PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom Environment HELP!!!

McG
09-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Hi there, I'm after some help and advice for the newbie (thats me). I want to get into the game industry and the best way seems to be by being an environment texture artist. So im trying to get some examples together.

I want to create a game environment based around a derelict hotel. I've started with a bathroom concept (here's a quick sketch and progress)

Sketch http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/mcglade/bathroomsketch.jpg

Basic render so far http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/mcglade/bathroomprogress.jpg

Wall texture http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/mcglade/bathroomwall.jpg

I'm concentrating on the walls just now and since i dont know much about game environments texture setups i have a few questions.

1) Am i going about this the right way, with a planer texture map applied to each wall?

2) Should i be making this environment from tileable textures?

3) If so, how do i add the irregularities of the broken tiles and stains on the walls?

4) Lighting - ive got a light in the scene just now but should i be baking the lighting to the color map or leave that to the engine. ( i have no experience with engines)

any help or crits are welcome

thanks

McG

Gamedev
09-13-2006, 05:41 AM
first and foremost, in the future please post your images inline so that we donít have to click on a link to view them :)

1) Am i going about this the right way, with a planer texture map applied to each wall? It doesnít really matter how you map as long as it gets done :). Planer on walls will do.

2) Should i be making this environment from tileable textures?
Yes and no. Textures need to be in square dimensions of 2 (128, 256, 512, etc). Tileable textures will go long way if done right. You can however unwrap objects and use specific diffuse maps that wont tile (for unique objects).

3) If so, how do i add the irregularities of the broken tiles and stains on the walls? You can have two versions of your tileing texture, one with cracks, the other without. You can also use decals / alpha cards, or plains that positioned just above the surface for things like trash, paper, or other floor / wall objects.

4) Lighting - ive got a light in the scene just now but should i be baking the lighting to the color map or leave that to the engine. ( i have no experience with engines) Know how to bake lightmaps should the need arrise. In your scene a simple light setup that is rendered will work for a portfolio. In the future, a level designer will be adding light to the levels and thus your models (aka, not your problem, at least for most environment art jobs).

As for your scene thus far, you really need to find some photo reference and texture from that. Your green tiles are way to saturated and the environment is way to clean.

Keep working at it.

NeoNautica
09-13-2006, 05:45 AM
For a realistic environment I would use photos to make textures. You can find a lot of good pics at www.cgtextures.com (http://www.cgtextures.com). They have a couple of tutorials on that site for making textures.

1. Planar mapping the texture on to the wall is fine. Just be sure the texture density is the same on all of the walls. To check texture density put a checker pattern on the walls and if they are all the same size you are fine. If some walls are larger or streched you need to fix the UVs.

2. The wall texture should be tilable on the X (sides), but doesn't have to be tiable on the Y (top/bottom). The floor texture should be tilable on all sides.

3. Some games do this by adding a decal (a plane right in front of the wall). Other games do it by using a whole new texture for the wall (so they have 1. wall normal and 2. wall cracked).

4. Lighting depends on the engine being used. It helps to bake some lighting into the texture, but only the parts that make since for the tiable texture.

Hope some of this info helps ya out.

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2006, 05:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.