PDA

View Full Version : Are the clothes actually modeled?

xDarkvisionx
09-14-2006, 03:22 AM
This has been bugging me for a long time. I'd like to know the answer. Are the clothes on a character modeled or just textured with a bump map? Please give me a full answer as to this is my only source I could find to give me a good answer. Any insight on this question is greatly appreciated. An example would be a tuxedo, the " V " part at the chest where the undershirt meets the outer jacket, would that whole thing be modeled or what? Thanks.

McWolfe
09-14-2006, 04:02 AM
This has been bugging me for a long time. I'd like to know the answer. Are the clothes on a character modeled or just textured with a bump map? Please give me a full answer as to this is my only source I could find to give me a good answer. Any insight on this question is greatly appreciated. An example would be a tuxedo, the " V " part at the chest where the undershirt meets the outer jacket, would that whole thing be modeled or what? Thanks.

Thing is, there is no easy answer to this question. It varies with the circumstances. For instance, in movies like the Incredibles, all clothes where modelled separately and used a cloth simulater to behave correctly. In other instances, clothes are modelled as a part of the character, and in some instances they are made as a bump/displacement/normal-map (or a combination of these three in some way).

All depending on need and resources.

/McW

angelstarfire
09-19-2006, 01:02 AM
Syflex is a good cloth simulator - and as McWolfe said, it really depends on the need... I hate modeling clothing on/with my characters, so I prefer to model clothing separatly and use a simulator. :)

yencaray
09-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Syflex is a good cloth simulator - and as McWolfe said, it really depends on the need... I hate modeling clothing on/with my characters, so I prefer to model clothing separatly and use a simulator. :)

Thats what i do too. Because for me modeling by hand cloth well it's a challenge and increases with the more wrinkles or atleast make it believeable (maybe i just need to study cloth more). So i use a sim and i'll either use the model to drape the cloth over or i'll know ahead of time the parts of the model that will be covered with cloth and not model them and use a cloth sim to drape the cloth over a very rough body outline. And depending on how the cloth needs to fit and look on the surface and character depends on how detailed i'll spend creating the rough shape of the body to drape the cloth over. Hope this helps. for instance i needed to create a scarecrow. So I made "sticks" the crow would be handing on threw the arms and shoulders and draped it over that. For the pants i used multiple spheres inside to create a bluging in the legs to similate leaves being stuffed in them. it worked out very well! hopefully this coming halloween i'll have the scene finished it's going to be in and you'll see it.

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2006, 01:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.