PDA

View Full Version : Challenge WIP: Matt Clark

Matt-Clark
12-29-2001, 07:04 PM
http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/pirate12.jpg

About 2 or 3 days work over the Xmas period. Many parts of this image are very much still in progress.

Taking the pirate theme quite literally, and generally going a little over the top with the proportions. He'll look a little better when he's posed, although I daren't say this guy will have terrible back problems.

Things that still need to be taken care of:

He's quite frigtening looking at the moment (esp close up facial), and I've just remembered that he's supposed to look friendly. (friendly pirates? bah....)

Wings: Nah, I think we'll leave those out..

Tail: I don't think he'll suit a tail, but maybe I think of a workaround. (hmmm.. ponytail?)

Spoon(!)/Utensil: I reckon the addition of a sword of some sort in his left hand might actually balance him out a bit...

Y-Guy
12-29-2001, 07:56 PM
Hey Matt! Im a big fan of your work. *bows* :eek:

I gotta say, the modelling is cool, but the weight distribution make the character seem less realistic. I suggest that you make him lean over inthe direction of the big hook, and make his right leg bigger in order to support the weight, and make him in a dramatic pose.

InnerVortex
12-29-2001, 08:20 PM
woow.. im really done now.. thats beautiful.. thats.. ouch.. it hurts..

bassaminator
12-29-2001, 09:00 PM
tough act to follow...
the hook looks rounded as opposed to sharpened, and the folds in the pants look weird. But since this is WIP I'd probably better keep my mouth shut.;)
Seriously good work. Its going to be hard not to throw in the towel.

cerreto
12-29-2001, 09:15 PM
thats one hell of an arm ! and fast moceling also looking forward to seeing what you add ,change etc cool work !

Matt-Clark
12-29-2001, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Y-Guy
Hey Matt! Im a big fan of your work. *bows* :eek:

I gotta say, the modelling is cool, but the weight distribution make the character seem less realistic.

Well I think I can safely say that realism isn't too high on the agenda here. ;)
I'm pushing the limits of 'silly proportions' here , but as I said it will look a little more convincing when it's posed correctly with him hunched over and using the robot arm more as an extra leg. That will come when the modelling is finished and I skin him.

The pants are going to get replaced completely as they're crap. Thanks for pointing that out :D

Here's a mug shot. Still got some plans for this.

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/mug.jpg

bassaminator
12-29-2001, 09:34 PM
very cool head! I love the nose (ps: he seems to have a passing resemblence to your avatar-coincidence?)
must say he doesn't look too friendly right now- perhaps if he smiled ;)

marioucci
12-29-2001, 11:41 PM
very nice work matt,
specially the boots!!
keep it up:)

wolf
12-30-2001, 08:29 AM
Nice robotic arm.
really great.

Pentagramma
12-30-2001, 12:09 PM
Very, very good!

Amazing shapes and volumes, and the face is great.

The only thing I have to say is he is a really scary character - not friendly at all. I mean, I would run away if this guy said "Hi"!

But great job so far, anyway.

rendermonkey23
12-30-2001, 03:30 PM
Jeeeezz :) ......................NICE!!

I like the left hand a lot. And ummm, everything else.

Lewis Varga
12-30-2001, 05:26 PM
Oops I crapped my pants. Hehe that is awesome, did you box model his arm pads and are they one continuous piece or individual pieces attached together? I think the pants look stylish :)

Shogun
12-30-2001, 10:54 PM
Hey Matt.
I'm another admirer of your work. (Love the monkey avatar & star wars stuff.)
I just hope this guy doesn't absent-mindedly scratch anything with the wrong hand...

pascal_blanche
12-31-2001, 12:18 AM
hehehe you didn't lost your time huh? really nice work Matt ;) argh can't start before next week... :D must.. resist.....

sigma
12-31-2001, 07:19 AM
Amazing work once again Matt. Did you do any sketches before hand? What do you have for a PC?

curious :p

Matt-Clark
12-31-2001, 02:08 PM
http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/pirate15.jpg

Small update: replaced the pants, added a few details here and there. Have plans to change the hat and also an idea to get round the 'friendly' criteria...

Sigma: No sketches, I pretty much imagined him as I read the various criteria in the original thread. Any gaps in my original idea I then made up as I went along. I use a 1.4ghz Athlon with 600(ish)mb RAM.

