PDA

View Full Version : nvidia Qudro4 + Maya4 = crash

wasted weasel
01-29-2003, 02:59 PM
hmm, it's been since before christmas since i've posted anything..

I recently installed a Quadro4 500/550 XGL graphics card in my PC, so that i could run dual monitors.

everything works awsome, 3D Max 5 is wicked fast now, but when ever i run Maya (4.2) anytime between 2 and 10 minutes of use it freezes my whole computer, so that nothing works and i have to reset.

Maya worked flawlessly up untill i put the new card in, has anyone else experience problems with this combination?

this card is suppose to be geared towards all the higher end 3D packages, claiming it supports maya, XSI, max, lightwave, etc...

any feedback would help.
thx
Tom

GregHess
01-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Tom,

What driver set are you using with the quadro? There are a variety available you can work with. I'd first check with the manufacturers site to see which one they recommend, then if that doesn't resolve the conflict check....

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=certified_win2k

For application certified drivers.

You can also find other driver releases at...

www.reactorcritical.com

and

www.guru3d.com

wasted weasel
01-29-2003, 08:54 PM
greg,

yeah... i downloaded the latest driver sets, the maya specific ones (i guess i should have mentioned that in my 1st post), i've got service pack 3 installed,..and right now i'm trying a bios upgrade.

if all else fails i'll just go back to my old card and a single monitor...

but i was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem before (with two monitors in general or with the quadro4 card), it also appears to be freezing with my copy of 3D max 5 as well (despite what i said in the first post).

it's not a good week.

thanks for your help though, it's appreciated
tom

CgFX
01-30-2003, 02:37 AM
If the systems is totally freezing or locking up then that is low level enough where it is almost always system chipset related.

If the change came with the addition of a new graphics card then this partly enforces that idea due to the AGP interface being on the north bridge. Graphics boards don't freeze systems. They may crash software or show graphics corruption but their asynchronous nature with respect to the rest of the system keeps the card from freezing a system by itself usually.

What chipset is in the system? I would worry if it is Via but not if it is Intel or AMD.

Make sure you have the latest drivers for your system chipset loaded. You can try adjusting the AGP mode from 4x down to 2x and then down to PCI compatibility mode to see if that removes the issue.

There are some chipsets out there that are bad enough that you may not be able to run in the AGP 4x mode of the 550 XGL. NVIDIA tends to be very agressive with the AGP bus compared to some other vendors I have worked with so I have seen more issues with them when used with a bad AGP implementation or with a buggy chipset.

AmateurOne
01-30-2003, 03:13 AM
I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm running Maya PLE with a Quadra 750 on a Via chipset MB with no problems at all (this is not to be taken as an endorsement of Via chip sets).

wasted weasel
01-31-2003, 06:23 PM
-cgfx-

actually the motherboard is (was) a VIA, and after i swapped back to the old card that i originally had it also started freezing.

after about 5 hours of testing every combination of single and dual CPU, several combinations of ram, etc.... we ruled out that the mother board was at fault, and it was getting worse each time we tried something new with it as well.

the problem has since been solved though now, with a new ASUS board.

everything works great now.

thanks for your input guys,

tom

FreeQ
01-31-2003, 10:54 PM
Know VIA, No Peace
No VIA, Know Peace

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.