PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Lighthouse - 'Dew' is great!

halfworld
09-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi all,

This is a still from an animation I'm working on in my very limited spare time. I've had a very low quality preview on my website for a while now but had some time over the last couple of days to tart it up... et voila.

It's post produced to death, but that's the point ;)

Dew was used for the rain drops on the glass, my oh my do I love that shader. Of note, about half the lighthouse was made in EI using Trestle, Bebel and Revolver. The rest in FormZ.

Best,
Ian

http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/hdb2-12-9.jpg

DickM
09-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Awesome Ian, Nice Job! Since when has the word "post" become bad ;)

You have to post updates! :applause:

FelixCat
09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Nice work so far, Ian. Just curiosity: you can animate the Dew drops?
Hope we will see the animation when itīs done ;D
FelixCat

halfworld
09-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Cheers chaps!

I'll be sure to keep you posted. My flatmate has put a print of that picture on our apartments 'art wall' which is a good sign ;)

About animating the dew drops, using raytracing as they do, they always look MUCH better in an animation (as does everything raytraced). However the drops themselves will not move, the reason for this is that the Dew shader uses displacement and animated displacement is one of the no go areas for 3D (shaders especially) because it can be so unpredictable. Long story short, if i wanted to show some drops moving, and I do, then I'll do it via RealFlow and only have 10 or 20 drops moving, this insures fast rendering and will help give the illusion that they're all moving :)

Thanks again !!
Ian

DickM
09-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi Ian
I don't have dew so I don't know, but have you tried animating on the y axis in the material editor just to see what happens. Also, you could always hand animate in after effects a few drops and then apply it to the bump channel.

Go here for inspiration:

http://www.rustboy.com/movies/raintex.htm

http://www.rustboy.com/movies/movie16.htm

Can't wait to see this animated. How long will the final animation run?

halfworld
09-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Yeah, i've tried that and that's how I'm going to use dew in a project at work that we're about to start, but for the uber close up that I plan to do, it won't cut the mustard ;)

The animation will run in at just over 90secs. Well, that's what I get if I add up all the animation paths I have so far :)

Cool cool,
Ian

PS. I love rustboy :) Great link, I didn't think of doing it like that..... Maybe I will ;)

MagicEgger
09-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Congrats!

The light and the mood are beautifull
good use of dew.

really nice work

Tomas

Martin Kay
09-21-2006, 08:29 AM
Nice work- looks good!

Martin K

halfworld
02-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi all,

Bet you thought I'd forgotten about this ;) Well, nearly. I found some spare time last night and did another render.

I tried to fake it so it looked like there was rain on the lens, alas, it looks more like the camera is looking through a window.

http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/hdb-long-distance2.jpg

I hope to set off some of the animation path renders in the very near future, just a couple more textures to tweak.

Hope all is well,
Ian

PS. I just remembered I'd turned off Kmyst for this render! Damnit! Expect an update to this image with some added fog :)

halfworld
02-16-2007, 01:31 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/Lighthouse-LD.jpg

Tidied it up (the photo of water on the camera lens has been significantly cleaned), darkened the sky, added a bit of Kmyst (man is that a cool shader!).

Etc.
Ian :)

richardjoly
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
I can't tell you how much i love the mood of this image. But then again I can: I love the mood of this image...
If I may be so bold to criticize, The pointy spotlight is... well... too pointy. Theses lights sources are huge, one would expect it much larger at the window.
Can't wait for animation... How do you intend to animate the water drops in the camera lens?

halfworld
02-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the comments :D

I tend to agree with you, it does look fairly skinny. I'm going to have to use the old invert fog trick to get it to look right as I can't move that light any further back.

Right, water on the lens, very easy.

Step one, place a sheet of glass over your DV Camera lens
Step two, go outside at night when it's raining and point the dv camera at a dark wall near a street light (use a suitable angle so the water runs off, also make sure focus is set to infinity :).
Step three, film
Step four, layer on top (I think I'm using the screen layer mode for this).

Et voila,
Ian :)

mike33
02-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi Ian,

Nice work.

The only things that I have questions on is the lighting on the back side of the Lighthouse and the Spotlight.
The backside of the light house seems too bright in contrast with the sun coming through the clouds on the other side, should there be more shadow? But I'm not sure if that's because of the water drops changing the contrast... or if the Spotlight would reflect that much light downward. In regards to the Spotlight, I also would like to second Richards comment on it's pointyness.

I don't have anything to reference to, so I'm basing my perception/comments on my minds eye. Do you have any reference pictures you could show?

oh yeah, the rocks look great, but could they use more wetness?

I hope you don't mind the critigue... If I'm out of line please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

richardjoly
02-16-2007, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=Right, water on the lens, very easy.

Step one, place a sheet of glass over your DV Camera lens
Step two, go outside at night when it's raining and point the dv camera at a dark wall near a street light (use a suitable angle so the water runs off, also make sure focus is set to infinity :).
Step three, film
Step four, layer on top (I think I'm using the screen layer mode for this).[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for something more CG... Can you read the deception in my reply...?:sad:
Great idea though. Of course, you need a black wall and a lampost at hand...:thumbsup:

halfworld
02-16-2007, 10:24 PM
The backside of the light house seems too bright in contrast with the sun coming through the clouds on the other side, should there be more shadow?

Do you have any reference pictures you could show?

oh yeah, the rocks look great, but could they use more wetness?

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments!

Firstly, parts of the lighthouse are indeed too light, these are post production errors, I'll fix them.
Secondly, I have about a thousand reference photos :) I'll choose some suitable ones and put them online, It would probably pay for me to look at them more often ;)
Lastly, I do actually have the Onsen shader on the rock, it obviously isn't set up correctly thus I completely agree with you that they should look wetter. I have noticed this myself in the on-screen versions but on the prints I've made (on which I base my own critiques) it isn't an issue.

Thanks very, very much for your comments!!
Ian

halfworld
02-19-2007, 11:56 AM
Another update.

http://homepage.mac.com/cake_or_death/lighthouse4.jpg

Some wet on the rock, better mist, and a better beacon light - though it's still not perfect. In the interests of actually getting this whole project finished I think I'll just claim "victory" over this image and move on to the next one (a rain tunnel - looking through the clouds directly downward onto the lighthouse and sea with the rain zooming past :) It's rendering at home now.

Ian

wowbaggin
04-06-2007, 08:22 AM
wow, this is gorgeous. i love the style and the color. looking forward to seeing seeing it in motion.

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2007, 08:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.