Taoizm
12-31-2001, 03:14 PM
Really great work Matt. Are you using Meshtools?

Matt-Clark
12-31-2001, 03:35 PM
Yep, I've championed Meshtools from day one and couldn't cope without them. I also use CSPolytools which I helped Chris Subagio develop (well I came up with some ideas, and then beta tested and tried to break them ;)

They're both absolutely essential to my working practices. I really would be lost without them...

bassaminator
01-01-2002, 04:28 AM
well, if this model is any judge, I'd say meshtools were pretty good. Love the tubing/wires going into the arm, the boots (an indeed the whole costume) is a nice 'retrofit' update of the pirate theme. Great design.

cerreto
01-01-2002, 06:16 PM
Its funny i find that im so comfortable with the tools i use in lw it makes it hard to want to learn other apps at all , do you feel the same ? I am learning others but lw just feels very comfortable !

Now back on topic , skull and crossbones are a cool idea ! do you have a shot from th eother side id like to see the other arm as its my favorite

Matt-Clark
01-01-2002, 09:09 PM
http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/pirate16.jpg

fellipe
01-01-2002, 11:44 PM
and the winner is.................

Y-Guy
01-02-2002, 05:44 AM
:eek:
Oh man, someone won before I even started! Haha! This is too ironic. But, yeah, the oscar goest to Matt clark. Felippe has a point there...

AJ
01-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Sorry to bother you... but I appear to have dropped my jaw...

lildragon
01-02-2002, 11:19 AM
make him smile, make him SMILE!!! :) man Matt you're too damn good for your own good.... we need to seriously pull you away from that comp of yours :p

Psy
01-02-2002, 02:52 PM
I agree, he looks very nice, but isn't he supposed to be friendly looking as well?

good job tho, very nice.

Joebount
01-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Hey, let's have a vote :

Who wants Matt Clark to be out of this contest ?

:D :D :D

I love your work !
BTW, do you still work for Decipher ?

smeag0L
01-02-2002, 04:31 PM
Joebount: i want him out!!!!! :D

Uhmm..... that pirate just r0cks! ;) U're da artist. Keep that level, good work.

Matt-Clark
01-02-2002, 08:37 PM
Why do my threads always end up with me being chased out of town? ;)

Anyway, my idea for the 'friendly' workaround was a mask which covers his ugly mug. It's both friendly and a little sinister which suits me fine as I didn't like the idea of a friendly looking pirate anyway. :D (in case anyone is wondering, yes I did steal the design from V for Vendetta)

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/pirate17.jpg
He only wears this for photo opportunities....

Y-Guy
01-02-2002, 08:50 PM
He looks like... Matt, really stop it with the supreme work... were trying to put someting out... but every time you're posting an update we have to spend 3 days tweaking ours...
Joking .

Looks kinda funny, but in my opinion is looks more sinister than glad. :D

AJ
01-02-2002, 10:48 PM
I like the idea of the mask... doesn't really suit the overall style of his character (IMHO) - but then that does add to the sinister nature of it.

I think it would look cool if you had like a "half" mask on his face... not as in Phantom of the Opera - but covering his eyes. In a Masquerade kind of way... with joyful eyes, it would make a sneer on his lips look worrying (in a good way I think).

I completely agree... some of the criteria for this comp are a little OTT, most can be encorporated (as everyone whose entered so far has shown) but the "Look Happy/Kind" one is possibley the hardest... How many Tall Alien Pirates with robot appendages can you imagine with a cheeky grin and a gleem in their eye??

More More Matt!! :D

Lev_0
01-03-2002, 03:53 AM
I don't really like the mask, the face was really kick ass! IMO you should just give the guy a smile on his face, that'd make him nice :)

Golgoth_bla
01-03-2002, 01:51 PM
I LOVE IT !!!

the mask is a nice idea but.. i love his real head too !
maybe you have to find a posing where whe can see the two ? :)

and the only think i don't like is the jolly roger on the mechanical arm (yeah this is only to say something about his work ;) )

Matt-Clark
01-03-2002, 08:34 PM
Did some quick skinning (don't point out the errors I can see them ;) ) and some test poses. I'll link to these rather that post them here as the threads can get a bit unwieldy.

