PDA

View Full Version : Maya Export Message

fivedollarhandshake
09-14-2006, 03:38 PM
I am exporting my character from Maya to MB and I am getting a message during export that FBX Eport Question Could not retrieve bind pose for object: /Reference Use the current transform instead?

I have followed the Buzz tuts and I have grouped my geomerty to my skeletal hiearachy and named it Reference for MB (this would be what FBX is refering to /Reference)

Naming Convention for joints is proper and I have skinned and weighted my character.

What gives?

Also when I bypass this message and open the file in MB I charcterize it and everything seems to work fine until I move the limbs, then MB crashes.

So I'm guessing I have to figure out this message to potentially eliminate the crashing?

Someone must have come across this problem before and your assistance will be rewarded lol.

skater363636
09-14-2006, 10:59 PM
I've also been having issues with exporting to fbx from Maya. With mine Maya just likes to crash after about a half hour of thinking. I can import FBX no problem. I've taken a character and used the auto rig set up thats made to go to motion builder and skin it. Every time I try to export out though it likes to crash and it takes awhile to do so. I'm using maya 7.01 on this and have used different computers.

fivedollarhandshake
09-15-2006, 07:22 AM
Hey Skater, just an update that may not relate to your perticular problem but I have found my reason for crashing. When I characterized, some of my joints where mispelled and by then creating a control rig to manipulate my character these joints not being included in the rig would leave the corresponding geometry those joints where associated with behind during any kind of translation of the rig and CRASH. Basically I double checked everything in the mapping list was used and then created my control rig.

Also I was getting an error message on point of characterization for my forearmroll angle being off by 2.01. This may have contributed to the above or future problems so I eliminated that by going back to Maya and maintaining straight arms with no elbow bend for preffered angle setting. I thought if I bend the elbows on joint creation in maya this would help MB to determine which way the elbows bend (kinda like the knees) but this is not needed and only gives you an error message in MB.

BTW...what a great forum...you can ask a question and answer it yourself. Goodluck Skater

skater363636
09-15-2006, 10:58 PM
currently my issue is trying to export from maya to motion builder. Maya likes to crash after a half hour of thinking and I can't get a good fbx out. I'm using maya 7.01.

chellescreations
09-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Skater: What version of the exporter are you using? We had this problem, but updating to the newest plug-in version fixed it. If you go to the Alias site you should be able to dowload it. I think the current version is 2006.02.

Also, since it was never mentioned, the error message about not having a bind pose for the reference is just because you grouped it after you'd skinned the character. You can just click use current transform and everything will be fine. That didn't have anything to do with the crashing (which you already figured out). :)

skater363636
09-18-2006, 08:54 PM
ok thanks about the info on the crashing issue. I've been using school computers for it so I'll have to talk with a systems guy to see if they are going to get it updated. Seems like maya 7 was just one big mess when it comes to little errors like that.

CGTalk Moderation
09-18-2006, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.