PDA

View Full Version : Which dimension/proportion should be use ?

hholidayy
09-15-2006, 05:50 AM
Hi everyone,

Being totally new to 3D modeling I'm a bit confuse as to how much space (units) I should use when I start modeling. I'm using maya, what does one square on the grid represents exactly ? For example, if I'm modeling a pen with a length of 5 "squares", when I start modeling a car...should I use a length of 200 "squares". When modeling a person..etc... I just don't understand what those unit represent exactly when I start a project.

Thank you very much for your help,

Ray

McWolfe
09-15-2006, 06:58 AM
My take on this is that you can go with any scale, as long as you:

- are consistant within your scene. If you are doing a room 10 units wide, don't import/build a couch that is 200units wide (perhaps built with cm in mind)
- are using a "nice number-span". Don't build things that are 19374839 units big, or 0.00001 units small.
- are not using simulations of any kind. Since these model reality through mathematical formulas, correct scale must be used (including correct unit).
- Keep in mind that light decay, for instance, work on the unit, so if you are using a higher scale (a room is 120 units wide), the light will decay faster than on a smaller scale (room is 10 units wide).

/McW

Leionaaad
09-15-2006, 01:30 PM
In the menu at Display you have the Grid, and you have the Grid Settings. There you have the spacing of the grid.
In the Window/Settings Preferences/Preferences at the Settings tab you have the possibility to chose from different units (for distance you have Centimeters, Meters, inches, etc.) So This settings are defined in the scene and are in close conection. You can set the gridspace at every centimeter or at every 20 centimeters...it's up to your needs.
Unless you are dealing with things where these units are critical you don't need to care about this.
Situations where you do need propper Grid setting andpropper scales:
- Dynamic simulations (As pointed out)
- Modeling for a game engine (some builders allow you to scale the assets, though)
- whenever you export to other packages. Simply because it's better to have this issue covered from the start.

hholidayy
09-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Thank you very much for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2006, 01:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.