Pose Test 1 (http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/pirate18.jpg)
Pose Test 2 (http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/pirate19.jpg)
Pose Test 3 (http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/pirate20.jpg)

fellipe
01-03-2002, 09:43 PM
the 3rd one is the winner.

make a animation with that idea and show it to Tim Burton =)

bassaminator
01-04-2002, 03:02 AM
Matt, this inspirational.
Its amazing yet encouraging to see something so good come together so quickly.
I like all the poses. You might want to point out those mistakes you can see- Or perhaps I should look at them more. Whatever they are, they don't overcome my 'blown away' sense enough for me to see them.
I vote you winner (is it Feruary 1st yet?)
:D :D :D :D

pascal_blanche
01-04-2002, 10:44 AM
thx for sharing you talented anoying thing :D :D

AJ
01-04-2002, 11:35 AM
Rubbish!!! I mean... it was crappy to start, but now it's just abysmal!:eek:

(Sorry - just looking at my own attempt...):(

(as for yours Matt - Too good :D )

Joebount
01-04-2002, 12:49 PM
I've been looking at your pirate's face and at your avatar's face and I was wondering if you didn't took the monkey's head for the pirate ?

Matt-Clark
01-04-2002, 01:18 PM
Your the 2nd person to suggest that so I guess the similarity must be there, but they were both built from scratch. Here's an early version of the pirate head and the monkey head which I think show the differeces.

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/compare.jpg

Having said that I'm all for reusing elements where possible. The pirates hand was taken from my Nemesis model here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54)

Joebount
01-04-2002, 02:07 PM
Ok ! Not a problem for me that we reuse some parts of other works. :)

I still wondering why this pirates remind me a monkey ...

Taoizm, where are you ? I need your opinion !!! :D

lildragon
01-04-2002, 02:36 PM
I see no resemblance

bassaminator
01-04-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi, Matt, never meant originally to imply that the two were derived from the same mesh- just that I saw a similarity. I actually attributed it to personal style/technique and the vage resemblance in features, i.e. deepset eyes/heavy brow, nose half snoutlike merging with mout protusion, mixture of smooth organic looking modelling with 'technological' look.
Nothing more.
I can sorta recognize some peoples models by now (venue and other clues might help) or at least recognize some commonality in the works I know already to be theirs.
PS: I'm all for re-using elements too- its just that I didn't think that in this case.

edmundw
01-10-2002, 05:56 PM
it seems a bit quiet in here... What happened?? Maybe you can post some wireframe pic in here...

pascal_blanche
01-10-2002, 06:19 PM
actually he is using all his time to try to minimise my stuff :D :D baaad boy Matt :D :D :D

Matt-Clark
01-10-2002, 08:12 PM
Bah, humbug.

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/pirate24.jpg

rendermonkey23
01-10-2002, 10:12 PM
wow... cool update. I really like the sword. It's kinda like a machine gun sword :) . I like the addition of the wires too. That hook could be fun to animate to.

Very cool matt.

fellipe
01-10-2002, 11:09 PM
render monkey is right...animate him! lets see what happen

Prisoner
01-11-2002, 08:34 PM
:eek: WOW:eek:
you will have to teach us how to do a char like you!!

pascal_blanche
01-12-2002, 07:23 PM
wow Matt I love this new update, cool details on the hook it looks more like a flexible thing now, like a whip, merged with some scorpio tail.. great i mean.. crap!!:D :D :D

SheepFactory
01-12-2002, 07:37 PM
duh! , so much for the challange.

i am not joining after seeing this model :D

awesome awesome model Matt.

Matt-Clark
01-12-2002, 08:55 PM
testing....testing.....

Small motion Test -- DivX -- 900k (http://3dluvr.com/acme/piratetest.avi)

lildragon
01-12-2002, 09:15 PM
I really do hate you, don't forget that :p

the motion test is remarkable man, I can't believe you rigged that hook!!! damnit man :)

Taoizm
01-12-2002, 09:45 PM
HOLY CHEEZ-WHIZ Matt. :D I've been busy moving for the past week, and I come back to this animation test. Good lord that is sweet. Are you going to break the rules and texture him?

