PDA

View Full Version : i know its prob simple but i need help with tires

therealdeal20
09-13-2006, 06:59 AM
I am doing a bugatti and i have the rims pretty much done now i want to do the tires. I would like to have my own custom design but not sure how to tackle it

frothlord
09-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Which program are you using?

therealdeal20
09-13-2006, 07:04 PM
I am using maya. i want to do a higher res tire actually modeling in the grooves

xDarkvisionx
09-14-2006, 03:23 AM
Man. That is a tough one, my suggestion (not even sure if it's possible) is to form a repeating pattern, model that section, then set up an array of some sort. Weld the verts.

frothlord
09-14-2006, 12:07 PM
If you were using max Id tell you to create a strip, or ridge of the tire (the short way) then copy it as many times as you want in a row. Then combine the polys, weld the verts, bend modifier until the first and last touch, then weld again. Then I would create a curve and lathe it for the side walls.

Image planes are a must for accuracy.

I havent used maya for this before. The closest thing to a tire I've done is from the digital tutors eclipse modeling dvd, but they use a mental ray displacement (its a black and white image) to give it depth. No real modeling involved with that.

Give me a week ill look into it for you though. Id like to know this myself.

Leionaaad
09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
Displace it. That would be a good way, but you will have a render hit...You know, You can even render the tires sepparatelly.

If you really want to model the grooves, some planning has to be done:
First off, you have to decide how many times a pattern reapeats itself. Lets's say you want it 32 times. You create a cylinder at the right proportions with 32 sides. Delete all the faces excepting one at the top/side whatever. You should have it aligned with the ortographic planes. Model the groves (Make sure it is tileable).
When finished, duplicate the tile 31 times (you need 32 and you already have one), each tile rotated by 11.25 degrees (360/32). Merge the vertices. Tweak the overall shape if necessary.
Just to remind you: The actual segment doesn't have to be square. As long as it's tileable, it can be any shape you need.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.