PDA

View Full Version : how do i paint hair texture for use on hair mesh?

kukukiki74
01-29-2003, 10:21 PM
I have a hair mesh in lightwave. I can create uv map. The problem is what is the best way to paint hair texture in photoshop? Please teach me!!!!!!!

dogz
01-31-2003, 07:31 PM
try painting your BASE HAIR COLOR THEN DARKEN THE COLOR AND JUST SCRIBBLE IT AROUND SO SOME IS BROWN AND DARK BROWN THEN ADD A NOISE FILTER..MAKE SURE ITS A MONOCROME NOISE...THEN ADD A MOTION BLUR FILTER AND ADJUST IT TO THE DIRECTION YOU WANT THE HAIR TO FLOW AND VOILA...YOU HAVE A HAIR TEXTURE...HOPE THIS HELPS:wavey:

Per-Anders
01-31-2003, 08:09 PM
another way that works very well and creates it's own alpha map if you're using version 7 is to draw a vertical line on a new layer, don't do it too accurately, but not too shabby either. then select the line, and go Edit->Define Brush.

go into teh brush settings and make the brush an airbrush stype and lower the flow setting, and add in a decent ammount of jitter, then paint away, it's very easy to then just paint in as many different hair textures as you want then with this brush.

then i don't know what lightwaves png support is like, but if you can export as png as this retains the alpha that's produced by the hair brush (make sure the background is switched off, so you jsut have the hair layer.

if it can't handle a premultiplied format like png, then you will need to generate your own alpha map, and you will need to solidify the hair to get rid of ghosting. there used to be a free filter called "MakeOpaque" might be by Flaming Pear. just apply that to the hair layer once you'ce alt (i think could be ctrl) clicked it to get the alpha, and you've transfrered that into either an alpha channel, or you've made a b&w layer and saved that off to another texture. if you cant find makeopque, just duplicate and merge the hair layer a few times till it gets nice and solid.

anyhow good luck :)

when you bring the texture into lightwave make the specular good and it should be fairly effective. remember it's up to the 3d app to provide the lighting on the texture. (i.e. don't put in lighting on teh texture map).

kukukiki74
01-31-2003, 09:48 PM
wow! thanks for detailed help. i reeeeeally appreciate it. I got to try it this weekend. Thanks.

:applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.