Blackarts
01-13-2002, 01:35 AM
wow! nice work Matt, your models have so much style. It looks great, keep up the good work.

-daryl.

rendermonkey23
01-13-2002, 01:44 AM
Dood you DOOOO rule!! :) One quick question... How did you do the wires? Turn them into part of the mesh (from the spline)?

Super rad model Matt. Keep goin cause I get soooo stoked when I see stuff like that.

Black-Ant
01-13-2002, 01:54 AM
Matt what modeling Technique do you use for your Characters?

Black-ANt

Thoth
01-13-2002, 09:48 AM
uh...amazing ....

underdog
01-13-2002, 10:26 AM
geezzz...awesome work man. That hook owns me

onearmedboxer
01-13-2002, 10:38 AM
I say we all gang up and beat the crap outa matt .

So who is all with me . :mad:

goodlag
01-13-2002, 01:30 PM

loog ~~~ :)

always cool~

edmundw
01-13-2002, 06:06 PM
You're the man... You're featured on cgchannel today... It's about time to show us the textured version of your pirate...

cerreto
01-13-2002, 10:34 PM
2 down 60 to go

http://alshaheen.net/artists/cerreto/dirty.jpg

btw awesome models matt and pascal !

dave_baer
01-14-2002, 10:57 PM
LOL@cerretto! friendly my ass! I want to kill something! LOL! =)

Krep Suzeth
01-15-2002, 07:32 AM
Well ... hum.... excellent !
I really love your model. Nice face :D
Great details on the hook.
A little crit ... the folds on his "dress".

I like it !!!

Krep

epatnor
01-16-2002, 02:41 PM
Hope you can throw another update in here soon Matt... I just love your guy! :)

:( Well I'm not IN love with him but... damnit... He's kinda nice :p

The dwarf
01-16-2002, 03:30 PM
I' like your style,and all of your work are exellent:D

vertex
01-18-2002, 07:04 AM
Great model, when are we going to see him swinging his cutlass and using the hook.

Can you so a render of the model in wireframe without meshsmooth. (polly give you a cracker)

Excellent work Matt.

Equinoxx
01-18-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Matt Clark
testing....testing.....

Small motion Test -- DivX -- 900k (http://3dluvr.com/acme/piratetest.avi)

Mate, he allready did an animation test ;)

btw matt, we deserve an update :D

vertex
01-18-2002, 08:18 AM
Thanks for that, the test is great and we do deserve an update.

Vertex

Matt-Clark
01-21-2002, 04:56 PM
Been busy on other things recently so I've neglected the pirate a bit. So, not really an update, but here's a few posed action shots and an idea (which I'm not really happy with) of intergrating a telescope type thing into the mask.

Oh, and whilst I'm here I'd like to say thank you to the person who tried to fob off this work as his own in his portfolio. I think this guy should be nicknamed 'lucky', as he chose to send the work to the people who are currently hiring me. "Doh".
Gave us a laugh that did. ;)

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/blue1.jpg
http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/blue2.jpg
http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/blue3.jpg
http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/blue4.jpg

pascal_blanche
01-21-2002, 05:08 PM
greeat Matt! really great! I like the "chaarge" pose a lot!! (watch out the little weird deform on the bust :p )

Taoizm
01-21-2002, 05:21 PM
*jaw drops* He looks so happy charging me with a sword. How nice. :)

bassaminator
01-21-2002, 06:37 PM
this is quite amazing! great poses, and great detailing on the mask. Kudos.

lildragon
01-21-2002, 06:43 PM
Matt what's your rigging technique? I'm always amazed at how well you get a detailed mesh like this to deform they way it's intended to be (well without the prob Pascal mentioned) how much time do you spend on envelopes and the sort?

Great mask and poses

smeag0L
01-21-2002, 06:59 PM
Stoling ideas to the small ones ... eh? (it was a joke)

Once again u've impresed us with your work, you're really a 3d machine... x). Good work, keep it up!

Jur jur!

Matt-Clark
01-21-2002, 07:35 PM
The rig is pretty bad if you look closely. His left shoulder is wrong, there's the problem on the torso which Pascal noticed, and the 'skirt' is passable in this pose (even with those odd creases along the front) but trust me it doesn't work in others.

