PDA

View Full Version : how to smooth out my model

Phredrek
09-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Hey guys!

I'm trying to change the proportions of my car however the surface looks like it's been dented even though the outside looks really smooth.
here are my examples:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/phredrek/carSmooth.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/phredrek/carChanged.jpg

I've tried duplicating the surface and then making it live and then snapping the vertices to the smooth one but that didn't work. Also using the sculpt poly tool with the smooth brush didn't work either. does anyone have any ideas?
I'm using maya 6.5 btw

thanks!

Frederic

gringer
09-17-2006, 09:44 AM
I don't know much about Maya, but I think your problem is smoothing groups. That's what they're called in MAX anyhow. It's basically the interperetation of the surface across polygons.

I've tried to attach a pic of two spheres here, one with the smoothing groups all out of whack and the other smoothed properly. I'm not sure if the pic uploaded or not though.
Anyway, perhaps a Maya user could jump in and point you in the right direction?

cheers

PlanetaryWolf
09-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Try messing with the normals, like "soft/hard" normals. I believe it's found in the "edit polygon" menu.

GregOconn
09-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey Phedrek,

I've come across this problem in maya a few times before and have come up with different solutions to it every time. I would try playing with the normals as already suggested, but if you can is it possable to post a wireframe? Might be able to make more of it from there.

MacManiax
09-20-2006, 08:26 AM
this is my checklist i go thorugh when things look like that

delete history
check normal direction
merge all vertices using default options
soften normals 180 degrees
conform normals
delete lamina faces
check for 5 sided faces
look for stray vertices left over from deleting edges without using the delete edge option

gordon7up
09-22-2006, 03:20 PM
can we see the wire? maybe a clue there if you havent already sussed it out....

CGTalk Moderation
09-22-2006, 03:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.