PDA

View Full Version : New Modeling Reel (Sep 06), New Site

Sparty
09-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone,
My site was just re-designed and I also just uploaded my new modeling reel. Please check it out and let me know what ya thing. C&C is very welcome.

Quicktime <36 mbs>
http://www.ericprovan.com/reel_sep.mov

http://www.ericprovan.com/pictures/3d/Newreel0234.jpg

Sparty
09-18-2006, 04:28 PM
I made a few more changes and re-uploaded the reel. Its still around 36mb's and im still looking for any kind of feedback, thanks!

NyneDown
09-18-2006, 11:41 PM
Hey, what's up man? Love your models....I remember looking at your last reel not too long ago (damn you work fast.) You've got a nice style and great sense of anatomy. Your character choices are unique too, they're not so trendy and are very "fresh." These models would look really pimp with some textures....great job man, keep up the good work ;)

mantella
09-19-2006, 04:32 AM
you got some skillz, bro! Whazzup Provalone? Haven't heard from you in a while. Looks like you've been busy!

I have to disagree a bit with NyneDown (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=206771). I think if you're going for a modeling career, you should focus on the models. Clean renders with some ambient occlusion on the models and nice lighting. Forget the textures for now. The zbrush "texturing" you did to a few of them works though.

I also like what you did with the reel overall. Showing the two views is cool and adding that small amount of animation adds some life to the characters. I would personally do without the textured background too. It kind of distracts from the models.

Okay, a few more super-specific things:

- I'd get rid of the elephant head close-up (but keep the whole model shot)
- I'd add in the civil war guy and babe ruth because they show you can do realistic models too.
- I also like bigman and medusa from your site
- there is no frame around the cowboy dude inset

Later,
Adam

Sparty
09-20-2006, 03:58 PM
NyneDown: Thanks for checking out the reel!

mantella: Great advice. Already working on some of those changes =)

Still looking for feedback...

AsaMovshovitz
09-20-2006, 04:10 PM
nice looking reel:) realy liked the blendshpes morphing thing, works realy well

good luck with the reel,

Cheers,

Asa

SergeAstahov
09-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey great reel, my best render is "Intrigued", parrot especially. The blendshapes were really nicely done. I agree about adding the civil war guy, definately worth a place in your reel. But on the other hand i'm a little confused about the mesh spider. I'd get rid of two bases and put one instead coz it's kind of looking like they're part of the legs, which i think they're not. And again maybe it's just me but i'd put him in some kind of a pose, just to make the legs a bit different. Great reel overall.

Sparty
09-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Asa: Thanks, Yeah, the blendshapes were fun to make =)

Eye of Hawk: Thanks fot the feedback. Im definitely going to be adding the civil war character back on the reel.
Thanks

WillJohn
09-21-2006, 06:28 PM
This reel sucks.

Oh wait, OOHHHH This is your reel.. nm.. This one kicks ass :)

mediaramas
09-21-2006, 06:53 PM
wow!! awesome! I cant believe you did all those different blendshapes with the same mesh!

GoGoMango
09-22-2006, 06:34 AM
I dig your style dude.

AndrewHwang
09-23-2006, 04:57 AM
great new stuff man, i still remember your first reel from graduation, and i must say you have come a very long way, loved the transformations alot :)

AndrewChang
09-23-2006, 05:40 AM
Wow that was a very impressive reel. I really liked the blend shape/disp. map stuff and your variety of styles. It seems you can do anything from toon stuff to hyper realism, awesome!

cok3
09-23-2006, 05:48 AM
hey sparty awesome stuff. I love the detail you put into a lot of these models. great music too, mind telling me who the artist is?

Sparty
09-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Im happy to see this thread pick up a little steam. I've gotten some great ideas for my next reel. I try to keep it updated quarterly.

Willjohn: Thanks =)

MediaRames: Thanks. Yeah, the blendshapes were'nt easy. I had to make sure the edgeloops were very forgiving.

GoGoMango: Thats all I ask =)

AndrewHwang: Yeah man, I think you were just a month or two behind me? Loving your work as well.

AndrewChang: Thanks Andrew. Yeah, I do my best to cover every style, though I think its pretty evident that I really enjoy stylized characters the most. Orlando eh? I was born and raised in Daytona Beach. That meant a lot of summer trips to Orlando to get a picture with the mouse =)

Cok3: Thanks dude. The music is Sublime. I have always giving them credit in the reel in the past, but for some reason it escaped this time.

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2006, 07:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.