PDA

View Full Version : Sticking with A:M?

pabitel
01-29-2003, 07:10 PM
As the dust settles, I'm interested in how many people plan to stick with A:M.

In spite of everything, I cast my vote in the affirmative.

P.S.: I intended for this thread to have a poll. If for some reason no poll is added, perhaps one of our friendly moderators can add it.

Drakkheim
01-29-2003, 07:54 PM
I'll be sticking with AM till the end of summer at least.
I've downgraded to 8.5, sure it may not be as fast or have all the features of v95 but I havent crashed in 2 days. Hopefully hash will have 10.5 out by july and I'll revisit the stability/usability issue of it then.. I figure 20 or so patches should make it usable. Especially in light of the rucus oh these forums, I sincerely hope that HASH will work extra hard on the glaring issues that have been brought to light, here.

-Drakkheim

Hookflash
01-29-2003, 08:12 PM
I'm moving on (probably to Realsoft3d). Realsoft3d trounces A:M in almost every area except animation. Plus, it's only $450 with a competitive upgrade from A:M. They have only 2 programmers, and yet the software is very stable and robust.

penguinpavilion
01-29-2003, 08:28 PM
Sticking it out, but not completely . . . I will continue to use AM for animation, but after having heard about it here I am starting to use Wings to do my modeling. I would likely have left AM altogether had it not been for this forum cropping up.

Skevos_Mavros
01-29-2003, 08:47 PM
I'm sticking with AM - not only do I like it a lot but I can't find the time to learn anything else! :)

I will check out Wings, but only because every one seems to be keen on it. But if it can't export perfect splines to AM, I won't bother with it.

Oh, and I really hope v10.5 beta is out well before July!

gra4mac
01-29-2003, 09:28 PM
I too will stick with A:M for now. I really want to see how the OSX version turns out. If it's anything like v9, I'll be moving on, probably to LW. In the mean time, I am trying Wings, and will also have a look at Blender.

Cheers, Graham

UserDelta
01-29-2003, 10:09 PM
the dust is settling but whether the beast has been tamed, only time will tell :)

Natess44
01-29-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm sticking with A:M too because I like the interface. But if A:M doesn't get any better by version 11 I'll move on.

HellBorn
01-29-2003, 10:31 PM
I will leave...for now...

Either I go for Cinema, Truespace, Realsoft, EIU or LightWave.

Or as I'm more into stills and as I have Poser and Vue I buy Mover then I can do some basic animation in Poser and render in Vue.

In case I don't go for the more expensive EIU or LightWave then I will give AM a chance when they release the 2004 CD. If it can use polygon models, the creases are gone, it render fast and god and it does not crash then I might very well come back.

johnathan
01-29-2003, 10:52 PM
i'm still using 8.5p+, and plan on following 10 closely, but i'm also going to get some hands on experience with other good alternatives.

-jon

Rangler
01-30-2003, 12:02 AM
I have hope.
Sticking with patches. Splines from day one has always felt as natural as using a pencil on paper. I'd like it to oneday be as cool as a paintbrush on canvas, but someone else is working on that approch. With all the guff, A:M may oneday support a portable file format that Zbrush and other apps can load and save.

I think Hash should include in it's list of features:

Most extensive video hardware/driver test software in the world.

:)

howardt
01-30-2003, 01:05 AM
I gave up. Unsubscribed from the list yesterday. Feels sad. Hash has been good to me. But I too couldn't get anything done in the bad "9" year, and kind of lost momentum to do anything.

From the very beginning, the creases bothered me, and I wanted to make a "smoothing" plugin. Never got around to it, but it does seem possible, so I would urge Hash to work on it themselves.

I do think Hash wants to make great software, but they've got to understand the frustration of users in dealing with (1) crashes and (2) creases.

- Howard

artfan1
01-30-2003, 01:53 AM
I cast my vote in the pole as "moving on". I don't have v8.5 to fall back on and I refuse to pay for v10 just to see if they might come out with OSX some time this year. If v10 works, then they need to prove it to me with a download that works with my 2002 disc.

But for now, I can learn LightWave for free with the Discovery Edition. And NewTek is offering a competitive upgrade. At least I can make an educated decision and not keep all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

I tried to work this out with Hash directly but they did not answer my emails and my emails were very polite and professional. I don't know... :shrug:

One observation I would like to make about this poll, is it might be a little slanted because those that are sticking with AM are still in this forum, those that are moving on, may have already "moved". So they wouldn't be here to cast a vote. I am still loitering because I want to know what Hash is doing but that won't last forever.

artfan1

dfaris
01-30-2003, 02:53 AM
I wish you would add an option of sticking with AM after they fix all this stuff. I would give them another chance if they fix and add the stuff from the HASH is listening thread. But for now I have moved on.

See ya

Kricket
01-30-2003, 04:34 AM
Moving on.. I just ordered Lightwave and Messiah. (Wish me luck!)

Suricate
01-30-2003, 12:16 PM
I got fed up with v9.5 and moved on to Lightwave last summer. LW is quite a nice choice. However, if A:M ever manages to overcome the stability/rendering problems, I might return.

dragonfollower
01-30-2003, 06:41 PM
Moving on...

The thing that would keep me with AM is its char. animation capabilities and its dope sheet. But as soon as I get some cash I'm moving on to LW/Messiah:Animate. The animation capabilities are just as good if not better than AM and it has a dope sheet. The main reason I'm switching to LW is because I want to actually get a job. The second reason would be the great modeling abilities it has. I used to be an advocate of the power of Hash patches, but for anything more than cartoony characters, they just don't cut it for me. I've found that I can model anything with LW. Funny though, never thought I'd hear myself saying that...

-bRiAn

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.