I'm not bothered about skinning him brilliantly yet, because I'll probably go back and tweak the mesh. I use Character Studio and usually manually assign verts, so any change to the underlying geometry would cause a disaster.

Konyn
01-21-2002, 11:12 PM
I think you should go with out the mask, although it looks very funny and friendly with its big smile, he doesn't look like an alien with his mask on.

Also comparing his hat with the rest of the model, it could maybe have some (more) details

I still don't know what those extensions on his boots are.

I also like to know how you've deformed/animated all those wires and how you created them. (spline or mesh?)

oh, I almost forgot. WOW, this is incredible!

Matt-Clark
01-21-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Konyn
1) I think you should go with out the mask, although it looks very funny and friendly with its big smile, he doesn't look like an alien with his mask on.

2) Also comparing his hat with the rest of the model, it could maybe have some (more) details

3) I still don't know what those extensions on his boots are.

4) I also like to know how you've deformed/animated all those wires and how you created them. (spline or mesh?)

5) oh, I almost forgot. WOW, this is incredible!

1. So what does an alien look like? I think the mask still looks a little sinister, but then that's because I based it on the mask worn by the character in V for Vendetta. I prefer to the mask to the real face, and it's hopefully keeping him more inline with the rules which I'm already twisting. (I'm still waiting for someone to ask about a tail...)
2. Hat details are coming up.
3. I still don't know what the extensions on his boots are either, but don't tell anyone.
4. Top secret. :P (although the words 'linked xform', 'spline select', and 'Blur's WireJumble script' have something to do with it)
5) Can I take that as winning your vote? ;)

Konyn
01-22-2002, 12:15 AM
Matt Clark, you have five minutes to show us the tail or otherwise you will be banned from this challenge! :D

better? :p

So what does an alien look like?
ok, you got me, but IMHO the mask looks a lot more human than the real (alien) face. And its not that I don't like the mask, I just like the face better.

and thanks for the top secret info, although I still don't have any idea how you did it, but at least I now know where to look.

Matt-Clark
01-23-2002, 12:22 AM
Seems things are getting so busy now that if you don't update your thread quick enough you're off the front page in a few hours.

So here's some tweaks and details:

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/piratedetail.jpg

lildragon
01-23-2002, 12:27 AM
Hye Matt very nice details, I spot one prob tho... he has a holster for a gun, the side it's on is meant for a right handed quick draw, problem is, he has no right hand :) and it's impossible to draw it with the left hand, ;) especially with the position it's in :) so umm can you please explain the existence of a gunless holster on the wrong side of this gents bod :)

Excellent model thus far

Matt-Clark
01-23-2002, 12:43 AM
so umm can you please explain the existence of a gunless holster on the wrong side of this gents bod

Simple; it's not a holster. In the image back on Page 4 it is on the other side of his body, and at this point it was going to be a holster, which probably explains the current appearance. When it's finished it will be where he docks his sword (although not strictly a sheath), so it's now on his left.

cerreto
01-23-2002, 03:08 AM
Thats a nice render sme nice detailing going on too !

SirManfred
01-23-2002, 08:46 AM
Matt: Yeah.. mine is already off the front page... but... i'll let my lil Alien Pirate Rest In Peace...

And yeah... i like your entry! It dont look very friendly but i think its awsome anyway... :)

toma
01-23-2002, 09:50 AM
I love it Matt !
What a model...
BTW, did you know that this thread has been seen 16889 times for the moment ?

Not bad i find...

Anyway, i dream of seeing it moving, with wide movements god that could be terrific !!!

lildragon
01-23-2002, 02:53 PM
nice save Matt ;)

Cédric
01-23-2002, 05:59 PM
Wow...

"Mess with the bests, Die like the rest..."

Wow...

"Bats toi avec les meilleurs, Crèves avec les autres..."

lol :D

mrego
01-24-2002, 01:46 AM
matt

your work is awesome, here and on your site. i love your pirate i think its the best in the challenge, great detail. i love the fat guy with hooves on your site too. the star wars stuff is amazing and very accurate modelling... i dunno if you had to do that for a job, but i really think you should do more of your own characters... they're so very amazing and inspiring.

all the best - love your work
-mrego

Taoizm
01-24-2002, 03:01 AM
not bad...not bad at all. :) course far better than what I can do currently.

epatnor
01-24-2002, 12:33 PM
Hey Matt; your pirate is coming along quite nicely! ;)

Reply on your humble request a few posts ago: Where is his tail already!?!? :D

mickatt
01-24-2002, 01:34 PM
after the golden globe and soon the oscar....welcome to th cgtalk awards....:)

And the winner is......................................

