PDA

View Full Version : Tree Storm 6

arketype
09-15-2006, 12:59 AM
Is anyone using ONYX Tree storm for EIAS?
How is it? Is the texture mapping of leaves and bark supported by plugin?
How fast is it to render ?

Thanks....

bbuxton
09-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Works very well.
Textures are nicely UV'd.
Animated for wind.
Renders fast EIAS doesn't choke on the high poly counts.
Doesn't like renderama though.

Nice (static) exports to other apps to - native Lightwave Cinema 4D etc

BB

Martin Kay
09-15-2006, 06:25 AM
I used it quite a bit some years ago, obviously not Vs 6. The implementation is good and works more efficiently than the standard Tree Pro (I had both versions-Mac) Tree Storm's colouring of the various elements were all blended in and graduated, giving a more convincing effect than the standard Tree Pro, which were all solid block colours. The Onyx product gives the best quality trees in my opinion- better than those supplied via Xfrog, although Xfrog is a powerful utility for iterations.

Martin K

halfworld
09-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Treestorm is great, we use it regularly and I second everything that Brian said.

About rendering speed, that is never a problem... Now ram... There's a gotcha... More then 15-20 trees animating in the wind is gonna choke camera... don't even think about GI unless you export them as facts and reimport, then fake wind with some gentle deforms. Works a treat.

It is one of my favourites never the less.
Best,
Ian

arketype
09-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have an opportunity to do some exterior architectural renderings (something I have not done before), and I need a solution for adding trees to scenes.

Good to hear this works well. I am sure I will buy soon.

Any tips on grass modelling/ textures?

threedeworks
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
hi arketype

for grass, i always was very happy with fiberforge from konkeptoine. easy to setup, placement can be controlled very well by weight maps.

as for textures, have a look here:

free:
http://www.mayang.com/textures/Plants/html/Repetitive%20Plants%20Textures/index.html

good, but $$$/:
http://ambientlight.co.uk/ look for the grass stuff :)

cheers

markus

CGTalk Moderation
09-15-2006, 04:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.