PDA

View Full Version : I want the PROP to work!!!

PJC
01-29-2003, 05:59 AM
Is it just me or would having a fully functional (i.e. textures and surfaces that are accurate) 3DS PROP function just kick ass?

There are just so many good 3DS models that you can buy (or download for free) that I would love to use in AM so that I wouldn't have to build EVERY SINGLE object that I need to in AM directly!

I think it will take a very long time to get a large enough library of native AM models that are of the quality of what's available on TurboSquid, so importing a prop (especially for background objects) would speed production.

In a perfect world, I would love to see Arthurs OBJ importer that brings in perfect AM editable models with their native surface properties and textures, but for now a static full-featured 3DS PROP would be a nice start.

Anyone else think so, or am I the only one?

- pjc

zandoria
01-29-2003, 09:59 PM
You have been able to import textured .3ds files as props for a long time...Since 2000, maybe earlier... Is it not working for you? I've never had a problem with this feature (except for motion blur, seems to ignore props), granted--that's a problem...

PJC
01-29-2003, 10:11 PM
Yeah, they import, and render, but it doesn't transfer any complex materials over, or for that fact, I couldn't even get Reflectivity to work. Just simple bitmap textures and color.

that was in 8.5, maybe I should try in 9.5?

- pjc

zandoria
01-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I think that's right just color and bump... I don't think you can change attributes--that would be great! But i think the only way is to convert it to an A:M model, so the new .OBJ plug-in would be the way to go (haven't tested that though)

PJC
01-30-2003, 12:40 AM
Yeah, exactly. Below is an example.

The first image is Cinema 4D XL 8.

The second is AM v9.51e

The Figure was built in C4D and is green with a purple head and a transparent leg. The green and purple are reflective. The sphere was built in AM, exported as 3DS and the attributes came in fine to C4D except Reflections, but I could edit those.

AM brings in the prop fine, just no reflections, and I doubt refractions work as well. If you have layered shaders or multiple maps on one object AM's Prop only sees the top level.

I hope to try the obj importer, but I'm still on v9. If I see samples that work well, it's definately a big push for me to get v10.

- pjc

walasek
01-30-2003, 03:07 AM
PJC,

If you are on version 9.5, then the version 10 plugin on the hash site or at http://12.213.91.41/AM/OBJ.hxt should work

If you are on version 9.0 then here is the URL for a 9.0 version
http://12.213.91.41/AM/OBJ90.hxt

If you are on version 8.5 (maybe even before) use:
http://12.213.91.41/AM/OBJ.hie

enjoy...

If you find problems importing the reflectivity, refraction, etc, let me know. I can always do some tweaking to the code to make it work right (I didn't have a *lot* of test cases with transparency, etc)...

PJC
01-30-2003, 05:17 AM
sweet! Thanks man! I thought it was just for v10. I will be doing some testing, and I'll let you know.

- pjc

walasek
01-30-2003, 06:21 AM
Since I've written code for both the HIE and the HXT based SDK's, I sort of know the differences and commonalities. So I usually try to make my plugins work in either environment, with sort of a wrapper around them isolating the main code. The wrapper has the specifics for the HIE/HXT extensions, but basically calls the same code.

Makes it easy to move it across the various versions...

PJC
01-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Downloaded the Obj.htx for 9.51 and made an obj file in Cinema 4D of the same "man" I made in the above. It comes in just fine makes nice splines, but no surfaces at all, all I get is a white model. What am I doing wrong?

Does anyone have an obj that works so I can look at it? Maybe it's Cinema4D that's screwing things up?

- pjc

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.