Matt-Clark
01-24-2002, 03:01 PM
Almost done.

I quite liked the idea of using an anchor as a prop/weapon (and if you look closely a shoe buckle too :) ).

I just looked at my image on page one of this thread - he's come along hasn't he? Looks half naked back there.

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/final.jpg

lildragon
01-24-2002, 04:00 PM
nicely done Matt, I like the sheath for the sword, makes sense now... you and Pascal should now be complete in the modeling phase ;) ...... some animations would be a treat now :)

pascal_blanche
01-24-2002, 04:09 PM
Wow matt you went crazy on details!! argh you won.... no .. wait.. I have some days left huhuhuh.. (already made a sword)
I love these little spheres incrusted everywhere... they have so much style!

Cédric
01-24-2002, 04:10 PM
Yeah, it' s a modeling very astonishing, you put a lot of details and your rendering is very beautiful... I hope you will texture and animate this model...
Don't forget the wireframe render ;)

Good job master...

Yeah, c' est un modelage vraiment incroyable, avec beaucoup de détails et un rendu très beau... J' espère que le texturage et l' animation suivront ce modèle...
N' oublies pas un rendu en vue fil de fer et polygonal ;)

Bon boulot maitre...

Silmarillion
01-24-2002, 05:26 PM
The detail on this dude is insane , you made a great job with him ,He deserves the gold medal .. Really great stuff...

X-23
01-24-2002, 07:36 PM
Almost done.

Hecking me!

This work have good feeling! I soon will be to learn this but thinking I must work harder for to be so good as him!

parallax
01-24-2002, 08:02 PM
Holy shite! did you handcode that all in c++?
you got awesome coding skills ;)

sherban
01-24-2002, 10:22 PM
i don't mean to pick but I seem to recall something about friendly looking...
:cool: model nontheless

el gatto
01-25-2002, 01:14 AM
I really like the anchor idea, good one, I think you're the only one that thought of it... wow man this pirate is getting better and better..... Epatnor is right tho, no tail ;) and no smile too ;)... heheheh !

amazing work Matt :D

vertex
01-25-2002, 04:35 AM
You have clearly knocked the ball clear out the park, they say its all in the detailing and yours rocks.

Just imagine what his ship looks like.....

Great Great work.

Vertex

Matt-Clark
01-25-2002, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by sherban
i don't mean to pick but I seem to recall something about friendly looking...
:cool: model nontheless

Have people forgotten his smiley mask already?

-JT-
01-25-2002, 08:49 AM
Pfiou ! That's what i call modelling.
Amazing work, well done Matt, it's really inspiring. :)

rendermonkey23
01-25-2002, 01:53 PM

Have people forgotten his smiley mask already?

HAHA, no way dood, that thing cracks me up. BUT..... what about the tail.

Dum da dum dummmmm.....

Awsome model Matt.

Matt-Clark
01-26-2002, 11:20 PM
Tail schmail! It doesn't fit the character. I could give him a pony tail, or add coat tails to his costume...it's all about interpretation of the rules...

Anyway, I had to re-skin the whole character as I changed a lot of the geometry, so he's poseable again now. Just a few tests:

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/poses.jpg

:eek: he's bald under that hat!

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/bow.jpg

alphatron
01-27-2002, 01:13 AM
The addition to the legs is very praying mantis like.. gives him an insect feel.

