PDA

View Full Version : Adding bones?

kuronekogrrl
09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
This is driving me up the wall, can anyone tell me how to add an extra bone in the middle of a chain. Have a look at pic to get an idea of what i'm talking about. When I got to add a bone it adds it to the last bone I added, which is at the end of the chain. Phu-lease help! :)

http://www.whiz.com.au/staff/pip/bones.jpg

daviddrbal
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Draw the bone in place you want it. Then parrent the bone to what you want it.

.... simple as that:)

shadowedge
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi,

I gave this a quick try in XSI. and it seems to be working fine. What I did was select the first bone in the chain and made it the parent of the new bone. That wy when i move the effector at the end of the chain, the new bone moves with the chain (from the middle where the root is supposed to be).

hope this helps

3DDave
09-12-2006, 10:26 PM
Parent the new bone to the main bone. To place the bone at the end of the main bone select the root of the new bone, select Transform/Match Translation and select the child bone. This will place it correctly.

kuronekogrrl
09-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Thanks for that! The only problem I'm having now is trying to orient a joint. When I select the joint and try to rotate it the rotate tool doesn't come up. I've opened the joint's propertites and typed in different values in the sliders but it still won't rotate. Am I meant to be working with a 2D or 3D chain to get this effect?

mattmos
09-13-2006, 01:56 AM
just guessing but are you an ex-maya user?

You should just be able to select the bone or root of the new bone, activate rotate and away you go, 2d or 3d, best to use 2d most of the time but doesn't really matter here.

Don't use the chain's properties to rotate, try ctrl + k to get local kinematics up, or just use the rotate options in the SRT side panel?

CGTalk Moderation
09-13-2006, 01:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.