PDA

View Full Version : Rigging for a fat character....

madmac3d
01-29-2003, 05:44 PM
I'm modelling a really fat character and am wanting to be able to animate the movement of the folds of fat realistically. Does anyone have any suggestions (or links to tutorials) for rigging up the folds of fat on a character so that they swell and wobble when I animate the character?...
thanks.:wavey:

QuantumPixel
01-30-2003, 07:50 AM
If you into maya. You could try soft bodies, or jiggle deformers.

Or maybe if you wanted to have complete control you could set it up so you would be controlling the fat with clusters that are stationary in relation to the rig until you move them around individually.

You can get a rilly nice effect if you weight them properly.

my web site. www.boygonemad.com

check out boygonemad under the work in progress section the thread that you will find is focused on the Lost Artifact Project.

good luck with the fat.

bentllama
01-30-2003, 08:13 AM
I have a tutorial for this subject based on a different technique I have been testing out. the tutorial itself is not finished yet, but it will be featured on my site by mid-year [sorry it doesnt help you now, but be sure to check back]

good luck with yer folds!

:beer:

HippyDrome
01-30-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi madmac3d,

I would approach the problem by first modeling the fatty tissue in a default/neutral position with out gravity pulling it to the ground. As you rig your character put in controls to pull that that fatty tissue around and give it gravity.

Just a thought.

Hope it helps,

HippyDrome

bobzilla
02-05-2003, 01:24 AM
How do you keep the fat areas from intersecting with each other. For instance, how do you keep several chins from not going through each other as they move. Or a thigh from going through a stomach as it walks??

samysuns
02-07-2003, 03:00 PM
hi

I think if you show us the wireframe we can fine a solution

there is a devil(indigo) here (http://www.samankhorram.com/indigo.htm)

and walk on my site i think its usefull.

see you later!

madmac3d
02-07-2003, 07:17 PM
thanks for taking interest!
This is just an early WIP, but I will be adding more folds of fat once I'm happy wih the overall model!

samysuns
02-07-2003, 08:38 PM
ah you are in max

what ver of max you use .write it.

you can also send the low poly to me and after bip i send it to you! "a free service!"

have a good night

madmac3d
02-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Hippydrome : That's a good suggestion.... I have another problem though.... The character will be wearing a harness which should influence the movement of the skin....should I just lock the vertices of the skin where they are in contact with the harness? thus only allowing the flesh in between the harness straps to flap about.....

samysuns : thanks for the offer, but I think I'll try to work it out myself! I'll post up progress, as and when it happens! I'm still working on the modelling at the moment, so I won't be doing the rigging immediately. I'm using max-5...

Cheers.

TennerJones
02-11-2003, 05:23 AM
Hey madmac3d,

What kind of harness will it be? Like a back pack or a belt around the shoulder or waist?

When I get things like that on my plate I hate them. :o) You have come a crossed a problem that is very tough to solve. I try to figure out by the story boards the situation that the harness will be used and articulate it straight forward. I also try to lock down a compromise with animators on what controls are really needed. Allot of the times the articulation controls are just custom fit for a specific shot.

Not allot of help but maybe it will help get your mind thinking. :o)

Cheers,

HippyDrome

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.