I'm torn between wether I like him with the mask or without.. but with fills the critera better, as it makes him look quite jovial.

pascal_blanche
01-28-2002, 09:08 PM
doesn' t need tail... work perfectly like this! great work Matt! I love the style and details on your pirate! thx for taking time for the challenge, you are certainly as busy as I am ;)
Did you mentionned that it is maybe one of your most detailled characters so far? Same for me.. this challenge was really something, really! ( love the bald pose huhuhu)

underdog
01-28-2002, 09:43 PM
awesome work matt! He's really turned out great, I like the anchor...must help him balance out that arm :)

Matt-Clark
01-28-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by pascal blanché
doesn' t need tail... work perfectly like this! great work Matt! I love the style and details on your pirate! thx for taking time for the challenge, you are certainly as busy as I am ;)
Did you mentionned that it is maybe one of your most detailled characters so far? Same for me.. this challenge was really something, really! ( love the bald pose huhuhu)

Yep, this is probably the most complex character I've ever made :) Half the reason for that is because everytime I checked your thread you'd upped the stakes and I'd have to go back and tweak some more ;)

Cédric
01-28-2002, 10:30 PM
Blanché versus Clark : the battle of the Titans

Blanché contre Clark : la bataille des Titans

pascal_blanche
01-28-2002, 10:39 PM
Half the reason for that is because everytime I checked your thread you'd upped the stakes and I'd have to go back and tweak some more ;)

yeah huh funny :D :D this is the snake that bites his own tail... My motivations where the same huhuh... that was a really interesting modelling challenge, I think we learned a lot ;)

Taoizm
01-28-2002, 11:50 PM
Hats off to both you guys. :D :D :D

fellipe
01-29-2002, 12:00 AM
yhea. you could name this challenge "The Pascal VS Matt Challenge". We already know the winners =) (enought with the "every one wins" teory. I must confess, i learned a lot with this challenge thing)

fellah
01-29-2002, 12:32 AM
if we shall vote, this one is going to be my first choice, good work!

Z-Buffer
01-29-2002, 04:34 AM
my vote goes for pascal, sorry...

AJ
01-29-2002, 04:49 AM
I have a new set of stakes...

The runner up will be dealt with a quick and painless death, the winner will have to endure a far more complex torture involving a tiger, some fishing line, a knitting needle, a narrow tunnel and a vat of salt...

Vive la resistance! - the weak WILL survive...

:p

Seriously - fantastic work, I just hope you two keep it up to keep us on our polygon toes. It's always the best learning experience/fun to have to face up to such high standards in a challenge - and I'm really looking forward to entering the next one!

*hat's off* - (no bald melon under this trilby though...) :P ;)

Matt-Clark
01-29-2002, 02:26 PM
A couple of test animations:

Unmasking
Unmasking animation. Divx 374 kb (http://www.3dluvr.com/acme/unmask.avi)

Drawing Sword
Drawing sword animation. Divx 333kb (http://www.3dluvr.com/acme/sword2.avi)

Matt-Clark
01-29-2002, 11:31 PM
http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/wire1.gif
http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/wire2.gif
http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/wire3.gif

pascal_blanche
01-29-2002, 11:34 PM
cool !! your mesh is as messy as mine:p :p

Matt-Clark
01-30-2002, 12:32 AM
cool !! your mesh is as messy as mine

How dare you! ;)

Are people having probs downloading the vids posted above?
I think 3dluvr keeps stalling....

Blarg
01-30-2002, 12:55 AM
I had no problems getting the vids.

Oh, and as long as I'm here, let me just say that I'm not impressed with your work.

STUNNED would be a better word. :)

baby
01-30-2002, 12:59 AM
hahaha never saw an armor bending like that !!!!
Is that Captain Chewing Gum ?!?

hahahaha.... ppppffffff..... :(((((((

I swear I will never come back on this forum...

'till tomorrow....

I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal, I hate Matt, I hate Pascal,

Cédric
01-30-2002, 01:22 AM
OUIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN

It s too beautifull :eek:
I want to do the same... Warning, In a few years, i ll take your place, lol...

OUIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNN

C' est trop beau :eek:
Je veux faire la meme chose... Attention, dans quelques années, je prend ta place, lol...

Matt-Clark
01-30-2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by baby
hahaha never saw an armor bending like that !!!!
Is that Captain Chewing Gum ?!?

Unfortunately the left shoulder pad turned out to be very restricting for the robotic arm. I had to deform the pad to allow full movement. Looks a bit odd granted...

jimpajammer
01-30-2002, 03:53 AM
wohaa!! thats a lot of polys...
looks cool though!!

goody two-shoes!

