PDA

View Full Version : Advice on taking photoso for textures!

psychojohno
09-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi Iím looking to buy a digital camera mainly to be used for taking pictures to be used for textures. I have around £150 to spend and would like to know what sort of features are most important on cameras when taking pictures for textures. Aswell as what cameras you guys use:thumbsup:

As well as this i would people to post their tips for taking pictures for textures as well as any links to websites that deal with the issue.

Cheers guys

RuinedMessiah
09-15-2006, 03:24 PM
I use a Nikon 7600. Perhaps the main feature you'll be looking for is what they call Macro mode. Megapixels are supposedly important or so I keep hearing. Truth be told, mine is 7.1 and I have yet to use more that 10% of a photo for a texture just because of the size of them. 5.0 is fine enough for most purposes. Especially if it features a Macro mode.

Gamedev
09-15-2006, 03:51 PM
I would say the lense is quite important in the camera as well. Small cameras tend to have no room for nice lenses and this is aparent by there poor optical zoom. Look for somethig with atleast 5 mega pixels, more optical than digital zoom and you should be fine.

As for taking photos, I posted a .PDF article on my site about a month ago. 2nd post down the page, check it out.

Good luck!

euclidius
09-15-2006, 04:22 PM
ohh-- take pictures during an overcast sky-- so you won't have any hard shadows showing up on your images -- diffuse lighting-- for example when its about to rain , or on a foggy day.
well that's all I can say about it-- and visit cgtextures.com this site is an execelent example for texture guidlines you are looking for-- I'm guessing :thumbsup:

ChimpanG
09-15-2006, 04:24 PM
just a note: in my expirience ive come to find that the best time to take texture photos is when its overcast/cloudy but still bright that way there are no shadows or specular or anything on the surfaces.

psychojohno
09-16-2006, 07:11 AM
cheers for the replies. Im just wondering what is most important. The image quality or the optical zoom strength. Heres an example

I have cameras for around the same price but with very differnt specs.

A lot of cameras have around 8 or 6 megapixels and a 3x optical zoom

but i have seen another camera with 4 megapixels and a 10x optical zoom

What do you think?

Gamedev
09-16-2006, 07:43 AM
optical zoom hands down. Digital zoom attmempts to re-create your image at close up where optical zoom actually uses your lense. I find myself doing a lot of close up shots for texture and my 4 mega pixel gets me decent 2048x2048's.

JamesMK
09-16-2006, 09:03 AM
As far as zooming goes - yes, you definitely want optical but not digital.

I recently got a Canon Powershot A530, with 4X optical zoom, 5 Mpix, lots of automatic modes, but most importantly a fully manual mode too, and I'm VERY happy with it so far. It should be perfectly within your budget, as the equivalent of £150 was pretty much exactly what I paid for it here (Sweden).

Remember to save some cash for a massive memory card (though the SD cards are certainly not expensive).

Striff
09-16-2006, 09:23 AM
Optical zoom is the way to go, depending on the lens, if you can zoom in all the way on the texture, it will fix some of the barrel distortion.

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2006, 09:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.