all that sure my self ! :D

it may be cos hes falling over and thats just part of it, or maybe cos hes upset
not all that sure yet :/

hopefully i can get my timming all sorted today...

-Darken

Vood
09-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Darken, looked to me like you were going for that "baby with no muscles yet" effect heheh... it looks really bizarre with that rig but ... we're not modelers are we :p

good start! :thumbsup:

hopefully i can get a slew of keys done tonight myself :hmm:

dudeacle
09-27-2006, 06:03 PM
SAN-X nice model! I really like it, and dont worry about the skinning issues if thats the worst or your rigging worries. Now key like the wind!!

blurgh
09-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Heh yeh thats roughly wat im going for Vood. :)
or tho its getting late now... and i havnt had time to do much today.. so i think i am outta the race if the deadline is still the 9th but im gonna finish mine anyway !

I will definatly take part in the next tho !

*cheers on the others*

-Darken

Vood
09-29-2006, 03:17 PM
so .. yeah ... the deadline is tomorrow and all i've done so far is

a) shoot reference footage
b) storyboard the main keys on paper
c) arrange the *first* key pose in maya

hahahahahahah

.. oh well ... i'll do what i can tonight and tomorrow (if anything. stupid friends and their birthday parties. :rolleyes: hehe jk) and post what i have, i suppose... but i'm totally gonna finish mine also.

is anyone else close to being done? as in like, ready tomorrow?

man i really need to get on the ball right away next time.

SAN-X
10-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Hehe -))))
it seems like we all need an additional time... isn't it? -)))
i definitely dont want to be a single finalist -))))

i posted an update in my post (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=3863800&postcount=5), but thats very very rough, and very far from final version...

blurgh
10-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Hey SanX i couldnt get your link to work :/

could be my laptop playing up tho ! :)

-Darken

dudeacle
10-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Everyone competing needs to turn in their animations today. Drop your animation in the new thread...
"Final Animations for Acting Challenge #1".

Good luck everyone!

SanX your animation looks good. You may not feel its finnished but its only fair to stay with the deadline. You chose to model and rig and it looks good, but the point of these challenges is to practice animating. These challenges focus on acting and movement not on short movies. A Playblast is as far as you need to get with these. If i were you i would finnish the animation and start another challenge when you finnish the first one.

SAN-X
10-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Hey SanX i couldnt get your link to work :/

could be my laptop playing up tho ! :)

-Darkenthats not a direct link, it brings you to a download gate, where you should click the "cgnt_80preview.avi"... not the best way, but thats the only way i have with this hosting -)

blurgh
10-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Ah yes im on it !

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2006, 08:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.