Y-Guy
01-30-2002, 07:11 AM
Ida know about people saying that is a messy mesh, it seems to work just fine when animated. So, unless there are problems with animation, I dont think a mesh is messy. But thats just me and I could be wrong.

parallax
01-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Ok Matt, the joke is over.
No more creature creator from now on :D

IronGoblin
01-30-2002, 04:42 PM
Hey Matt.

Great work. Seems like yer the king of smooth shifts and bevel... and probably a lot of other tools too.. :) Seeing your work makes me realise I've gotta plan ahead, and keep my polycount high.

Party on, Matt.

Matt-Clark
01-31-2002, 09:22 AM
WARNING - Large image comin' up.

This is probably one of the final renders for the deadline.
It's had a little post work in Painter for your viewing pleasure ;)

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/piratepaint.jpg

alben
01-31-2002, 09:39 AM
awesome. absolutely awesome work.

Nipper
01-31-2002, 10:33 AM
Very nice :)

I really like the brush strokes. They're subtle, but they add a lot of visual interest to the image. Great pose!

baby
01-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Is that an automatic effect or made by hand with a brush ?!?

Matt-Clark
01-31-2002, 06:47 PM
It's a manually added varnish. Can be nice to break up large areas of flat colour, without really altering the image underneath.

pascal_blanche
01-31-2002, 07:08 PM
great idea matt!! It adds a lot to the pict! i love it!

Wiro
01-31-2002, 09:37 PM
Hahaha, that guy is awesome! I love the friendly mask and the really ugly face underneath :P

And those anims look cool too. Man, tons of details in that mesh.

Wiro

alx
02-01-2002, 09:29 AM
Matt

Well, i posted a reply on Pascal's pirate model about 30 mins ago, ( it was the first model i saw of all) it was out of luck that he turned first, but anyway.
I also Love your pirate and incredible amount, specialy the little details, like for example the anchors on his shoes, i like that, it gives it a nice touch.
I also saw some of the diferent rendered images with different poses and i think that for his particular style and personality, the image where he is taking off his hat and is all mad, i think thats the strongest pose ( from the ones i saw). I know its late for the comments but i think its best to get em out than to keep em inside my head.
i also love the style that you got on him GREAT JOB, i read that there where some animations so ill go check em out, ( i read also that there is some bending so ill check it out see how it looks but still..... Im also very awed by your work
Very impressive
WOW

"i like it"

PS i think that the render is also preety good, as far as light and shadow"

Sincerely
alx
:D

subagio
02-01-2002, 02:30 PM
Aww, why am I bothering to post? You know I love the model Matt. Great stuff.

--C.

PS Not that crazy about the post treatment though. Looks a little on the cheap Kai's Power Syndrome side. You can tell when people ask if it's an automatic filter ;) It was good enough without, let the pure modelling shine.

Matt-Clark
02-01-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by subagio
Aww, why am I bothering to post? You know I love the model Matt. Great stuff.

--C.

PS Not that crazy about the post treatment though. Looks a little on the cheap Kai's Power Syndrome side. You can tell when people ask if it's an automatic filter ;) It was good enough without, let the pure modelling shine.

Agreed, and you'll be pleased to hear I left it off for the final entries. ;)

subagio
02-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Darn! And here's me thinking you'd gimped yourself :)

You know what's the worst gaffe? I thought that the entries were only supposed to be posted here. In my gusto to jump in while I could, I didn't realise that we had to e-mail em in. I don't know if I posted mine in time early this morning...

--C

Matt-Clark
02-01-2002, 08:29 PM
Chris: DOH!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for their comments, it's been good fun. :) I probably wont be around for the next challange as I'm throwing in the freelance towel and starting fulltime work on Monday. I'm guessing I won't even want to look a 3D prog in my spare time...

Finally, here's some scaled down versions of my entries. I don't think I'll ever get round to texturing him, I actually quite like him like this..

http://www.clarky85.freeserve.co.uk/cgtalk3.jpg

jimpajammer
02-01-2002, 08:39 PM
Wohaa!! Look ridiciously good... actually I like him with
the mask better. But you prolly like me better with a mask to (think latex and zipper!)

Faan-taaa-stikk (Borat of kazakstani TV)

where are you starting to work? any cool place?

nemo
02-07-2002, 09:23 AM
hey matt great job. I think out of them all yours was the most original. do you use max? no matter what you use you style is still coming thru. hope to see more from you:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.